New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 27, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #7,831 of 9,484
Microsoft Edge will be the first browser to leverage the Dolby Digital Plus decoder on the Windows 10 operating system

If the browser on Windows 10 would decode Dolby or any other proprietary format, wouldn't it mean that the DAC connected to that PC would get a plain PCM stream? Otherwise, the correct word would be "pass-through", which would be a problem for most current DACs.

May 27, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #7,833 of 9,484
Apple FTW....

biggrin.gif

HS

May 27, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #7,836 of 9,484
  "Why is this bad news for Schiit ? (Or anybody else.)"

It's bad news for the following reasons:

1) Because it's going to be the native audio codec for Windows 10.
2) Because it's lossy
3) Because it's licensed. That means that Schiit and other probably have to pay Dolby licensing fees to be able to play audio through their DACs
4) Because Dolby Audio sound sucks big time

All this and Windows still doesn't have native USB 2.0 Audio support. Microsoft, what the f**ck's wrong with you? W*nkers!

Bingo! Mike has repeatedly spoken out about the lack of USB 2 audio support in windows as well as that Schiit will never join the license clubs.

May 27, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #7,837 of 9,484
Just put in my order for a Yggy. Now I have to wait until late-June! 
beyersmile.png

Given my love for my Master 7, I'm genuinely viewing this purchase as an audition to see which I'll keep -- the Yggy or the M7.

For those in the same situation, I'll definitely be sure to give my thoughts on an A/B comp between the two, following purrin's lead. 

May 27, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #7,838 of 9,484
Microsoft has supported proprietary (licensed; read more expensive) technology because they perceive it as a sales feature.  It is good for gamers and movie watchers.  It does not address their fundamentally unaddressed USB2 audio which is broken.  It is really more speaks to their lack of concern for two channel users which is less buzzword compliant.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 27, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #7,840 of 9,484
Other than the implication of vendor(Microsoft) support for Dolby vs other Surround standards it really doesn't mean anything for stereo focused users

Just because Windows 10 will have built-in Dobly does not mean the mixer will want to do everything in Dolby.

In addition just because the Windows mixer does have Dolby support won't affect us because many of us use ASIO or WASAPI which bypasses the windows mixer anyhow.

As @Baldr said the lack of USB2 Audio is what really kills it for Windows from our prospective.

May 27, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #7,842 of 9,484
How does Windows supporting Dolby impact the existing supported options for two channel in Windows 10?

At the very least, it shows that their focus and attention is elsewhere

I don't see it. All we have is the announcement of another supported codec to the dozens of codecs already supported by Windows. It's not as if Microsoft removed existing functionality and as already mentioned, most knowledgable users are leveraging WASAPI and/or ASIO for two channel.

Much drama over nothing.

May 27, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #7,843 of 9,484
  Bad news Mr. Moffat: http://www.techpowerup.com/212908/microsoft-selects-dolby-audio-for-windows-10.html

Actually bad for Microsoft:
- This will make Microsoft Windows will die sooner,    People just use Android and Linux instead.   too much junk in Windows already

May 27, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #7,844 of 9,484
The HE1K sounds bloody fantastic through my Yggdrasil and Ragnarock stack. I have yet burn in the HE1K properly, but I am impressed with the synergy so far. Will write a full impression after I have burned them in over 100 hours..

May 27, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #7,845 of 9,484

Back to more important matters!

Quote:
The HE1K sounds bloody fantastic through my Yggdrasil and Ragnarock stack. I have yet burn in the HE1K properly, but I am impressed with the synergy so far. Will write a full impression after I have burned them in over 100 hours..

Can't wait to hear your impressions with that stack!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back