New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 24, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #7,786 of 9,484
  Viper2005:

That which I have heard from Schiit Audio as well as others is that USB cables in excess of 2 meters should be avoided if at all possible, and that 5 meters is probably the upper limit in terms of high fidelity use...and Yes, I would love to run use a 7 or 8 meter length of it, (which would solve a host of problems).  I would be happy to learn what is a "reasonable" maximum USB cable length used in conjunction with the Wyrd, though I have not found USB cables manufactured in excess of 5 meters...perhaps for the reasons stated above...thus my question regarding using the powered USB cable extension in conjunction with either the Cardas or the BJC USB cables I currently have used in my stereo system.  Ideas, suggestions?

By the way,  just a few minutes ago, on page 519, I responded to your previous response to one of my questions should you not have seen it... 

From my experience both with computers and audio, the max length I would be comfortable with for a single USB cable is 10-12 feet before you need an extender/repeater, then you can add another 10-12 feet.  The nice thing with the Ygg is that it will let you know if it thinks your signal is crappy, with the get-better-gear light on the far right  :wink:  If the light stays off, you are good!

May 24, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #7,787 of 9,484
      Even my Audeze pre-fazor LCD-2.2's sound audibly brighter after the system changes I made by introducing the Yggdrasil to the audio chain.  My monitors, Lipinski Sound L-707's, sounded warm and "round" prior to system changes, and my Ragnarok hands-off the signal to an outboard crossover, a Marchand analog design, and only then am I forced to use single-ended interconnects to connect to the Aragon.. Oh, and I am not sure attempting to drive my monitors with the Ragnarok would drive them as well anyway, and I would then not be able to keep the crossover in the chain...losing the support of my subwoofers... 

Well, some more food for thought - I imagine you're connecting the balanced pre-outs to your crossover for your subwoofers. If that's the case, all you have to do is move your speaker wire from the Aragon binding posts to the Ragnarok. Then you'll be running a balanced set up end to end with the benefit of your subs. Your L-707's were measured by Stereophile as having 90 dB sensitivity. That means using 1 W of power at a distance of 1 m away from the speaker, you'll be able to reach 90 dB SPL. That's pretty loud. When I took a Radio Shack SPL meter and played music on my stereo at levels that I thought were loud, I only barely made the needle move past 80 dB. (FYI, click here for a handy calculator to determine how much power an amplifier should in terms of listening distance, speaker sensitivity, and dynamic headroom.)

May 24, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #7,788 of 9,484
On a slight change of topic, does anyone happen to know if it is possible to force install the Yggy USB drivers on Windows 10? There seems to be an OS version check to prevent it from installing, which is a shame since I am able to install Windows 7 drivers for my USB playback bridge on Windows 10 perfectly fine. :frowning2:

May 24, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #7,789 of 9,484
For those that do not believe in cabling I would highly suggest getting a TT and changing the tonearm cable. At least for me that is where I heard the most dramatic difference in cabling, trying out different tonearm cables, to the point where I believe it is a very worthwhile mod to perform. Interconnects, power cables, usb cables, headphone and speaker cables not so much...to me it was much more subtle than tonearm cables.

I do own decent power cables (used TFA), usb cable (used transparent), interconnects and speaker (proaudiola/mogami) but all my headphone cables are stock and my power, usb, and interconnects all were quite a bit less than my frugal tonearm cable...not so frugal but in the tonearm cable world quite reasonable.

Sadly changing tonearm cables can be easy peasy to delicate surgery but I think it would end the debate on whether cables do anything to the sound if everyone tried this. For me it was night and day.

May 24, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #7,790 of 9,484
I'm not sure how many here are aware how balanced cables are used in the professional audio world. Microphone cables are routinely run 20 to 200 feet using balanced cables. "Snakes" that bundle 16 to 24 of these balanced cables in one large jacket are used in live sound all the time.

What makes this remarkable is the signal level of a microphone is miniscule compared to the output of a typical consumer level CD player, DAC, etc.

All of this hand wringing about length of cables here, especially balanced ones, under 20 feet is almost laughable. If you hear a difference between a 6 foot balanced cable and a 20 foot one, the cable is damaged, or it's all in your head.

The mind is the biggest variable in all of audio.

Brian.

May 24, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #7,791 of 9,484
[quote name="bgentry" url="/t/667711/new-

Brian.[/quote]
Yep!

May 24, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #7,792 of 9,484
I'm not sure how many here are aware how balanced cables are used in the professional audio world. Microphone cables are routinely run 20 to 200 feet using balanced cables. "Snakes" that bundle 16 to 24 of these balanced cables in one large jacket are used in live sound all the time.

What makes this remarkable is the signal level of a microphone is miniscule compared to the output of a typical consumer level CD player, DAC, etc.

All of this hand wringing about length of cables here, especially balanced ones, under 20 feet is almost laughable. If you hear a difference between a 6 foot balanced cable and a 20 foot one, the cable is damaged, or it's all in your head.

Brian.

Don't forget the runs into patch bays where you have 200+ pairs breaking out into bantam sockets with short bantam terminated patch cables to connect everything together.

May 25, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #7,796 of 9,484
And none of the discussion has had anything to do with Raggy or Yggy.  Maybe that means there's nothing new or interesting about them.  I'd like to see some good reviews of Yggy and ..... or Yggy compared to......

May 25, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #7,797 of 9,484
  And none of the discussion has had anything to do with Raggy or Yggy.  Maybe that means there's nothing new or interesting about them.  I'd like to see some good reviews of Yggy and ..... or Yggy compared to......

me too. dac comparisons are quite hard to do, but I would love to see someone take the take the time to do a direct comparison against some other top-tier and mid-tier options to give a sense of relative scaling.

May 25, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #7,798 of 9,484
    To Whomever this Cabling Topic is a Cause for Consternation:

The primary reason the cable issue was raised was due to my inquiry regarding balanced cabling that might work well with my Ragnarok and Yggdrasil components.  I was using the Ragnarok as a pre-amp. and headphone amp, using a first generation Bifrost, all cabling being a smattering of single-ended "Better Cables" Silver Serpents and "Straight Wire" interconnects.  My stereo system, as well as my headphones, (driven via the balanced output on Ragnarok), sounded warm and rich, with reasonable detail, sound-stage, and imaging, etc.. 

Since replacing the Bifrost with the Ragnarok in my audio chain, as well as replacing my single-ended interconnects with "Blue Jeans Cable" Canare Quad wire, the sonic signature of not only my stereo monitors but also my headphones, (Audeze LCD2.2's/pre-fazor), has brightened to the extent that massed voices, high female voices, and higher frequency strings are edgy, strident and fatiguing...as if a digital glare was being generated...it is almost as if the Yggdrasil is generating a "U" shaped frequency curve, and I KNOW that is NOT what Mr. Moffit would have done...so I am querying those readers of THIS forum because,

1) My concern is with the Yggdrasil now in my system, and/or...
2) The interaction of the Yggdrasil with the Ragnarok, or...
3) The aforementioned components interacting with each other AND the BALANCED interconnects...
4)  I would like to learn if others have experienced anything similar, and if so, how they ameliorated the edgy qualities it conferred to their system...
5)  I posted the same inquiry on the cable and accessories forum and received NO responses...

Now, please understand, I am most certainly NOT attempting to "bash" Schiit Audio in the least, I am a proud purchaser/owner of a Bifrost, Lyr, Asgard 2, two sets of Modi/Magni's, as well as a Fulla, not to mention various and sundry interconnects, and have been very pleased with ALL of them...and the bass, detail retrieval, imaging and sound-stage rendering of the Yggdrasil, especially in combination with the Ragnarok, is AMAZING!...  However, I WOULD like to tame that high frequency over-emphasis, (at least in my system)... 

May 26, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #7,799 of 9,484
      To Whomever this Cabling Topic is a Cause for Consternation:

The primary reason the cable issue was raised was due to my inquiry regarding balanced cabling that might work well with my Ragnarok and Yggdrasil components.  I was using the Ragnarok as a pre-amp. and headphone amp, using a first generation Bifrost, all cabling being a smattering of single-ended "Better Cables" Silver Serpents and "Straight Wire" interconnects.  My stereo system, as well as my headphones, (driven via the balanced output on Ragnarok), sounded warm and rich, with reasonable detail, sound-stage, and imaging, etc.. 

Since replacing the Bifrost with the Ragnarok in my audio chain, as well as replacing my single-ended interconnects with "Blue Jeans Cable" Canare Quad wire, the sonic signature of not only my stereo monitors but also my headphones, (Audeze LCD2.2's/pre-fazor), has brightened to the extent that massed voices, high female voices, and higher frequency strings are edgy, strident and fatiguing...as if a digital glare was being generated...it is almost as if the Yggdrasil is generating a "U" shaped frequency curve, and I KNOW that is NOT what Mr. Moffit would have done...so I am querying those readers of THIS forum because,

1) My concern is with the Yggdrasil now in my system, and/or...
2) The interaction of the Yggdrasil with the Ragnarok, or...
3) The aforementioned components interacting with each other AND the BALANCED interconnects...
4)  I would like to learn if others have experienced anything similar, and if so, how they ameliorated the edgy qualities it conferred to their system...
5)  I posted the same inquiry on the cable and accessories forum and received NO responses...

Now, please understand, I am most certainly NOT attempting to "bash" Schiit Audio in the least, I am a proud purchaser/owner of a Bifrost, Lyr, Asgard 2, two sets of Modi/Magni's, as well as a Fulla, not to mention various and sundry interconnects, and have been very pleased with ALL of them...and the bass, detail retrieval, imaging and sound-stage rendering of the Yggdrasil, especially in combination with the Ragnarok, is AMAZING!...  However, I WOULD like to tame that high frequency over-emphasis, (at least in my system)... 

Try this
http://www.bswusa.com/Equalizers-Rane-DEQ60L-P4499.aspx

May 26, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #7,800 of 9,484
  me too. dac comparisons are quite hard to do, but I would love to see someone take the take the time to do a direct comparison against some other top-tier and mid-tier options to give a sense of relative scaling.

Tough call on dac comparison due to the nature of subjective comparisons. This is where I'll gladly entertain myself as I read "professional reviews" describing the flavour of the month "dac".

A friend of mine just purchased a Nad M51 and feels its a dry dac and lifeless which he really doesn't care for. However he finds a Music Fidelity dac much more musical and warmer. ...comes down to system synergy.

This is where system synergy is much more important than having  a so called single component "giant killer DAC" when 2 systems will be very unlikely to be identical amongst headfi members let alone same hearing capabilities. 

I'm reading this thread so that I can hopefully hear someone's subjective opinions with romantic adjectives of their "yggy" dac with same Headphones i own. This is gives me a feel of what this Dac can potentially give me if I purchase this dac. Auditioning the Yggy is nowhere to be seen in my local area. 

Subjective human ears owned by a partially hearing impaired  60 yrs old veteran musician will have polar opposite reviews on the yggy vs a 20yrs old university student never subjected to loud environments over an extended periods of time. 

I think any audio discussion on this thread is beneficial.  Comparing different characteristic sounds on different solid state dacs can also be very subjective with the music genre. I still feel that it's extremely difficult for 1 dac to provide ideal sound for every type of music genre. This is the reason why many folks own different headphones for certain music genres. This also applies to dac's in my system.  For my realm if I want to build a wider sound stage and more "air" I'll roll my tubes with a mercury vapour vacuum tube to my tube dac or my dynamics with a  beefy 572B tube. If I want accentuated bass slam and high's I'll use my solid state dac for hyper details. Now you know why I want a yggy.... play with some solid state dacs for fun......  on the other hand you can use any dac if your into Nicki Minaj and Ariana Grande. Throw some complicated orchestra or strings this is where  you'll hear layers and depth. 

Speaking of "professional" reviews.... I always read reviews with caution.  Nothing comes for free so there is always some favors or compensation involved in the audio world. Real end users reviews seem to be more transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back