New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #1,741 of 9,484

I won't even touch that...
wink_face.gif

And I don't want you to.  
wink_face.gif

May 8, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #1,742 of 9,484
I go to sleep and this thread has gone even further downhill. Jude tells us that the Rag is one of the best amps he's ever heard with the HD800 and all the discussion is around erections and inappropriate touching. I'm all for a bit of light relief (sigh ..), but can we get this train back on the tracks ?

May 8, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #1,744 of 9,484
From what jude said about "make some adjustments to bring it to current production qualifier spec", I assume the order will open around late May, realistically.

But then, I would not be surprised even remotely if it gets delayed further.

May 8, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #1,745 of 9,484
I am hoping someone will take the Rag and try run it with the Keff R500 700 and 900 - maybe also the Klipsch R7 ii. If it can power those and sound better than the  Rotel RA-1570 - I will more than likely buy it. 

May 8, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #1,746 of 9,484
  From what jude said about "make some adjustments to bring it to current production qualifier spec", I assume the order will open around late May, realistically.

You're referring to Ragnarok or Yggdrasil? Jude was talking about Ragnarok, but I was curious about the (new) Yggdrasil release date. I supposed Q2 because previously it had been set to a Q1 release.

May 8, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #1,747 of 9,484

You're referring to Ragnarok or Yggdrasil?

Ragnarok.

My uneducated, wild guess on Yggdrasli: Mid-August.  
tongue.gif

May 9, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #1,750 of 9,484
  So it's going to be released next year? I hope not! I'm waiting for both Ragnarok+Yggdrasil for a big bad bundle purchase. Both, or none!!! 
tongue.gif

How many months are on your calendar, friend ? By my count, 5+6 = 11 and the 6 was a total guesstimate at best ! Other than accountants, a weird mob who live by the fiscal year, I'm not aware of anyone who considers November 2014 as 'next year' ..... 

May 9, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #1,751 of 9,484
  Ragnarok.

My uneducated, wild guess on Yggdrasli: Mid-August.  
tongue.gif

+3-6 months

wink.gif

How many months are on your calendar, friend ? By my count, 5+6 = 11 and the 6 was a total guesstimate at best ! Other than accountants, a weird mob who live by the fiscal year, I'm not aware of anyone who considers November 2014 as 'next year' ..... 

See above. Think he meant 3-6 months from August.

May 9, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #1,752 of 9,484
We can always wait. Products will come, eventually.

Now, I have a question for speaker matching for Ragnarok. Other than crappy B652 speakers, I have JBL L830 bookshelf speakers.( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=407268&gclid=COGDotjFnr4CFYqFfgod6j4ArA&Q=&is=REG&A=details )

My plan is running these JBL speakers with Ragnarok, but then I realized the power rating of L830 is 75W at 8 ohm. From spec of Rag, it can only do 60W at 8 ohm.

Sure, I am using these as near-field speakers, but I am worried about the speakers' tweeters since technically they will be underpowered a lot (from what I know, I should connect to an amplifier which can do 1.7~2X of the speaker's power handling. So rag is far from being 1.7X of 75W). Will the tweeters get damaged/killed if I use these speakers with Ragnarok?

May 9, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #1,753 of 9,484
We can always wait. Products will come, eventually.

Now, I have a question for speaker matching for Ragnarok. Other than crappy B652 speakers, I have JBL L830 bookshelf speakers.( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=407268&gclid=COGDotjFnr4CFYqFfgod6j4ArA&Q=&is=REG&A=details )

My plan is running these JBL speakers with Ragnarok, but then I realized the power rating of L830 is 75W at 8 ohm. From spec of Rag, it can only do 60W at 8 ohm.

Sure, I am using these as near-field speakers, but I am worried about the speakers' tweeters since technically they will be underpowered a lot (from what I know, I should connect to an amplifier which can do 1.7~2X of the speaker's power handling. So rag is far from being 1.7X of 75W). Will the tweeters get damaged/killed if I use these speakers with Ragnarok?

Personally I wouldn't sweat it. :wink_face:
Sensitivity is 1Watt = 90 dB, which is a loud average volume and your using them near field so you still have a lot of head room.
I've never heard of the 1.7-2 rule, My basic rule of thumb is, if it sounds distorted, turn it down. :xf_eek:

May 9, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #1,754 of 9,484
I've never heard of the 1.7-2 rule, My basic rule of thumb is, if it sounds distorted, turn it'd down.
redface.gif

I remember that rule from days of selling crappy Sony and Kenwood receivers at Fry's electronics with low current and inflated specs.  I'm not sure that rule applies to the average amplifier near the upper-end.

May 9, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #1,755 of 9,484
Personally I wouldn't sweat it.
wink_face.gif

Sensitivity is 1Watt = 90 dB, which is a loud average volume and your using them near field so you still have a lot of head room.
I've never heard of the 1.7-2 rule, My basic rule of thumb is, if it sounds distorted, turn it'd down.
redface.gif

Yupp, the first watt really is the most important watt. And "First Watt" is a fantastic company name me thinks!

I remember that rule from days of selling crappy Sony and Kenwood receivers at Fry's electronics with low current and inflated specs.  I'm not sure that rule applies to the average amplifier near the upper-end.

Probably not. I've heard the smallest 30W NAD amp in a store drive the biggest baddest $15000 speakers they had. Sounded excellent.

I've also heard a 15W tube amp drive full size planar speakers, they probably maxxed out the amp and there was probably some soft clipping going on. But as you know soft clipping on a tube amp is nothing to worry about and won't damage anything, it sounded absolutely glorious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back