New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Apr 27, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #6,106 of 9,484
Arg my Yggdrasil has arrived but it does not want to connect to my oppo BDP 103 player. I have used both my optical cable and my coaxial cable and nothing. I have made sore the oppo is set for two channel pcm. I have used balanced and single-ended interconnects. I am sure I must have something hooked up wrong. Whenever I hook up a coaxial cable to the oppo and the yggy I hear a clicking sound. I will post a pictures of the hook up.

P.s I have contacted Nick at Schiit Audio and he is advising me too.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #6,107 of 9,484
Arg my Yggdrasil has arrived but it does not want to connect to my oppo BDP 103 player. I have used both my optical cable and my coaxial cable and nothing. I have made sore the oppo is set for two channel pcm. I have used balanced and single-ended interconnects. I am sure I must have something hooked up wrong. Whenever I hook up a coaxial cable to the oppo and the yggy I hear a clicking sound. I will post a pictures of the hook up.

P.s I have contacted Nick at Schiit Audio and he is advising me too.

Is there a setting in the Oppo that disables digital out? Most higher end players allow you to disable the digital signals to make the analog output cleaner.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #6,108 of 9,484
Can you connect via usb or another input just to make sure the dac itself is working properly ?

Also, an obvious one, are you making sure the corresponding indication light on the front is highlighting the input you intend on using ?

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #6,109 of 9,484
I have made sore the oppo is set for two channel pcm.

You want 'bitstream', not pcm.  Pcm makes the oppo act as a dac.  

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #6,110 of 9,484
  You want 'bitstream', not pcm.  Pcm makes the oppo act as a dac.  

Not sure this is correct. PCM is the format the Yggy receives and decodes. Bitstream is Dolby, DTS, and stuff. The Yggy will auto-mute that immediately. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #6,112 of 9,484
Can you connect via usb or another input just to make sure the dac itself is working properly ?

Also, an obvious one, are you making sure the corresponding indication light on the front is highlighting the input you intend on using ?
I have no computer it totally went belly up this weekend. I have hooked my rag to the oppo and it works. I will go crash and see what advice nick has for me. The yggy is very cold and its been on for over 5 hours.
Goodnight all.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #6,113 of 9,484
Bitstream will output Dolby and DTS streams that Yggy can't decode.  It has to output PCM.

edit:  few seconds too slow I see.  :)

I have the oppo set to lpcm, I have yet to use bitstream or dsd

Apr 28, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #6,115 of 9,484
This probably isn't what you are looking for, but who cares.
My Yggy is going to see the Webster Sox Amateur Baseball team in Webster, MN. Topped off at Ettlins Ranchero Supper Club for "A Swiss Panache in a Small Town Experience."
Here is a picture of the Delicious pork schnitzel with red cabbage and spazzel the Yggy had.

biggrin.gif

Dude, thank you for painting a picture of the the various places in the US and their specialty food places. You can't believe how hilarious this is really 
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #6,116 of 9,484
does it use that much power in standby?

I would consider standby as turning it off.. 

From the manual:

We recommend leaving Yggdrasil on continuously for best performance. Seriously. No kidding. Yes, we know, this sounds like hoo-ha about “burn-in” and magick discs/stones/markers/etc. But in Yggy’s case, this is a real thing, and a serious recommendation. Why? Because the mil-spec D/A converters in Yggy really do operate best once they’re up to temperature. As with a lot of other components inside the box. So, the logical solution (at a power cost of $50-100 per year, depending on where you live) is simply to turn it on, and leave it on. This is facilitated by inconveniently placing the power switch in the rear. So what will you hear as Yggy warms up? Hell, we’re not going to speculate on what you hear...but we’re sure you’ll hear impressions from plenty of reviewers, and you can listen for yourself, and make your own decisions. Sooooo...turn it on, leave it on, and see if you can’t hear a difference after it’s been on for a few days. And yes, this applies to first turn-on, too

I was hopeful they might of resolved the issue with warmup time in days in the final production version as opposited to eariler test units...

oh well...i will have to hear for myself once I get mine in 2 weeks time..

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #6,117 of 9,484
Damn it,
Everytime I try to tell myself that this thing is out of my reach I read your impressions and something inside me says "well, you could not eat 3 days a week and still survive you know".
I think I will eventually get this DAC (So far I use the one in my Z-5500 control unit).
Can anyone tell me if the HE-560/Focal Chorus 716 Would do this DAC justice? (Im currently on HE-400/Chorus 716+Denon PMA 710AE).

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #6,118 of 9,484
This probably isn't what you are looking for, but who cares.
My Yggy is going to see the Webster Sox Amateur Baseball team in Webster, MN. Topped off at Ettlins Ranchero Supper Club for "A Swiss Panache in a Small Town Experience."
Here is a picture of the Delicious pork schnitzel with red cabbage and spazzel the Yggy had.

:D

That looks sooooo .. german.
Didnt know MN was so germanic. Späzle, schnitzel and sauerkraut are all south german and/or austrian specialities. That's exactly the kind of plate you'll eat at the Munich highend show.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #6,119 of 9,484
  After the inital burn-in, do you have to leavethe YGGY on 24/7 to keep it sounding it's best or can you turn it off and just let it warm up for a few hours before your listing session?
The reason for asking is considering it chews about 35wh it will cost me $150~$200 a year to leave it on 24/7 here in australia.

I heard the Yggy actually uses 75W of power. I guess since electricity is really expensive in Australia you're correct...
.075kW x 24h x 365d x $.29 = $190.53 / year (Aus)

For the rest of us, it should only be around this much:
.075kW x 24h x 365d x $.1 = $65.70 / year (Canada)
.075kW x 24h x 365d x $.12 = $78.84 / year (US)

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #6,120 of 9,484
  I heard the Yggy actually uses 75W of power. I guess since electricity is really expensive in Australia you're correct...
.075kW x 24h x 365d x $.29 = $190.53 / year (Aus)

For the rest of us, it should only be around this much:
.075kW x 24h x 365d x $.1 = $65.70 / year (Canada)
.075kW x 24h x 365d x $.12 = $78.84 / year (US)

Is that the US average? If so, then electricity in my area is apparently dirt cheap...

On a side note, my Yggy made the trip from Valencia to my local Fedex warehouse in 12 hours, and will be delivered later today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back