New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Aug 5, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #9,376 of 9,484
If I had known this combo sounded so good with HD800 and HD650, I would have bought it when I started Head-Fi. Instead of going through several amps and dacs. I haven't power on my tube amp for 3 days because this combo mesmerised my ears. Now my Forza Audioworks cables for HD800 and ZMF Eikon has just shipped, it can only get better.

Soundstage is astonishingly wide and that bass. It has impact.

It wouldn't be head fi if you didn't go on a journey to your end game rig...

Aug 5, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #9,378 of 9,484
If I had known this combo sounded so good with HD800 and HD650, I would have bought it when I started Head-Fi. Instead of going through several amps and dacs. I haven't power on my tube amp for 3 days because this combo mesmerised my ears. Now my Forza Audioworks cables for HD800 and ZMF Eikon has just shipped, it can only get better.

Soundstage is astonishingly wide and that bass. It has impact.

I can attest and confirm what you have observed as well.
And they scale REALLY well, too.

JJ

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #9,379 of 9,484
Can't find it. Can you link it?
I guess it was deleted. They are Wywires Blue, not red. Red is one of the headphone cables. I have my Schiit stacked as they intended. As so, these are short ICs that work with a Schiit Ragg/Yiggy stack. PM me if interested. inexpensive considering quality.
DSC_1707.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #9,380 of 9,484
I can attest and confirm what you have observed as well.
And they scale REALLY well, too.

JJ

Ah thank you. At least I know I'm not alone in loving this Yggdrasil and Ragnarok combo. It's been pretty quiet around here. So I thought everybody has left and this combo is out of fashion.

However, as far as I'm concerned, it's a great sounding setup. Especially in balance mode. I'm still pretty amazed at what I hear.

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #9,381 of 9,484
I guess it was deleted. They are Wywires Blue, not red. Red is one of the headphone cables.

I see. I need a 1 metre pair of xlr balance interconnects. I'm using a budget pair now but it sounds great. I also have the Pyst ones but that's too short unless I stack Rag atop Yggy. However I rather keep those 2 units side by side.

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #9,382 of 9,484
I see. I need a 1 metre pair of xlr balance interconnects. I'm using a budget pair now but it sounds great. I also have the Pyst ones but that's too short unless I stack Rag atop Yggy. However I rather keep those 2 units side by side.
Each to their own. Yes, this has been a quiet thread for the last six or so months. After my Lyr/Bifrost stack, I decided to get the best Schiit had to offer and go from there. I guess a bunch of people had the same idea and you get real content with the Yiggy/Ragg stack. All you need to do then is switch out headphones for flavor of the day.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #9,383 of 9,484
I guess it was deleted. They are Wywires Blue, not red. Red is one of the headphone cables. I have my Schiit stacked as they intended. As so, these are short ICs that work with a Schiit Ragg/Yiggy stack. PM me if interested. inexpensive considering quality.

They look nice and good quality but I need 1 metre. If you have that length, let me know.

The store where I bought my Yggdrasil and Ragnarok, wanted to sell me this floor stock (JPS Lab Super Conductor Q) for $700 but I'm resisting spending so much on interconnects as of now.

2061-5.jpg

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #9,384 of 9,484
My Ragnarok is one week old and my Yggdrasil is 2 months plus old. I believe Rag is already burn in to 100 hours at Schiit manufacturing plant.

With a HD650 using 4 pin xlr balanced cable, the tone is majestic. Turning the volume to 1pm and at gain level 2, it is better than V-MAX sound. Forget 3D. Try 5D. Bass? Are you kidding? I have not heard HD650 belting out bass like a champ. My modified HD650 is transmitting all the musical notes with authority.

Whilst waiting for my balanced cable for HD800 to arrive and also waiting on the ZMF Eikon from Zach, I'm getting such a performance from my modified HD650, I wonder how much better it can get.

In balanced mode, the tone is full on with details and the clarity of an x-ray machine. I have not heard soundstage this wide and deep. It's even wider and deeper than La Figaro 339, which I also own and love. I have often praise the bass weight of La Figaro 339 but you should hear what Ragnarok can do. It does it effortlessly and with such authority.

If you are deciding on an end game setup, give the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok a listen with HD800 and HD650. Also Audeze LCD-2 or 3 or X. Also ZMK Atticus and Eikon. Hell, I would even hunt down a good pair of HE-6 to try. :)

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #9,385 of 9,484
My Ragnarok is one week old and my Yggdrasil is 2 months plus old. I believe Rag is already burn in to 100 hours at Schiit manufacturing plant.

With a HD650 using 4 pin xlr balanced cable, the tone is majestic. Turning the volume to 1pm and at gain level 2, it is better than V-MAX sound. Forget 3D. Try 5D. Bass? Are you kidding? I have not heard HD650 belting out bass like a champ. My modified HD650 is transmitting all the musical notes with authority.

Whilst waiting for my balanced cable for HD800 to arrive and also waiting on the ZMF Eikon from Zach, I'm getting such a performance from my modified HD650, I wonder how much better it can get.

In balanced mode, the tone is full on with details and the clarity of an x-ray machine. I have not heard soundstage this wide and deep. It's even wider and deeper than La Figaro 339, which I also own and love. I have often praise the bass weight of La Figaro 339 but you should hear what Ragnarok can do. It does it effortlessly and with such authority.

If you are deciding on an end game setup, give the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok a listen with HD800 and HD650. Also Audeze LCD-2 or 3 or X. Also ZMK Atticus and Eikon. Hell, I would even hunt down a good pair of HE-6 to try. :)
Its these kinda words that cause us hell with our spouses/girlfriends/mistresses/wallets/piggy banks/safe deposit boxes......

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #9,386 of 9,484
Its these kinda words that cause us hell with our spouses/girlfriends/mistresses/wallets/piggy banks/safe deposit boxes......

What you need to do is find a girlfriend who is hot, loaded (so she can fund your hobby - I mean addiction) and love head-fi as much as you do. Then both of you can listen using headphones at the same time. Both the SE and balanced headphones connection on Rag's front can be used simultaneously. There's enough juice for 2 full size headphones no matter what their impedance. Rag even drives top class IEMs to perfection.

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #9,388 of 9,484

snip
What I noticed when my Rok 'settled in' was there was an additional razor sharpness/absolute diaphragm control aspect that just locked everything down, and expanded the perception of the acoustic space, at the same time.

It's a very nice pairing, especially on 800's.

JJ

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #9,389 of 9,484
What I noticed when my Rok 'settled in' was there was an additional razor sharpness/absolute diaphragm control aspect that just locked everything down, and expanded the perception of the acoustic space, at the same time.

It's a very nice pairing, especially on 800's.

JJ

That's good to know. That means the best is yet to come for me as my Ragnarok 'settles in' further.

I particularly like the fast transient response and the bass has the right tone and control. The whole frequency spectrum is so linear and clear. What is amazing is that the high frequency does not trouble your ears. It is not piercing but rather a very natural and relaxing tone.

This was what happen the morning I went to Addicted To Audio to audition Ragnarok against Violectric v281. I'm sure glad I went home with Ragnarok. It's been meeting all my expectations and more.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-tube-amps.854783/page-30#post-13628000

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #9,390 of 9,484
One aspect I REALLY like is its ability to deliver effortless power all the way down into the subsonic frequency range, with vise-grip like control.
And 800's will NEVER run out of power in class A operation, not to mention the rest of the a/b power available.

And the cyclotron circuit enables this degree of finesse and control with relative simplicity in the audio path.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back