New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #2,146 of 9,484
  ^^ Seriously, plus some of what his posts say....something disturbing is going on with that fellow.

I hope you aren't claiming YOU'VE never had relations with a goat ... c'mon ... we are all just people here. How could any of us resist those doe eyes and the soft tongue?  PS. I should at least mention that the Ragnorok is huge ... so we start competing with "speaker amps" here, and mine are single ended 300b monoblocks - knowing Schiit, it will all work out - the real estate will be justified even if you don't use speakers ... but what about that goat, huh ?

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #2,148 of 9,484

Cool. 
ph34r.gif

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #2,149 of 9,484
  I hope you aren't claiming YOU'VE never had relations with a goat ... c'mon ... we are all just people here. How could any of us resist those doe eyes and the soft tongue?  PS. I should at least mention that the Ragnorok is huge ... so we start competing with "speaker amps" here, and mine are single ended 300b monoblocks - knowing Schiit, it will all work out - the real estate will be justified even if you don't use speakers ... but what about that goat, huh ?

...can't say that I have, no.

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #2,150 of 9,484
  What will be the best way to use the HE-6 with the Ragg - headphone out or speaker taps?  Or does the amp deliver the same amout of power to both?

They're exactly the same.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 12, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2,153 of 9,484
  Very true. NOS is a fundamentally flawed approach. And my experience with it has confirmed it for me.

And I thought my Bifrost was a good DAC. :frowning2:

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #2,154 of 9,484
  Cool - do you mind answering my lengthy question? Is "R2R" the new nomenclature for "Multibit", or is this a new thing ... this is not me pretending to be dumb and setting someone up for a trap. I have genuinely not done any research on DACS for MANY years ... they now seem to be all "sigma-delta" ... but I have always had a multi-bit" (or I think they used to call it a "ladder" DAC). I have heard GREAT 1 bit SACD, but that old crappy Naim CD player from so long ago really HAD something ... I am hoping that "R2R" is just the new way of saying "This is OLD and GOLD a multi-bit bacchanalian orgy of dynamics". 

R2R and Multibit are effectively the same thing....

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2,156 of 9,484

Huh? your Bifrost is not a NOS Dac, but rather a pretty standard Delta-Sigma design...

I guess I'm confused. I thought NOS was non-oversampling. But the one used in Bifrost is still doing some sort of oversampling as part of digital filtering?

Still marketed as a bit-perfect DAC, though.

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2,157 of 9,484

I guess I'm confused. I thought NOS is non-oversampling. But the one used in Bifrost is still doing some sort of oversampling as part of digital filtering?

NOS operation is fundamentally impossible with Delta-Sigma Dacs. They rely on massive Oversampling ratios in order to achieve practical resolution, be it 18, 20 or even 24 bit. Without it, they would have essentially no resolution, specially so in the case of pure 1-bit Dacs, although these are no longer produced or employed, and for good reason!

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #2,158 of 9,484

This is what Mike has really been working towards on the DAC side--a truly bitperfect DAC, from input to output, without having to go non-oversampling (NOS.) 

When will you or Mike touch more on all this? Closed-form bitpefect digital filter, working in god's domain, the D/A conversion. . .

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #2,159 of 9,484
I think there's a confusion with the word "oversampling" here (and it's pretty widespread). Bifrost is non-oversampling in terms of the input signal (let's say, 44.1 -> 192),
but it still does the digital filter oversampling (like 8x), as part of delta-sigma design. So marketing any delta-sigma DAC "bit-perfect" is a bit misleading...

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #2,160 of 9,484

I guess I'm confused. I thought NOS was non-oversampling. But the one used in Bifrost is still doing some sort of oversampling as part of digital filtering?

Being Bit-perfect has nothing to do with whether the DAC is NOS (Multibit) or not, but rather, as Schiit themselves explain here, dependent on the Clocking Scheme employed:

Advanced Bitperfect Clock Management

Most DACs in this price range sacrifice every single one of your original music samples to get their 192kHz spec. Every input is routed through a sample rate converter and upsampled to 24/192. Bifrost dispenses with the sample rate converter and uses a sophisticated master clock management system to deliver bit-perfect data to the DAC, preserving all the original samples--whether it's 16/44.1 or 24/192

Do not confuse Oversampling with Upsampling! The latter is optional, the former is NOT, at least in the case of Delta-Sigma Dacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back