New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 25, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #5,162 of 9,484
  Though for Can-Jam, we will be using Windows tablets...they take up less space, and allow us to use the same audio library across the board. 

Out of curiosity, which are you using? I've been toying with the idea of buying a tablet for use as my audio interface, but had no idea if their USB implementations are reasonable enough for audio playback. For the most part, my music library would be accessible over the network. but I didn't want to plug my DAC and headphone amp into a laptop that doesn't "stay in my listening area".

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #5,163 of 9,484
  Well I definitely, inadvertently, pissed off my neighbors for several hours last night. I didn't realize that my Ragnarok was set to speakers + headphones mode until about 2am.

As much as I love my Ragnarok (which is a great deal, I couldn't be happier with it sound-wise), the lack of a speaker/headphone mode indicator is a pretty tough design compromise to swallow.

Sure, it's easy enough to do a quick sound check before putting on your headphones, but I occasionally forget to do that since it's never been part of my routine before. To put the onus on the user rather than the system seems wrong. 

All in all, a relatively minor gripe, but as a UX designer these things really stand out to me (and now my neighbors too). 

Yeah, I hear you, Mitch. Even having memorized the "S-H-B" mantra (Speakers-Headphones-Both) I always double-check before cranking it.

Had an idea to make use of the source LEDs as indicator:

When you press and hold the button for 2 seconds, all 5 LEDs light up briefly and then the one which indicates current status remains lit - i.e. Number 1 denotes both, Number 3 is speakers only and Number 5 means phones only. If that's satisfactory, quickly let up on the button and commence enjoyment. To change, keep pressure on and the unit will cycle through the choices (as it does now) while the appropriate LED lights up. Lift, all five LEDs flash again, then all go out except the one for the selected source. 

Sees to me this could be implemented with some minor reprogramming, though since I'm not an engineer that's easy for me to say  
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #5,166 of 9,484
OK, so Mike and Jason have made their feelings re Micro$oft's pathetic support for USB DACs in Windows plain for how long, yet we still have people at a meet trying to hook Yggy up to a Windoze machine ? 

http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems

No idea if any of the existing Schiit drivers even work with Yggy on Windows, but is that something you'd be willing to find out at a meet ? 

http://schiit.com/drivers

Seems like one case where Mac and Linux are the safest option - Windows 8 has its moments, but this is not its finest hour. 

First of all, not sure what are you complaining about. According to Schiit the Windows drivers will work fine.

And second, it's not exactly fair to accuse MS here. They are not the ones cashing the extra money for the drivers. And if they provide a USB2 audio driver that will put many 3rd party vendors out of work...how would you like to be one of those and have your bread eaten by MS's driver? MS is already accused of monopoly practices, could very well be that they decided not to put any more fuel on that fire.

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #5,169 of 9,484
Well lookee what just showed up at the studio for it's photo shoot!

I spent last evening listening to it through my Mjolnir and LCD-X's...initial impressions to follow.

But suffice it to say that if you're going to SoCal CanJam, you would do well to stop by their booth for a listen.  I know I will be.

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #5,170 of 9,484
First of all, not sure what are you complaining about. According to Schiit the Windows drivers will work fine.

And second, it's not exactly fair to accuse MS here. They are not the ones cashing the extra money for the drivers. And if they provide a USB2 audio driver that will put many 3rd party vendors out of work...how would you like to be one of those and have your bread eaten by MS's driver? MS is already accused of monopoly practices, could very well be that they decided not to put any more fuel on that fire.

I'm still laughing over here. Seriously, painting MS as the victim? That's an impressive act of cognitive dissonance.

This is a spec. An old one. There is absolutely no need to make a bunch of drivers - it should plug in and just work. Like it does everywhere else. The system recognizes a device registered under that spec and treats it accordingly - just like all other devices which support that spec. Microsoft writes this once, puts it in the OS, and everything works.

Because they refuse to do this, we have a mishmash of poorly written re-implementations from essentially every DAC company that wants to make a modern product. They conflict with each other, may not work properly, and screw up your system. I'm not saying Schiit is a culprit here - that's the reality of the space. And to enter that space, you assume support burden not just for your own code but for the crap other people have written.

As for putting people out of work - also still laughing. Because instead they could be, I don't know, spending that time making better products? Or cheaper ones? Here's a news flash for you: supporting Windows for an otherwise fully compliant USB Audio 2.0 device is a massive drain on resources. It is not in any way bread. This is a negative sum game, and the finger is pointed directly at Redmond. See also: the broken window fallacy.

Monopoly practices... not even touching that one. Dismissed on its face, not worth my time.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #5,172 of 9,484

I spent last evening listening to it through my Mjolnir and LCD-X's...initial impressions to follow.

But suffice it to say that if you're going to SoCal CanJam, you would do well to stop by their booth for a listen.  I know I will be.

Leesure,
Question:
Are you using a PC or,a Mac?
If it's PC,did you use the USB connection,if so,,were there any issues?

Mike

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #5,174 of 9,484
I'm still laughing over here. Seriously, painting MS as the victim? That's an impressive act of cognitive dissonance.

This is a spec. An old one. There is absolutely no need to make a bunch of drivers - it should plug in and just work. Like it does everywhere else. The system recognizes a device registered under that spec and treats it accordingly - just like all other devices which support that spec. Microsoft writes this once, puts it in the OS, and everything works.

Because they refuse to do this, we have a mishmash of poorly written re-implementations from essentially every DAC company that wants to make a modern product. They conflict with each other, may not work properly, and screw up your system. I'm not saying Schiit is a culprit here - that's the reality of the space. And to enter that space, you assume support burden not just for your own code but for the crap other people have written.

As for putting people out of work - also still laughing. Because instead they could be, I don't know, spending that time making better products? Or cheaper ones? Here's a news flash for you: supporting Windows for an otherwise fully compliant USB Audio 2.0 device is a massive drain on resources. It is not in any way bread. This is a negative sum game, and the finger is pointed directly at Redmond. See also: the broken window fallacy.

Monopoly practices... not even touching that one. Dismissed on its face, not worth my time.

As you wish. Just wanted to say that there were a lot more points of view than yours as a Dac buyer. There are the Dac devs which prolly agree 100% with you ... there are the 3rd party driver devs who will completely disagree ... there are a few judges who look at monopoly trials.... and Microsoft who prolly couldnt care less about broken window fallacies.

Maybe you can look at more than your own view. Many other people have many other problems ... other than solving your wishes. Or maybe you know a way to make all those ppl happy.

P.S.
I'm no MS employee and not much of a fan. Just someone with 20+ years of software exp. MS deserves the blame for lots of things. *Maybe* not for this one.

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #5,175 of 9,484

more pics please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back