NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jun 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #617 of 2,741
The gain switch is still active using the pre-amp out. Using the hd650 the gain setting is plenty. I made need hi gain for the he-4 arriving tomorrow. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #618 of 2,741
I finally got my Modi and Asgard 2 combo over here in Europe via Audiophonics. It took 15 days to get shipped to Europe from the US and an additional 12 days within Europe to my country. I must say I could not be happier. No audible hum is present in my model. The combo drives my Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 Ohm easily in high gain mode and the sound signature is very pleasing. I use it at work daily and the aesthetics of Modi and Asgard2 are marvelous. Overall, I am very happy with this purchase even though european prices for Schiit bite quite a bit (including shipping).

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #620 of 2,741
Quote:
To: insignum

When did you order your Asgard 2?

and congratulations!

ninexnine,

I placed my order on May 13th -- somewhere in the middle of the heated discussions about the transformer hum issue :). I was worried that my unit would be affected by the aforementioned problem and shipping it back would be a major hassle, at least time-wise. I was fortunate to receive the unit that had the problem fixed!

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #622 of 2,741
I'm trying to determine if the Asgard 2 is giving me a narrow soundstage or if its my source. I'm saying this with the X-Fi THD. I don't have a chance to test it on my MacBook Air, though.

May be an excuse to invest in the Bifrost. Just skeptical as I didn't really care for the Modi.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #624 of 2,741
Oh, derp.

HD 600. I'm sure they aren't soundstage monsters, and my Grados didn't really ever give me a sense of direction, but straight out of my phone, the sound stage seemed a little more present.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #625 of 2,741
The HD600s scale very well.  I think they have quite a large soundstage on some amps.

Quote:
Oh, derp.

HD 600. I'm sure they aren't soundstage monsters, and my Grados didn't really ever give me a sense of direction, but straight out of my phone, the sound stage seemed a little more present.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #626 of 2,741
That's what I've been thinking.  I'm still blaming it on the DAC, even though I think the THD fairs pretty well as far as PC soundcards go.  I'm thinking Uber Bifrost may be in my sights...

When I get my Mac back, I'll have to test to be 100% sure.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #627 of 2,741
System matching is so important, sometimes things gel and sometimes they don't, often it's not that either product is BAD they just don't play we'll together. I learned this yesterday with my DT990 600 ohm/Schiit Audio Valhalla setup. I moved them into a dedicated system with my NAD SACD player and bam! It sounds fantastic, much better than with the DragonFly feeding 24/96 computer files. I also put a line conditioner and a $600 interconnect on the system, but that's another can of worms completely! Haha!

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #628 of 2,741
I'm still doing testing, that's for sure.  Currently:

Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' album sounds fantastic.  Soundstage is no doubtedly there.  Wide, at that.  Regretfully a lot of the music I listen to isn't very 'directional', so it's easy to lose track of what a real soundstage is.  I will put it to the test with a movie later.

I really am trying to find excuses to get a Bifrost.  

Regardless I am very happy with the Asgard 2.  Not only will the build quality and premium feel make you like it (even the Magni and Modi felt premium), but the separation, increased detail, and overall definition of the sound will make you fall in love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back