New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 24, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #1,501 of 9,484
Ouch. A big price hike before it even gets released. The increased price also makes it more expensive to audition--if that's even possible anymore. I was definitely in at $1499, but I have to think about it at $1699. I wish I could audition the Rag with my LCD-X's and don't put much confidence in the insider softball reviews on the way.  :confused_face(1):  

If $1699 sounds expensive, try comparing a similar power-spec Cavalli Liquid Gold (no speaker outs) at $4K and that's the recently reduced price.

A Woo WA5 only gives you 10 Watts per channel at the speaker outs for $3500.

The Rag spec is pretty incredible for $1699. My $1699 is burning a hole in my PayPal account.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #1,502 of 9,484

Ouch. A big price hike before it even gets released. 

Not really a price hike, it never had a "price".  The only actual price is what you can buy one for.  The difference between expected price and sales price cannot really be called a "price hike".  Keep in mind, $1699 is not the "price" either, as there's no one to take your money and give you an amp right now.  That number may well change, too.

Don't take any of these numbers to heart, just yet.  Jason is many things, but "patient enough to delay releasing information until it is set in stone" is not one of them :)

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #1,503 of 9,484
In a world where people spend thousands on cables, a $200 price adjustment on a complicated amplifier poised to redefine high end value is a 'big price hike'?

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,504 of 9,484
Speaking of specs…
I am interested to see what the final 'published' specs for both units will entail.
I suspect that the Rok will sport some mighty impressive numbers, like a FR of DC to light! 
atsmile.gif

And Yagi already has "the biggest, baddest digital filter out there--18,000+ taps with closed-form solution retaining the original samples", not to mention it's "proprietary Schiit Pivot-Point differential current-feedback topology"…  

Now all I need is a translation.
Perhaps we'll see some further insights here or in the Schiit Happened thread.
I for one do appreciate detailed tech explanations.

But it'll be the sound that will be my primary focus, and the Mojo sets a pretty high standard already. :thumb

JJ

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #1,505 of 9,484
The price of Rag was "1400~1600", The price was never fixed despite some people's belief. The price shown during the meets are placeholder, and Schiit's final price is always has been when they post their products on the site finally.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #1,506 of 9,484
If $1699 sounds expensive, try comparing a similar power-spec Cavalli Liquid Gold (no speaker outs) at $4K and that's the recently reduced price.

A Woo WA5 only gives you 10 Watts per channel at the speaker outs for $3500.

The Rag spec is pretty incredible for $1699. My $1699 is burning a hole in my PayPal account.
$1699 isn't cheap. But at this level, you're starting to compare it against the likes of the cavallis, woos, gs-x, among others. I'm looking at the auralic Taurus, which is $1899 and doesn't have nearly as many features. But in the end, it will all be about how it sounds and how it mates with my headphones. If it sounds as good as I hope, $1699 may indeed be a "bargain"...

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #1,507 of 9,484
  The price of Rag was "1400~1600", The price was never fixed despite some people's belief. The price shown during the meets are placeholder, and Schiit's final price is always has been when they post their products on the site finally.

Yeah!

And that was in 2013 dollars! 
atsmile.gif
  hahahahaha

JJ

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #1,508 of 9,484
"Welcome to HeadFi! Sorry about your wallet (and your pockets)."
tongue.gif

se

That's a dirty lie!...

You're not sorry at all
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #1,510 of 9,484
Actually I'm a so much a coffee aficionado as I am a craven chocoholic. My drug of choice is the mocha. Not so I can have a little chocolate with my coffee, but so I can have a little coffee with my chocolate.

se

I can appreciate coffee as a medium for chocolate on occasion! I'd just encourage you to drop a few pieces of valrhona into your steamed milk and stir. Then mix that with a manual shot of something like intelligentsia back cat (which already has chocolate undertones), and there's no going back.

Also, on topic, I am pretty excited to hear the Rag. You don't see spritzer and dr. gilmore lavishing praise on a whole lot of commercial designs. This amp must be legit. Is the crossfet output topology analogous to susy?

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #1,511 of 9,484
In a world where people spend thousands on cables, a $200 price adjustment on a complicated amplifier poised to redefine high end value is a 'big price hike'?

Granted, there is also the MSB TECHNOLOGY: Diamond DAC IV, which including all the upgrades, come around to $40,000 (~$21,000 base). I sometimes wonder what kind of tech warrants that price... Can't be THAT much better than what Yggy is sporting.

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #1,512 of 9,484
Not to mention Light Harmonic Da Vinci at ≈20K or ≈31K  
Or their 120+K uber dac

Crazy numbers for those with more dollars than cents? 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #1,513 of 9,484
And Yagi already has "the biggest, baddest digital filter out there--18,000+ taps with closed-form solution retaining the original samples", not to mention it's "proprietary Schiit Pivot-Point differential current-feedback topology"…  

Now all I need is a translation.

I think the translation is that Jason is yanking our chain. Not that I don't fall for it every time...he's got the marketing touch.

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,514 of 9,484
$1699 is perfectly fine, you have to remember that this is supposed to be Schiit's "statement product".

And as statement products go $1699 is pretty reasonable these days when you compare to HD800, LCD-3, Luxman, Auralic, Cavalli, Stax, HeadAmp, Eddie Current etc etc.

If $1699 is too much for you then there's always the mjolnir/violectic and other amps.

And if you're new to the hobby remember that you can get very close to end game reference performance with a matrix m-stage and a pair of HD600... something like the Ragnarok was always meant to be for those who are seeking the last 5-10% and who are prepared to pay for it.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,515 of 9,484
  $1699 is perfectly fine, you have to remember that this is supposed to be Schiit's "statement product".

And as statement products go $1699 is pretty reasonable these days when you compare to HD800, LCD-3, Luxman, Auralic, Cavalli, Stax, HeadAmp, Eddie Current etc etc.

If $1699 is too much for you then there's always the mjolnir/violectic and other amps.

And if you're new to the hobby remember that you can get very close to end game reference performance with a matrix m-stage and a pair of HD600... something like the Ragnarok was always meant to be for those who are seeking the last 5-10% and who are prepared to pay for it.

+1 I am prepared to pay even the extortionist tax of 35% added to an item coming into Ireland from america and the near 300 dollar delivery of a product that weights more than 14 kilos. 

You guys are gonna get a barging over their in the states compared to what some will pay and even with 895 dollars added on to the 1699 price i still think its a bargain! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back