New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 10, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #4,966 of 9,484
I see…

JJ

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #4,968 of 9,484
Excellent description Mike.  Have you determined what if any input to output time delay is introduced by this filter?  Meaning does it consume a few microseconds to accomplish its work and is it longer than a typical DAC?

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #4,969 of 9,484
Originally Posted by Baldr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Am I a prophet who received the tablets from God or some other high-end audio drivel. Hell, no. I was the producer and director of this project and worked with Dave Kerstetter (hardware-software), John Lediaev (Math), Tom Lippiat (DSP Code), Warren Goldman (Coefficient Generator and development tools) for a total of 15 or so man years.

I would say 15 man years makes you close to a prophet!  We will gladly take the fruits of your labor and raise a toast to it!

If you think it sounds good, that is good enough for me!

Thanks for all your efforts and path less taken!

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #4,970 of 9,484
I've been critical of the hype train 'express' ever since purrin started banging on about Yggy, but there's no denying the phenomenal amount of effort Mike has put into this project - whether I ever get to hear the DAC or not, this is an extraordinary labor of love and he deserves recognition for that. 

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #4,972 of 9,484
   there's no denying the phenomenal amount of effort Mike has put into this project - whether I ever get to hear the DAC or not, this is an extraordinary labor of love and he deserves recognition for that. 

Nicely said and very true..

beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #4,975 of 9,484
  I haven't been keeping up with the news on the Yggy.

Do we have an expected release date yet, or a date they are trying to hit?

Jason or Mike threw 10 April around when they exceeded one of their deadlines by 10 days but that has since been revised. Expect something shortly after CANJAM at the end of this month - given that we're already 10th March here in Thailand I'm cautiously optimistic that the last 7 phases on Mike's project plan will take considerably less time than the first two  :D

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #4,976 of 9,484
  1Q2015....in other words, end of March *ideally*, but likely may push into April.

Jason or Mike threw 10 April around when they exceeded one of their deadlines by 10 days but that has since been revised. Expect something shortly after CANJAM at the end of this month - given that we're already at May 10 here in Thailand I'm cautiously optimistic that the last 7 phases on Mike's project plan will take considerably less time than the first two  :D

Excellent.  Thank you for the quick feedback.

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #4,977 of 9,484
  Every input on the Yggy reportedly stomps the Master 7, to the point that the Off-Ramp 5 converter that is necessary to elevate the Master 7 to workable levels results in a "barely improves" to "can't tell a difference" response on the Yggy. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a dac just because of the inputs available. 

Maybe Yggy will stomp the Master 7 with the OR5 HDMI on all account, that’s another topic.  But the fact that the Yggy doesn’t sounds better with Off-Ramp 5 then using SPDIF or AES/EBU inputs doesn’t say anything about how it would sound with a HDMI 12S.

To be honest the Off-Ramp 5 doesn’t give more than a small SQ boost then using SPDIF or AES/EBU on the Master 7, but a lot then using the I2S.

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #4,978 of 9,484

The DAC is already great before people even hear it.  It's like a few people "TOLD" you'll what to hear, and you heard it already without hearing it.  Shaking my head..  Funny

I have this picture of the kool-aid pitcher breaking through the brick wall filter.

Not sure I haven't succumbed meself.  Read "persuasive argument".

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #4,979 of 9,484
I would tend to want to wait until the Yggdrasil is actually released and in the wild for a bit before making too many statements about how it does or doesn't perform.

I've heard the prototype and all I will say is that I liked what I heard for now.

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #4,980 of 9,484

Maybe Yggy will stomp the Master 7 with the OR5 HDMI on all account, that’s another topic.  But the fact that the Yggy doesn’t sounds better with Off-Ramp 5 then using SPDIF or AES/EBU inputs doesn’t say anything about how it would sound with a HDMI 12S.

To be honest the Off-Ramp 5 doesn’t give more than a small SQ boost then using SPDIF or AES/EBU on the Master 7, but a lot then using the I2S.

I never had a chance to hear it myself, but I believe that ALRAINBOW used the fully maxed out OR5 via hdmi i2s with a ps audio directstream dac and reported minor differences, to a decrease in sound quality. Not saying that the directstream dac = Yggy, but that there are examples of dacs that do not improve dramatically even via i2s. It honestly seems the M7 was something of a phenom when it came to it's compatibility with hdmi i2s and improved because of it far more than the average dac. It has been said in another thread that a maxed out Off-Ramp 4 might have sounded a little better with the Yggy over stock inputs, but that the stock performance was exceptional regardless. 

At this point, I'm personally against spending thousands on a tiny converter for 1 input, but that might just be me.
I would tend to want to wait until the Yggdrasil is actually released and in the wild for a bit before making too many statements about how it does or doesn't perform.

I've heard the prototype and all I will say is that I liked what I heard for now.

This is very true. If the Yggy doesn't meet or exceed my expectations, I'm done with dac hunts for good. I'm hoping it's the real thing but i've burned myself in the past before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back