New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 22, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #5,131 of 9,484
  Just wondering if you have ever used a dedicated Audio PC, and if so have you heard major differences between a standard windows laptop and the audio PC while using the Yggy? 

Just curious but what do you mean buy a "dedicated audio PC"? Do you mean like a streamer/server or just an HTPC with only an high-end audio-card/interface of some form? 
eek.gif

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #5,132 of 9,484
  Just curious but what do you mean buy a "dedicated audio PC"? Do you mean like a streamer/server or just an HTPC with only an high-end audio-card/interface of some form? 
eek.gif

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/section/c-p-s-489/

http://www.aurender.com/page/w20

http://www.coreaudiotechnology.com/products/music-servers/kryptos-se-music-server/

and about a bazillion roll-your-own possible configs from the Intel NUC to that weird aquarium that doubles as a music server and costs more than the family car .... 

http://www.coreaudiotechnology.com/package-deals/aquarium-music-server/

Yup, 120 lbs, probably well over 19K delivered and you get an aquarium full of mineral oil. I dont know what they're smoking, but clearly they havent set fire to themselves. Yet  :wink:

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #5,133 of 9,484
Anyone pairing the Rag with LCD-X? Which gain setting do you prefer ?

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #5,134 of 9,484
I like it with low on the LCD-3 which is less effecient than the X, surely low gain is enough for the X's

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #5,135 of 9,484
  Anyone pairing the Rag with LCD-X? Which gain setting do you prefer ?

Quote:
I like it with low on the LCD-3 which is less effecient than the X, surely low gain is enough for the X's

This brings up the question to me…

Are there any differences in SQ between the 3 stages of gain?

I'm almost close enough now to being able to tell, well, I hope that is the case anyways.

JJ

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #5,136 of 9,484

I'm almost close enough now to being able to tell, well, I hope that is the case anyways.

JJ

Not really, somewhat of a quieter background on low gain is why I use it, and there's still plenty of power for my LCD-3's on low gain still. When I switch over to my KEF LS50 speakers then I go to high gain and even then there's still plenty of headroom.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #5,137 of 9,484
  http://www.coreaudiotechnology.com/package-deals/aquarium-music-server/

Yup, 120 lbs, probably well over 19K delivered and you get an aquarium full of mineral oil. I dont know what they're smoking, but clearly they havent set fire to themselves. Yet  :wink:

Speechless.

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #5,139 of 9,484

JJ

Not really, somewhat of a quieter background on low gain is why I use it, and there's still plenty of power for my LCD-3's on low gain still. When I switch over to my KEF LS50 speakers then I go to high gain and even then there's still plenty of headroom.

I hear those KEF LS50 speakers sound marvellous.

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #5,140 of 9,484
Mar 23, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #5,141 of 9,484
not to mention being a total rip off, they even stole the Puget Systems picture...they've been doing this a long time

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

What makes you think that they only stole the picture? Seems to me that it's exactly the same system. And a typical scam: put the "audiophile" label on a product and sell it for 10x the price.
This one is also particularly dumb because overclocking and a huge graphic card are big no-no-s for an audiopc: wont help in any way and may even hurt the sound because of the increased electrical activity and potential stability issues.

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #5,142 of 9,484
What makes you think that they only stole the picture? Seems to me that it's exactly the same system. And a typical scam: put the "audiophile" label on a product and sell it for 10x the price.
This one is also particularly dumb because overclocking and a huge graphic card are big no-no-s for an audiopc: wont help in any way and may even hurt the sound because of the increased electrical activity and potential stability issues.

Don't forget that Puget doesn't actually make that system anymore (for legal reasons, apparently).

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #5,144 of 9,484
Originally Posted by Baldr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The other is Windoze drivers. We need to experiment with the best way to off-load old/on load new or experimental drivers in a reproducible manner. We also need to verify that new drivers are even necessary. Generally speaking, Windoze drivers are quirky and unreliable, period. This will only affect Windoze pilgrims using USB. Mac and Linux USB users will be unaffected and unpunished.

Thanks to all for waiting – we are still in that portion of production where we are dependent on our assy house.

I've found mileage varies on all of the different platforms.  My audio experience in Win7 has been flawless and trouble-free.  When I recently tried to connect my DAC/pre-amp to my Linux system via USB not only did it not work (and its supposed to have the same "just works" driverless USB audio support Mac has), but it caused the whole system to hard freeze on boot (every boot) until I ungplugged the USB cable.  I never could get it resolved and had to give up.  While my results are probably atypical they serve to highlight how hard it is to generalize about OS platforms given how different the configurations can be.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #5,145 of 9,484
  I've found mileage varies on all of the different platforms.  My audio experience in Win7 has been flawless and trouble-free.  When I recently tried to connect my DAC/pre-amp to my Linux system via USB not only did it not work (and its supposed to have the same "just works" driverless USB audio support Mac has), but it caused the whole system to hard freeze on boot (every boot) until I ungplugged the USB cable.  I never could get it resolved and had to give up.  While my results are probably atypical they serve to highlight how hard it is to generalize about OS platforms given how different the configurations can be.

There was a month where my Yeti Pro USB mic wouldn't work with Windows 8. No audio related patches came through during that time, but it just suddenly worked again. I put it down to black magic and moved on. I've since started using a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 for it's mic preamps and phantom power, and they have a much better driver (they have more money to pay programmers). Haven't had problems yet, but I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

TL;DR - Windows drivers are witchcraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back