New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 8, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #9,211 of 9,484
I did some more listening. I don't think the TH900 scales as well as the HE-6, so its hard to judge when comparing against the HE-6 which is very demanding. Also, I was using a Black Dragon V2 cable on the HE-6, but I switched back in the original cable as I found the Black to gut the bass and roll off the highs. I finally got to hear the HE-6 unfurl with the Ragnarok, and its much better now.

With the Ragnarok in place my system is fully balanced, so comparing amps using SE headphones is honestly apples to oranges. Downloaded a Chesky album in DSD-128 to flex the Ragnarok's resolving muscle -- and found that medium gain wasn't loud enough. Seriously, does this amp really output 10W into 50 ohms? With that being said, it does seem to do a good job at detail rendering.

May 8, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #9,212 of 9,484
I did some more listening. I don't think the TH900 scales as well as the HE-6, so its hard to judge when comparing against the HE-6 which is very demanding. Also, I was using a Black Dragon V2 cable on the HE-6, but I switched back in the original cable as I found the Black to gut the bass and roll off the highs. I finally got to hear the HE-6 unfurl with the Ragnarok, and its much better now.

With the Ragnarok in place my system is fully balanced, so comparing amps using SE headphones is honestly apples to oranges. Downloaded a Chesky album in DSD-128 to flex the Ragnarok's resolving muscle -- and found that medium gain wasn't loud enough. Seriously, does this amp really output 10W into 50 ohms? With that being said, it does seem to do a good job at detail rendering.

What are you using to play your music, and what type of DAC are you using?

May 8, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #9,213 of 9,484
JRiver -> USB -> Gustard U12 -> I2S (HDMI) -> Gustard X20 -> Balanced XLR -> Ragnarok -> HE-6

This is setup is fully balanced front to end as both the X20 and Ragnarok are true balanced designs. SE summing is not used at any point during the playback chain.

May 8, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #9,214 of 9,484
Listening to my HD 600s today for the first time since I got this Schiit stack. I have had these HD600s for a long time and they have never sounded this good. ---more and smoother detail, SOUNDSTAGE!!-- decent bass I ain't never heard on them. They are about 85% of my Ether Cs.

May 9, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #9,215 of 9,484
  JRiver -> USB -> Gustard U12 -> I2S (HDMI) -> Gustard X20 -> Balanced XLR -> Ragnarok -> HE-6

This is setup is fully balanced front to end as both the X20 and Ragnarok are true balanced designs. SE summing is not used at any point during the playback chain.

Is the Gustard connected to anything else via the SE output?

May 9, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #9,216 of 9,484
I've got an interesting problem and looking for help. Been in touch with Schiit tech without a solution yet, hoping someone has a thought. I had my Yggy working with a Lyr2 using my iMac and Roon software. It's a single ended connection. My Ragnarok arrives and I hooked the SE up and now Roon does not see the DAC. Switched to balanced from Yggy to Rag and no good. Changed the USB cable from the one I bought from Schiit to my older cable. No change. I then hooked the USB cable to my MacBook and voilá, now Roon sees the DAC as a device connected on my network, but any direct connection to the iMac fails to show the DAC. Nick suggested also changing the power cable to the iMac which I did to no avail.

Wondering if anyone has seen this issue before and has a potential solution.

Thanks

May 9, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #9,217 of 9,484
  I've got an interesting problem and looking for help. Been in touch with Schiit tech without a solution yet, hoping someone has a thought. I had my Yggy working with a Lyr2 using my iMac and Roon software. It's a single ended connection. My Ragnarok arrives and I hooked the SE up and now Roon does not see the DAC. Switched to balanced from Yggy to Rag and no good. Changed the USB cable from the one I bought from Schiit to my older cable. No change. I then hooked the USB cable to my MacBook and voilá, now Roon sees the DAC as a device connected on my network, but any direct connection to the iMac fails to show the DAC. Nick suggested also changing the power cable to the iMac which I did to no avail.

Wondering if anyone has seen this issue before and has a potential solution.

Thanks

It can't have anything to do with the amps, so that can be eliminated. Does the Yggy show up in Audio Midi Set-up when you plug it into the Mac? It should appear in the list of devices in the left of the window a couple of seconds after being plugged in.  If that doesn't work, does it work if you use a USB hub?

May 9, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #9,218 of 9,484

The Yggy does not show up on the iMac under either condition. It does show on the MacBook both ways in Audio Midi set-up, plugged in direct and thru usb hub. Kinda weird I think since it worked with the Lyr2.

May 9, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #9,219 of 9,484
Just checked single ended connection again to Lyr2 and it shows up just fine in Audio Midi set up. I just switched back to balanced between Yggy and Ragnarok and now it is showing in Midi setup and working fine. I've had done this many times over the weekend to no avail. I was listening using the MacBook connected to the Yggy and now it works thru the iMac. I'm stumped but no longer asking questions. Computers are weird, just saying.

I knew administrators were tuned in, but reaching through the internet for repair is beyond the pale. Thanks Currawong

May 9, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #9,220 of 9,484
This situation sounds like usb issues, where repeated insertions 'clean up' the contacts and it works again.

Try cleaning the connections at the end of the usb cable(s) and see if 'crud' is removed.

JJ

May 11, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #9,222 of 9,484
I love Frank Zappa, yet my college roomate hated any form of Zappa lol,

Well then of course your roommate was wrong.

May 11, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #9,223 of 9,484
Okay so, I went and downloaded my first Channel Classics album, their new Vivaldi release. Channel Classics records directly to DSD and mixes their tracks in a custom analog board; it's one of the very few companies that offer native DSD recordings. Their DSD is ultra expensive at $27 for this album, but with my fully balanced, native DSD DAC and the new Ragnarok, I wanted to check this out.

I can say that, with the Ragnarok in front of the Gustard X20 (using the Gustard U10 USB bridge) driving the HE-6, I had a momentary out-of-head experience. Or rather, in-head experience -- it was the first time ever, in any of my system configurations, that I had an illusion of a real human voice being heard in my head. The ever-present digital grain / harshness / color was lifted, and it was the audio version of looking through a pristine, reflection-less window pane. Just a half-step away from the venue being shrunk and placed into my head. WOW. How am I supposed to go back to PCM, let alone CD-quality, after this? Damn. This was the first real test of the Ragnarok's ability to deliver on its famous clarity, and it did just that.

I've found that using the HE-6, the Ragnarok has to be set on HIGH gain in order to get good volume on all my tracks, particularly the audiophile albums.

May 12, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #9,225 of 9,484
Just bought a Ragnarok. So I am jumping on the bandwagon. What do you all use as power conditioners. And I needed help finding the battery size for the remote. Any help. Someone told me it was dual d size but someone else staid double AAs. Am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back