New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 27, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #6,092 of 9,484
I would think usb gen 3 if anything

Don't expect a Gen 3 USB upgrade for Gungnir or Bifrost anytime soon.

wink_face.gif

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #6,094 of 9,484

Answered by question 2 last sentences:
So, we run 20 115v Yggdrasils and then 5 230v Yggdrasils in separate batches.
or this one:
30779 - 3083x is actually 25 115v Yggdrasils, while 30850 - 3089x on the 230v side is only 5 units.

So 20 or 25?? so some where in the neighborhood of 600-750 Watts at idle for Yggy... I r ME not EE so some EE correct me if I r wrong.

I have eight burn-in racks, each with its own 120v, 15A dedicated circuit.  Each unit can hold 15 Yggys, we've never had more than twelve on a rack.  We use a sophisticated electrical testing method called, "the circuit didn't trip so I guess we are good."  If you are married, this also known as the "this tastes wierd, taste it and tell me what you think" test.  Theoretically, I could burn-in 120 Yggys at a time.   

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #6,095 of 9,484

I have eight burn-in racks, each with its own 120v, 15A dedicated circuit.  Each unit can hold 15 Yggys, we've never had more than twelve on a rack.  We use a sophisticated electrical testing method called, "the circuit didn't trip so I guess we are good."  If you are married, this also known as the "this tastes wierd, taste it and tell me what you think" test.  Theoretically, I could burn-in 120 Yggys at a time.   

Wholly cow that's a lot of Yggy's...
biggrin.gif

I grew up with a mother that was "learning" to cook so I got the; "hey, come try this, don't worry about what's in it..." thing quite a bit.
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #6,096 of 9,484

.... I expect to ship through 3083x tomorrow.  The next 115v shipment won't go out until Thursday at the earliest.

Thanks for the great and informative update!  It is really cool to get a brief glimpse behind the scenes into the complexity of getting all these units assembled, tested and out the door.  Will keep my fingers crossed that the x above is > or = 5.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #6,098 of 9,484
What does it weigh? Specs on webpage say 25 lbs, specs in manual say 21 lbs.

My Yggy has shipped...FedEx says the box is 19 lbs.  Grifters.  I'll have to weigh it myself now.  

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #6,101 of 9,484
Haha.  I couldn't find a hi-res enough photo to show how Yggy displayed sample rates on its front panel, so I decided to read the owners manual on the website for the answer.  I laughed out loud at least 5 times in addition to getting my question answered. 

Don't ever change Schiit.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #6,102 of 9,484
I went to the axpona show over the weekend and mr. speakers in the ear expo room had a schiit yggdrasil hooked up with three amps the ragnarok , the woo audio wa 5 and the base cavalli unit. I thought the dac sounded pretty good but of the three amps I least liked the ragnarok. I preferred the cavalli for its clear natural presentation. I thought the ragnarok sounded more trumped up . The wa5 this was the first time I have heard the wa5 sounded musical , warm, and liquid but lacked the clarity of the cavalli unit.
   Mr. speakers were debuting there new ether planar headphone I liked what I heard it sounded promising.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #6,103 of 9,484
After the inital burn-in, do you have to leavethe YGGY on 24/7 to keep it sounding it's best or can you turn it off and just let it warm up for a few hours before your listing session?
The reason for asking is considering it chews about 35wh it will cost me $150~$200 a year to leave it on 24/7 here in australia.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #6,104 of 9,484
does it use that much power in standby?

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #6,105 of 9,484
  After the inital burn-in, do you have to leavethe YGGY on 24/7 to keep it sounding it's best or can you turn it off and just let it warm up for a few hours before your listing session?
The reason for asking is considering it chews about 35wh it will cost me $150~$200 a year to leave it on 24/7 here in australia.

From the manual:

We recommend leaving Yggdrasil on continuously for best performance. Seriously. No kidding. Yes, we know, this sounds like hoo-ha about “burn-in” and magick discs/stones/markers/etc. But in Yggy’s case, this is a real thing, and a serious recommendation. Why? Because the mil-spec D/A converters in Yggy really do operate best once they’re up to temperature. As with a lot of other components inside the box. So, the logical solution (at a power cost of $50-100 per year, depending on where you live) is simply to turn it on, and leave it on. This is facilitated by inconveniently placing the power switch in the rear. So what will you hear as Yggy warms up? Hell, we’re not going to speculate on what you hear...but we’re sure you’ll hear impressions from plenty of reviewers, and you can listen for yourself, and make your own decisions. Sooooo...turn it on, leave it on, and see if you can’t hear a difference after it’s been on for a few days. And yes, this applies to first turn-on, too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back