Feliks Audio tube amps
Jul 28, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #436 of 1,113
It was a private invitation to an audition of the new Stax T8000 amp but i was there solely for the BHSE/009/007 combo. So tempting. Good power, good dynamics and that sweet tube-inflicted mid-range which in comparison made my Carbon sound slightly drier.

Very nice Ross. You must be some Datuk. Next time invite me yeah? :)

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #437 of 1,113
2 hours before I head to A2A but I'm having a blast with Euforia + Yggy + HD800. 2 months since I have this setup together and the synergy is incredible for me. Running just ordinary tubes, Psvane 6sn7 + Rca 6as7g, any music that I play just sounds right to my ears.

Euforia is definitely not going anywhere. It will be in my Den come winter, summer, spring or autumn.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #440 of 1,113
I will listen to KEF LS50 through Rag. Meanwhile the LCD 2.2 is being readied for listening in balanced mode on both amps.

20170729_111635.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #442 of 1,113
Is the lcd2 fazor or non fazor version. I personally prefer the non fazor one. More musical

All new LCD2.2 are fazor. The Audeze headphone sounded marvelous on both amps. There was a track by Daft Punk where the bass came on...... and it caused my eye brows to shoot upwards.

Jul 29, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #443 of 1,113
29th July 2017
My final audition of Violectric V281 and Ragnorak before purchase. I set out to A2A with an open mind. I have no preference up until that point. From previous listening sessions, I recall that I like both. So the day finally arrived. Which amp will impressed me or will neither impressed me at all? :beyersmile:

Ragnarok
I started off using the LCD2.2 listening to Ragnarok in balanced mode. This is the first time I have heard this headphone and what an introduction. The Rag brings out the best in the LCD2.2 in my humble ears opinion. So much bass impact and such rich vocals. Treble as expected is lopped off but overall it's a real fun listen. I love it. I wonder if the ZMF Eikon will cause more excitement than the LCD2.2. Something tells me it will - big time. Next I put on HD800 in balanced mode. The next few minutes were the most unexpected of my musical life. HD800 came alive and sang like I've never heard her before. The whole frequency spectrum ignited and the Senns launch off into orbit. The real surprise was the bass. Never did I expect HD800 to extend so low and belt out bass with so much authority. I was really impressed. Reluctantly, I ask Tom to switch over to v281 for the next part of the audition.

Violectric v281
Sadly, after the stellar sound that I heard from Rag, both LCD2.2 and HD800 in balanced mode, sounded soft and far too relaxed with the v281. Last week, the v281 impressed me big time but now back to back with the Ragnarok, the magic's gone. Rag literally stole the show. If you are a Violectric v281 fan, please understand this is my opinion and it is what I hear. I do not wish to cause anguish amongst Violectric fans. Everyone's different. Someone will hear exactly differently from what I hear and come to a different conclusion. That's ok. In audio, it's all subjective. I don't expect everyone to be the same.

Finally to be absolutely sure, I ask Tom to hook up a pair of KEF LS50 to the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok combo. When the first song started playing, a big smile broke out of my face. It is really good. It is so good, my decision on which amp to buy is basically done.

I told Tom to pack up the Rag and I'm taking it home. :ksc75smile:

Some pictures...

20170729_112632.jpg

20170729_113741.jpg

20170729_120138.jpg

@Mshenay I thought you might be interested to know which amp I finally bought and I don't want to discuss this on the ZMF headphone thread. :)

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #446 of 1,113
Having heard the Yggy/Ragg/HD800 twice now and not being impressed, I wanna give it another listen. This time in a quiet environment.

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #448 of 1,113
I tried on HD800, T1 and HD650 back home and the Yggy and Rggy combo just belt out the tunes like a maestro conductor. HD650 scales like a champion. :ksc75smile:

There's bite in this combo. It's transparent and revealing. It is faster than Usain Bolt. When the bass string is plucked, the decay is exact. There's no overhang if it's not intended in the recording. Listening to 'Rock You Gently' by Jennifer Warnes of the Hunter album, the bass is powerful and tight. It's quality bass with impact. Never heard HD650 mid bass with so much authority. Moving on to 'Gravity' by John Mayer, I am now hooked by the music. I'm indeed pulled by gravity towards ground, though half of me wants to soar above. :gs1000smile:

Bass, mid and treble. The whole frequency spectrum is laced with chilli. It's alive and yet it's smooth. There's not a trace of hardness that makes you want to yank off your headphone. There's no fatigue after several hours of music. On the contrary, the musical notes have a special zing. Even listening to Mahler Symphony No. 3, I can gravitate with the musical score even though it's a more relaxing piece. Classical pieces hooked me even more. It will be a long night of listening to music.

Feed a good recording to Yggy / Rggy / HD800 and you will be rewarded. Dump it a poor crappy youtube 70's pop song and it will play it back with the same gusto. You would even marvel at the in-fidelity of the corrupted tone with tongue a wagging like a dachshund.

Alright, let me listen more so I get more inspiration to write.

20170729_133536.jpg

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #449 of 1,113
Having heard the Yggy/Ragg/HD800 twice now and not being impressed, I wanna give it another listen. This time in a quiet environment.

Funny that's how I felt at the April 2017 Sydney meet when I heard someone's Yggy / Rggy / HD800. I proclaimed that I prefer Euforia's warm and lushness. I think my 'mind' wasn't open then. I've been too tube amp focused for 2 years. :ksc75smile:

Now I am really glad I can hear how my HD800, T1 and HD650 is meant to sound.

@canthearyou listen to it in balanced mode. It's the strength of Ragnarok. HD800 in balanced mode on that combo is a different animal.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #450 of 1,113
The hd800 doesn't sound strident at all? Does it give it gut rumbling bass?

Strident isn't in the combo's dictionary. Authoritative and commanding is what I hear of the HD800 with Yggy and Rggy. It's quality and impactful bass mate. Gut rumbling bass can mean many things to many people lol. It could literally means bass that gives you a rumbling gut. I like to think of the Japanese drums wadaiko, when hit right, will have you hypnotised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back