New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 26, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #7,816 of 9,484
On head-fi IME lack of response or off-question responses indicate no-one of those who have seen the post(s) has an answer. Frustrating, but true.

Have you tried discussing with Schiit Audio support? I'm sure Mike Moffat's attention would be stirred by what you're hearing.

I don't (yet) own a Yggy. With this in mind, my one thought - but I rejected it - was your unit hadn't reached the magic number of hours (of real music play, apparently) yet. Some owners (e.g. recent posts by HemiSam and jfoxvol) noted stridency for the first few days. But surely you are well beyond 200 hours of music play, unit left on throughout?

Another thought - it has been described as revealing and resolving - is some problem elsewhere in your chain. But yours seems a pretty good rig, not different from many of the others around here.

Good luck.

My Apologies, I intended to state that I replaced my Bifrost with the Yggdrasil..NOT the Ragnarok...I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding...I am, however, somewhat perplexed by those relatively few who choose to respond, (in this forum as well a many others), with something that is intentionally an attempt to somehow point fault, or otherwise be derisive in nature..

Being an adult involved in a hobby for pleasure, (however expensive, technical, etc., or otherwise), I would think that others would share my enthusiasm for that hobby, and either agree or agree to disagree with a given perspective in a mature fashion, but above all else, would share a desire to only assist their fellow hobbyists, NOT,  as I have found in some cases behave as noted above, which appears to be more along the lines of junior high school/middle school harassment behavior. 

However, this is only my humble opinion...YMMV...

May 27, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #7,817 of 9,484
To those who recently placed an order/received your Yggy; 

is Schiit shipping the Yggy in waves, and the next wave of shipment is in end of June 2015 
or they're manufacturing/shipping whenever there's an order (and there's just a backlog at the moment)

May 27, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #7,819 of 9,484
anyone had issues with the BNC just losing lock randomly? it fixes itself when I power cycle but still pretty confusing

May 27, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #7,825 of 9,484
I am so in love with the Yggdrasil and Ragnarock pairing, that I shall save up for battery/ power back up. I would be very sad to start warming up the yggy again. I feel like the Yggy keeps slowly getting better over time; that the level of micro detail and musicality keep increasing in subtle ways. Pink Floyd's "Dark side of the Moon" has never sounded better. The holographic soundstage and three-dimensional imagery allows this a of album to become alive. The tight textured bass, the lush, but detailed mids and exquisite treble all make the sound signature so musical, that it can be hard to stop listening.

May 27, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #7,826 of 9,484
  anyone had issues with the BNC just losing lock randomly? it fixes itself when I power cycle but still pretty confusing

Hey bud.  I'm feeding mine the digital signal via coax as it's my best option for my current setup (I'm streaming FLAC files from Deezer Elite via a Sonos Connect and have enjoyed stepping away from having my Mac hard wired).  I did lose the signal one time in several days of non-stop power-up, and I think it happened as a result of my playlist having ended.  I didn't realize it at the time as I wasn't listening when it occurred.  Toggled the input on the yggy and wasn't getting anywhere.  As soon as I started sending a file signal to the yggy, it locked in straight away.  No need for power cycle.  

Sounds like you got something different going on, and I bet you're using the USB?

Good luck.  

HS

May 27, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #7,827 of 9,484
Bad news Mr. Moffat: http://www.techpowerup.com/212908/microsoft-selects-dolby-audio-for-windows-10.html

May 27, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #7,828 of 9,484
  Bad news Mr. Moffat: http://www.techpowerup.com/212908/microsoft-selects-dolby-audio-for-windows-10.html

Why is this bad news for Schiit ? (Or anybody else.)

May 27, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #7,829 of 9,484
Damn would love to be listening to a yiggy now maybe hooked up to a stax system but buying a camper van at the moment and that baby comes first . Has anyone watched a DIfferant kind of blue ,the doc on miles Davis playing at the island of white concert through the yiggy , cause it must sound f. Ing great especially since mr Moffat designed this dac with live performances in mind . I watched it last night through my sennhasir 598 from my laptop and if you flip the sennhauzers round and almost were them like a crown and pull the flaps out a bit you hit the sweet spot and with a bottle of Rioja , puff , man miles Davis f. There just ain't nothing that comes close

May 27, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #7,830 of 9,484
"Why is this bad news for Schiit ? (Or anybody else.)"

It's bad news for the following reasons:

1) Because it's going to be the native audio codec for Windows 10.
2) Because it's lossy
3) Because it's licensed. That means that Schiit and other probably have to pay Dolby licensing fees to be able to play audio through their DACs
4) Because Dolby Audio sound sucks big time

All this and Windows still doesn't have native USB 2.0 Audio support. Microsoft, what the f**ck's wrong with you? W*nkers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back