New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Nov 10, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #3,691 of 9,484
Just ordered Rag yesterday. The temptation was too much to bare based on what I've read. What I really want to do is compare Rag with my M9 head to head using my LCD-X, and then rent some phones @ thecableco.com including HD 800, HE-6, TH-900, Alpha Prime, etc, and compare all combinations. Winning amp/phone combo stays, "losers" get distributed on the sell/trade forums or eBay, get happy new owners with a discount, and I earn (most of) my money back.

I'll likely do the same with my PWD mk2  vs. Yggy once it's out. This game is just too much fun. :)

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #3,692 of 9,484
  So I am thinking of putting an order in for the Rag.

I am also in need of a DAC but it seems as though the Yggdrasil is still going to take a while to release.

Any suggestions for a DAC that would match up well with the Rag, doesn't break the bank too much (since Yggdrasil will be bought anyways), and has good resale value?

Sonic Frontiers SFD-DAC 1 mk2 (if you can find one for under $1k), according to Purrin's review, sounds like a solid bet.  Otherwise, yeah, Gungnir will have the best resale and should blend well.

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #3,693 of 9,484
  Just ordered Rag yesterday. The temptation was too much to bare based on what I've read. What I really want to do is compare Rag with my M9 head to head using my LCD-X, and then rent some phones @ thecableco.com including HD 800, HE-6, TH-900, Alpha Prime, etc, and compare all combinations. Winning amp/phone combo stays, "losers" get distributed on the sell/trade forums or eBay, get happy new owners with a discount, and I earn (most of) my money back.

I'll likely do the same with my PWD mk2  vs. Yggy once it's out. This game is just too much fun. :)

Rent??, do they really rent phones

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #3,694 of 9,484
Mr. the8o88y , 

Excellant plan and use of today's technology ; ebay can rescue 80% of your investment making the caparison rather affordable , it enables you to stair-climb your way to the very best for nominal outlay , probably saving you serious money by not having absorb ( or as we used to say : eat )  a bad or less than optimum investment .   It also makes you an experienced person .  
  One other consideration in the DAC department can be the Antelope Pure 2 which is about to be released , it features Antelope's Dac , Chrystal Oven Clocking and two powerful  headphone Amps each having it's own DAC .  The Antelope Company is todays leading DAC / Clock manufacturer supplying this range of technology for the Recording Industry as well as the Live Performing Industry .  
The Pure 2 will sell for under $2,500 .  
  I am about to complete the same test as you , this is the fun part of home audio ; discovery of new technologies as they emmerge from the Genius Designers .  

Tony in Michigan 

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #3,695 of 9,484
  So I am thinking of putting an order in for the Rag.

I am also in need of a DAC but it seems as though the Yggdrasil is still going to take a while to release.

Any suggestions for a DAC that would match up well with the Rag, doesn't break the bank too much (since Yggdrasil will be bought anyways), and has good resale value?

Depending upon your budget a used PSA PWD mkII can be found for ≈ $1500±.  Especially if you get a 'sweet' mkI that has been upgraded to a mkII.

Just a  thought

JJ

Nov 11, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #3,696 of 9,484
for 1500 you can get a used ayre qb9

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #3,697 of 9,484
Planning on using the Gungnir I already have with the Ragnarok when it finally arrives. Sounds beautiful with the Mjolnir so I imagine it will be just fine with the rag too.

I am planning on using a Gungnir, to compliment the Ragnarok, when it arrives. Eventually I will get the Yggdrasil, but not till I save up .

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #3,699 of 9,484

Rent??, do they really rent phones

Yes, for 5% of the purchase price, you can audition them at home for 2 weeks.  The charge is non-refundable, but can be used as a credit if you decide to buy the headphones.  They also do the same with cable.

https://www.thecableco.com/Product/NEW-Headphone-Lending-Library

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #3,700 of 9,484
  Mr. the8o88y , 

Excellant plan and use of today's technology ; ebay can rescue 80% of your investment making the caparison rather affordable , it enables you to stair-climb your way to the very best for nominal outlay , probably saving you serious money by not having absorb ( or as we used to say : eat )  a bad or less than optimum investment .   It also makes you an experienced person .  
  One other consideration in the DAC department can be the Antelope Pure 2 which is about to be released , it features Antelope's Dac , Chrystal Oven Clocking and two powerful  headphone Amps each having it's own DAC .  The Antelope Company is todays leading DAC / Clock manufacturer supplying this range of technology for the Recording Industry as well as the Live Performing Industry .  
  I am about to complete the same test as you , this is the fun part of home audio ; discovery of new technologies as they emmerge from the Genius Designers .  

Tony in Michigan 

It looks interesting, but I think it only has one headphone amp. you can find it for $2195 if you do a Google search for it.

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/blog/introducing-the-pure2-by-antelope-audio-a-two-channel-mastering-converter-from-the-authority-in-clocking/#more-2429

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #3,701 of 9,484
Hello Mr.7ryder , 

Yes , thank you for mentioning it , it probably has only one headphone amp , I might have been thinking about the SPL Phonitor 2 as I was writing .   
The Antelope also features a Plug-In Program that enables your desktop or laptop to control the thing , it is a PRO piece of equipment and looks it , not simple looking like the Schiit stuff . I wonder if appearance matters !

Tony in Michigan   

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #3,702 of 9,484
Mr. the8o88y , 

Tony in Michigan 

Thanks Tony, sounds like a great recommendation!

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #3,703 of 9,484
Nov 11, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #3,704 of 9,484
The 5% can be used toward anything on their site new/used.

*just clarifying*

Darnit.  That gives me too many ideas...

Like try 20 headphones, and keep the best one 
o2smile.gif

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #3,705 of 9,484
Darnit.  That gives me too many ideas...

Like try 20 headphones, and keep the best one  :o2smile:

Yea I hear you, i have money there that I'm using toward an amp... Or maybe more headphones lol

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back