New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 13, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #2,177 of 9,484

Rag is only "huge" by HP amp standards - it's about the size of what used to be a typical amp, cassette deck (google it, youngsters) or other audio box. From my perspective, all this HP stuff is almost cute. Surely you have the space - although if you add a Ygg that may tend to crowd things. Especially on a desktop.

For HE-6 fans, Jason has recommended using the balanced out (hope you already have a four-pin cable) because it gets the same full power as the speaker outs. The summer needed for the quarter-inch jack cuts that power waaay down, apparently. I've never been all that impressed by the HE-6, but am willing to concede I may not have heard it properly driven. Maybe when I get a Rag I'll try to borrow a pair so I can come to a more informed opinion.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2,179 of 9,484
A question - would Ragnarok get revisions? Say there will be the first people who order it then in a couple more months we'll see people bragging about how their schiit is better than our schiit...

It's what happened with my LCD-3, non-fazor vs fazor...

I mean how can I be certain that things are going to be stable, just like Lyr is now on v2 right now... and I have Lyr v1..

If at all, please don't make it revisions that people who buy later can have a better version, make it an upgrade-able board or something that you can install yourself... :-/

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #2,180 of 9,484
I mean how can I be certain that things are going to be stable, just like my Lyr is now on v2 right now...

The only thing you can be certain about in this industry is that there will always eventually be something that is "better" than anything you can purchase today.  It's what keeps companies alive.  So get the "best" you can today and worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2,181 of 9,484
A question - would Ragnarok get revisions? Say there will be the first people who order it then in a couple more months we'll see people bragging about how their schiit is better than our schiit...

I mean how can I be certain that things are going to be stable, just like Lyr is now on v2 right now... and I have Lyr v1..

If at all, please don't make it revisions that people who buy later can have a better version, make it an upgrade-able board or something that you can install yourself... :-/

The Lyr 1 was around for 3 years. It's fantastic that they improved it with what they've learned in those years.

Same with the LCD's, it's great that they've improved them with what they've learned over the years.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #2,182 of 9,484

Sorry, but this is the most asinine post I've read on Head-Fi...and that's saying something.

Lyr launched in Dec 2010. Three and a half years is a lifetime in electronics. Do you ask car manufacturers if they'll give you an upgrade when they come out with a new model next year?

They already DO offer upgrades on the DAC's, but to 'update' the amp would require an entire new board.

"I mean how can I be certain that things are going to be stable," Let me help you...they WILL NOT. Jason and Mike will continue to try to make things better. If, 3 years from now, they find ways to improve the SQ, the experience or both, they WILL introduce a Ragnarok2. If they didn't, they'd be doing us a disservice.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #2,183 of 9,484
Sorry, but this is the most asinine post I've read on Head-Fi...and that's saying something.

Lyr launched in Dec 2010. Three and a half years is a lifetime in electronics. Do you ask car manufacturers if they'll give you an upgrade when they come out with a new model next year?

They already DO offer upgrades on the DAC's, but to 'update' the amp would require an entire new board.

"I mean how can I be certain that things are going to be stable," Let me help you...they WILL NOT. Jason and Mike will continue to try to make things better. If, 3 years from now, they find ways to improve the SQ, the experience or both, they WILL introduce a Ragnarok2. If they didn't, they'd be doing us a disservice.

I'm not talking about making upgrades in the future, I'm talking about immediate changes that will make people who bought it earlier... that's like taking a bet that it's finished for sure or it's not and early buyers are beta testers.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2,184 of 9,484
  I'm not talking about making upgrades in the future, I'm talking about immediate changes that will make people who bought it earlier... that's like taking a bet that it's finished for sure or it's not and early buyers are beta testers.

That doesn't sound like Schiit. And in the past they always did retrofit free of charge.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #2,185 of 9,484

Lyr was around for THREE YEARS. how long do you expect electronics to remain unchanged? Do you think BMW keeps their cars the same for years and years so people don't feel bad about having an older model?

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #2,186 of 9,484
Lyr was around for THREE YEARS. how long do you expect electronics to remain unchanged? Do you think BMW keeps their cars the same for years and years so people don't feel bad about having an older model?

I think he's coming from Audeze experience, when a number of subtle, but noticeable changes were constantly introduced to the same model, screwing up early adopters.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #2,187 of 9,484
I think he's coming from Audeze experience, when a number of subtle, but noticeable changes were constantly introduced to the same model, screwing up early adopters.

Then he should go bitch in the LCD-3 thread. He also specifically referenced Schiit as an 'offender' with the Lyr...an amp that remained 'stable' for three years. Its like crying to Apple because you bought an iMac and they updated the processor afterwards.

And FWIW, for a reasonable fee Audeze will update his LCD-3's to the Fazor version.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #2,188 of 9,484
Then he should go bitch in the LCD-3 thread. He also specifically referenced Schiit as an 'offender' with the Lyr...an amp that remained 'stable' for three years. Its like crying to Apple because you bought an iMac and they updated the processor afterwards.

Well, indeed. Three years is a decent product cycle nowadays. Apple is much faster than that...

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2,189 of 9,484
I suggest to xvampirex: perhaps you just should not be an early adopter.  Wait and see how things shake out.

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #2,190 of 9,484

And FWIW, for a reasonable fee Audeze will update his LCD-3's to the Fazor version.

I'm sorry if you were offended by my rather innocent question, I didn't mean to offend anyone, I really want to get the Ragnarok as soon as possible (And soon enough maybe even becoming a local dealer for them). Also I didn't mean the part with the LCD-3 having some updates that put me off, for what's it worth, I'm not going to "upgrade" this since I've heard a bit of the LCD-3 with the Fazors and I didn't feel that it was an upgrade, even the person with the LCD-3's said that he liked my LCD-3 better :wink:

and FWIW I didn't know for how long Lyr was around, so sorry... I thought it was fairly recent.

You especially took it rather hard I see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back