New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 27, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #1,892 of 9,484
Yes, it's well documented Jason considers his pre-announcement of products like Rag and Ygg was a mistake.

May 27, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,893 of 9,484
It could be they are getting rid of the inventory of the Lyr v1, and thus down play any notion of the Lyr v2. So I guess I can wait a bit before my desire overwhelms me and I purchase the lry. However if I can keep my desire in check, I could save a bit for the Ragnarok::D

May 27, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #1,894 of 9,484

Considering that Jason has said that the Ygg will be an R2R ladder DAC, I think that the Ygg will compare better sonically with the M7 than with the Sabre or other SDM chip 'modern' DAC.  What I think will be the main discriminator between the Ygg and the M7, ± power conditioning, is the 18K+ filter taps the Ygg will employ.  That is some liquid analog output, if you've ever had the occasion to hear a Chord DAC product.  I just wisht the Ygg would offer I2S input to eliminate any clocking jitter considerations from the equation.  And on that score I'm actually hopeful, considering how much Mike ostensively hates USB and other forms of potential digital input signal degradation. Altho the Ygg's design and capability has probably been frozen for over a year now...

Thanks for the information, I seem to have missed previous posts from Jason on the Ygg and was purely speculating.  Although some points still hold - as far as chip R2R solutions being expensive and in unreliable supply, discreet R2R I would imagine would be even more expensive to match all those resistors.  You are right though if it uses R2R it will probably be more comparable with M7 than other sigma delta converters.  If they use a very good digital filter and high performance digital inputs I would be very interested in this DAC esp if they can overcome some of the limitations I have noticed with the older Ref 7.1 vs Sabre (slower sound, dark, lacking extension).  I have recently heard a Chord Qute and was very impressed, but personally I don't see why we need to use R2R (ultrasonic noise being ultrasonic and all) given the cost and supply challenges (personally I don't understand the evils of ASRC or IIR filters either).  AFAIK I2S is difficult for compatibility not only in pinout, but voltage, clock frequency, and also signal degradation.  Maybe LVDS I2S might be OK but again its a bit niche.  A good AES or SPDIF, or well done USB input would be enough for me.

May 27, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #1,895 of 9,484
Yes, it's well documented Jason considers his pre-announcement of products like Rag and Ygg was a mistake.

It's a delicate balance.

On one hand you're getting people exited and they might make plans to purchase your new fancy product at launch. You're also giving your brand good exposure and that's seldom a bad thing.

On the other hand people might be holding off buying your current products since they're waiting for something new. And in that time you might not only be losing business but your competitors might be reading something aswell.

If you look at how the big boys operate they have it nailed down pretty good; Total silence, announcement, then 2-8 weeks and reviews and product available for purchase. You don't want too long a window between the announcement and the actual sales launch or people won't see it as "the lastest and greatest" anymore.

It's a bit silly, but it's a well proven bit of human psychology.

May 28, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #1,896 of 9,484
One of the biggest problems with early product announcements is forums like this one.  Too many people demand instant gratification (whether they actually purchase the product or not) and the vast majority of average enthusiasts do not understand the product development process, so when specs and estimated milestone dates slip or change, and they always do, the manufacturer gets castigated for "lying," "making promises they couldn't keep," "biting off more than they can chew," "failing," and generally getting called out for not knowing what they are doing.  When in fact it's the critics who often do not know what they are talking about due to having unrealistically high expectations.  So rather than deal with all the speculation and fall out, it's often best to say nothing until the box is ready to mail. 

We forum dwellers did this to ourselves.

May 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,898 of 9,484
One of the biggest problems with early product announcements is forums like this one.  Too many people demand instant gratification (whether they actually purchase the product or not) and the vast majority of average enthusiasts do not understand the product development process, so when specs and estimated milestone dates slip or change, and they always do, the manufacturer gets castigated for "lying," "making promises they couldn't keep," "biting off more than they can chew," "failing," and generally getting called out for not knowing what they are doing.  When in fact it's the critics who often do not know what they are talking about due to having unrealistically high expectations.  So rather than deal with all the speculation and fall out, it's often best to say nothing until the box is ready to mail. 

+1 well said!

May 28, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #1,899 of 9,484

Except...

...none of those labels have been thrown at Schiit.

For the most part.

-Daniel

May 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #1,900 of 9,484
May 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #1,901 of 9,484

Yeah, no.  I don't see where that came from but with the Rag or Yggy, more like everyone's just chomping at the bit to know any new info.  If anything Schiit's already proven themselves couple of times over to be a competent player.

May 28, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #1,902 of 9,484
I was speaking generally, not specifically about this thread or about Schiit.  But I believe it does apply to Schiit as Jason himself alludes in one of his chapters.  I know with certainty that my statement has applied to other audio companies who tried to encourage their fan base on the Internet by giving them a preview of coming attractions only to have it backfire miserably.

May 28, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,903 of 9,484
  I was speaking generally, not specifically about this thread or about Schiit.  But I believe it does apply to Schiit as Jason himself alludes in one of his chapters.  I know with certainty that my statement has applied to other audio companies who tried to encourage their fan base on the Internet by giving them a preview of coming attractions only to have it backfire miserably.

in my experience, those are companies who aren't sure of themselves and who don't understand their customer base. 

May 28, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #1,904 of 9,484
  in my experience, those are companies who aren't sure of themselves and who don't understand their customer base. 

Perhaps.  But in my experience it's been Internet idiots creating and spreading FUD that's done most of the damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back