New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #1,366 of 9,484
Ragnarok actually runs quite warm...not exactly Asgard level, but probably 35 degrees C in a normal room. So it could get very hot in, say, an 80-85 degree (F) room. 

BTW, the second final production qualifier is complete, with the full and final software (the last one didn't have output switching in place.) Parts are going out to PCB assembly starting this week. I'm hoping to get one out to Jude this week for some listening, and another out for photos.

One note: even if ordering opens up this month, don't expect it to be an "on the shelves" thing...it's more of a craft build project than our other stuff. I expect we will be saying "Order now, and we'll ship in 2-3 weeks." This allows us to better manage space (Ragnarok is huge) and also to do a full 4-5 days of burn-in. I want these to be perfect...and flawless.

Sounds like it will be some really great Schiit, Jason. Well worth the wait to get it all right.

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #1,367 of 9,484
Jason,

what's your guide page going to say about Ragnarok vs. Mjolnir?  I just got a Mjolnir last week....

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #1,368 of 9,484
I'd guess it'd be…

It has
MOAR 
of everything…

Inputs
Outputs
Switches
Power
Refinement
Tweako cool stuff
Weight
Heat
Price

AND less
of everything else
Distortion
Noise
Limitations

JJ
atsmile.gif

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,369 of 9,484
Thanks Jason - appreciate the advice on both fronts.

@Armaegis, I agree 100%, and it definitely wasn't my intent to slag off t-amps : I am a massive fan of Class D for those of us who live in cramped apartments, particularly in the Tropics.  From the end of this month, I get just two seasons per year : dry and wet. I was going to prefix those with 'hot', but it's a bit redundant .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Malaysia#Climate

I chose the humble t-amp simply because it's at the other end of the spectrum from the traditional Class A space heater amplifier.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #1,370 of 9,484
Will anyone with a Taurus be getting this one too?
Would be an interesting comparison.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,371 of 9,484
Looking forward for feedback with HE-6 out of speaker ports, if Jude can do that it would be awesome 

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,372 of 9,484
  Looking forward for feedback with HE-6 out of speaker ports, if Jude can do that it would be awesome 

Didn't they say speaker ports would be the same as the regular headphone outs in terms of sound quality? So how would that matter?

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #1,373 of 9,484

Didn't they say speaker ports would be the same as the regular headphone outs in terms of sound quality? So how would that matter?

does output watts would also be same?

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,374 of 9,484

does output watts would also be same?

I believe so, they didn't talk about separate output stages. The resistance of the speaker/headphone is the biggest factor in how much power it gets from the amplifier. But we should wait and see... I got myself the Auralic Vega, so now I'm trying to decide on Taurus vs Ragnarok.

Ragnarok would be a more versatile choice, the only thing missing from Ragnarok now is Phono stage :wink:

But Taurus so far from what I've read, matches the faceplate of my Auralic Vega and based on specs kicks every amps balls (Even GS-X mk2 based on their own specs) and personally, I like the Auralic Vega knob a lot! I'm not using it for volume control because I've got my Lyr atm...

And while I'm enjoying my Lyr, I want something that both measures well and is a giant killer (Like Auralic Vega vs Antelope Zodiac Platinum with Auralic Vega one punch knockouts the Antelope rival), maybe a bit more punch, not necessary though...  anyhow I'm rambling a lot :p

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #1,375 of 9,484

I believe so, they didn't talk about separate output stages. The resistance of the speaker/headphone is the biggest factor in how much power it gets from the amplifier. But we should wait and see... I got myself the Auralic Vega, so now I'm trying to decide on Taurus vs Ragnarok.

Ragnarok would be a more versatile choice, the only thing missing from Ragnarok now is Phono stage :wink:

But Taurus so far from what I've read, matches the faceplate of my Auralic Vega and based on specs kicks every amps balls (Even GS-X mk2 based on their own specs) and personally, I like the Auralic Vega knob a lot! I'm not using it for volume control because I've got my Lyr atm...

And while I'm enjoying my Lyr, I want something that both measures well and is a giant killer (Like Auralic Vega vs Antelope Zodiac Platinum with Auralic Vega one punch knockouts the Antelope rival), maybe a bit more punch, not necessary though...  anyhow I'm rambling a lot :p

You haven't seen the specs for the GS-X mk2.  The specs on the website are for the GS-X mk1.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,376 of 9,484

You haven't seen the specs for the GS-X mk2.  The specs on the website are for the GS-X mk1.

Well I think as serious as Justin is, he's not serious enough. I know he's busy, but Jason figured out how to do these things, they figured out a business model, even selling mostly direct and still with all the demand, it's quality products for low prices. It's about having the demand and not being able to handle it, and if you haven't the time to bother and update the specs/pics on the new model, you're not doing it right, sorry.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,377 of 9,484
No need to be sorry
biggrin.gif
  He sells out each and every run.  So he must be doing something right.  Those who know, know.  Those who don't, don't..  

Also - he is beyond serious - He's OCD..In a very good way of course.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #1,378 of 9,484

Well I think as serious as Justin is, he's not serious enough. I know he's busy, but Jason figured out how to do these things, they figured out a business model, even selling mostly direct and still with all the demand, it's quality products for low prices. It's about having the demand and not being able to handle it, and if you haven't the time to bother and update the specs/pics on the new model, you're not doing it right, sorry.

Justin has a different model, but no one hustles harder for the head-fi community.  He shows up at every meet he can with a car load of top equipment. He sends out headphones to audition for free. The GSX-mk2 and BHSE are also benchmarks in the head-fi community.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #1,379 of 9,484
  No need to be sorry
biggrin.gif
  He sells out each and every run.  So he must be doing something right.  Those who know, know.  Those who don't, don't..  

Also - he is beyond serious - He's OCD..In a very good way of course.

+1 - I would rather him put his time towards building amps than updating pics on a site. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,380 of 9,484

Look, you either get Justin or you don't. Personally, I was pretty peeved when I realised that you not only have to fork out serious dollars for one of his amps (particularly after the GS-1 disappeared), you have to wait in a lengthy queue. The thing is that he doesn't do anything by half measures - the guy is a perfectionist. *If* a GS-1, GS-X or BHSE appears for sale - here or elsewhere - it's sold in a matter of hours, and I've yet to see a single complaint re his workmanship.

I agree that the site could use some love, but when you have that many backorders, it makes sense to concentrate on actually building amps and answering queries from folk anxiously waiting in the queue. Call it a cult - whatever - but I cant think of too many in this hobby that enjoy that kind of following. I'd love to be able to walk into a b&m shop and audition the GS-X, but its not going to happen.

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/headamp-gs-x-mk2-balanced-headphone-amp-pre-amplifier-dact

Users who are viewing this thread

Back