NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jun 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #601 of 2,741
IMO these are not really that close. The A2 is versatile and pleasing at both low and hi gain. The M/M combo sounded unnatural. I just didn't like it. The A2 is worth the money if it's in the budget. 

gL!!

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #602 of 2,741
Quote:
IMO these are not really that close. The A2 is versatile and pleasing at both low and hi gain. The M/M combo sounded unnatural. I just didn't like it. The A2 is worth the money if it's in the budget. 

gL!!

ah...ok!
so asgard 2 is a good option...but what about the combo asgard 2/modi?Do you think I should go to something else as DAC to be at the same level of the amplifier (asgard 2)?

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #605 of 2,741
The only reason I swapped from the odac/lyr to bifrost is that I started to have trouble with jitter. The issue turned out to be the computer and not the odac. 

Stick with the odac unless you're just flush on money. Buy some music instead. 
size]

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #606 of 2,741
Quote:
The only reason I swapped from the odac/lyr to bifrost is that I started to have trouble with jitter. The issue turned out to be the computer and not the odac. 

Stick with the odac unless you're just flush on money. Buy some music instead. 
size]

+1 Good music makes a bigger difference

Jun 16, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #609 of 2,741
Quote:
MattTCG: if you have the Lyr, how does the Asgard 2 work into your rig? What does it work well with/do better than the Lyr? 

The lyr is about power, dynamics and lush mids. The A2 favors a more detailed but still natural sound. I love the gain feature on the A2. I can drive orthos and iems...and frequently do. 
size]

They are both great products. Just depends on what your driving and the signature you're after. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #611 of 2,741
Has anyone gone from the PA2V2 to the Asgard 2 and care to comment on differences and gains?

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #612 of 2,741
Quote:
Has anyone gone from the PA2V2 to the Asgard 2 and care to comment on differences and gains?

Well I have both and can say that the PA2V2, to me sounded dirtier, more noise with my Klipsch x10's, not a lot but, slightly more.
The Asgard 2 has very little hiss and 'dirt' compared to the PA2V2. In My Experience, that is.
But that being said not sure if this is a fair comparison as the PA2V2 is obviously for portable use and the Asgard 2 is not. 
I use the Asgard 2 mostly for full sized phones and as a pre-amp for my Stax rig, but have tried the x10's with it for comparisons sake.

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #613 of 2,741
Quote:
Well I have both and can say that the PA2V2, to me sounded dirtier, more noise with my Klipsch x10's, not a lot but, slightly more.
The Asgard 2 has very little hiss and 'dirt' compared to the PA2V2. In My Experience, that is.
But that being said not sure if this is a fair comparison as the PA2V2 is obviously for portable use and the Asgard 2 is not. 
I use the Asgard 2 mostly for full sized phones and as a pre-amp for my Stax rig, but have tried the x10's with it for comparisons sake.

Thanks - basically trying to see if its worth the $250 to leave my PA2V2 for...

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #614 of 2,741
Question...when using the A2 as pre-amp in conjunction with my Pioneer vintage receiver, is it advisable to use high or low gain?

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #615 of 2,741
Quote:
Question...when using the A2 as pre-amp in conjunction with my Pioneer vintage receiver, is it advisable to use high or low gain?

Yes.  That is to say, the gain switch is active on the pre-amp outputs as well as the headphone outputs.

Oh, I guess the question is WHICH should you use?  I'd start with the low gain setting.  If that allows you to get things loud enough for you, great!  If not, (turn the volume down and) try the high gain setting.  I've not been able to detect a quality difference between the high and low gain settings on the preamp side.  Low gain mode has plenty of output for my particular system (vintage Carver M-200t amp into mini-maggies). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back