NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jun 23, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #631 of 2,741
You may also consider the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II.  I've used it with the Asgard 1 and 2, and think it's a very good pairing.  

Quote:

I really am trying to find excuses to get a Bifrost.  

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #632 of 2,741
Quote:
Yes 90125 is fun to listen to and Fleetwood Mac Tango in the Night is too. Both on HD Tracks

Based on the Pink Floyd info....

Quote:
Bifrost Über is my next buy also!

Yeah, I'm not a 'classic rock' kinda person usually, but I appreciate the occasional PF and Yes.  Especially Yes.  Heart of the Sunrise really pushed me as a human being both mentally at physically in a surreal way.

Quote:
You may also consider the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II.  I've used it with the Asgard 1 and 2, and think it's a very good pairing.  

Will keep that in mind (bookmarked :)).  I've been looking for good DAC pairings everywhere and obviously people automatically recommend the Bifrost like it's the Jelly in a PB&J sandwich.

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #633 of 2,741
Quote:
The HD600s scale very well.  I think they have quite a large soundstage on some amps.

+1 Heard the HD600 on balanced at a local meet... soundstage was very immersive. My HD650 (which are really just bout the same as HD600 overall) also have much better soundstage running balanced outta Mojo/Gungnir than single-ended.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #634 of 2,741
Quote:

Yeah, I'm not a 'classic rock' kinda person usually, but I appreciate the occasional PF and Yes.  Especially Yes.  Heart of the Sunrise really pushed me as a human being both mentally at physically in a surreal way.

Will keep that in mind (bookmarked :)).  I've been looking for good DAC pairings everywhere and obviously people automatically recommend the Bifrost like it's the Jelly in a PB&J sandwich.

Another one you might want to look at is the Music Streamer 2+, it is in that same realm and gets a lot of good reviews. I have been looking at a lot of stuff but overall the Bifrost is coming out looking pretty good just wish it included usb but can't have everything...at that price anyway. Just need to decide on Lyr or Asgard 2 now.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #635 of 2,741
Quote:
Another one you might want to look at is the Music Streamer 2+, it is in that same realm and gets a lot of good reviews. I have been looking at a lot of stuff but overall the Bifrost is coming out looking pretty good just wish it included usb but can't have everything...at that price anyway. Just need to decide on Lyr or Asgard 2 now.

Why not the Bifrost Uber w/ USB option? It is kind of pricy in this category but at least it's an option...what, a little over $500 I believe for USB application.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #636 of 2,741
I think we have two great choices in the $500ish DAC category.

You can get the Bifrost Uber USB for $520.
You can get the V-DAC II (which has async USB) and the V-PSU for $510 ($380 + $130).

I have the second option and think it's fantastic.  I think I could be equally as happy with the first option.

Quote:
Why not the Bifrost Uber w/ USB option? It is kind of pricy in this category but at least it's an option...what, a little over $500 I believe for USB application.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #637 of 2,741
Quote:
I think we have two great choices in the $500ish DAC category.

You can get the Bifrost Uber USB for $520.
You can get the V-DAC II (which has async USB) and the V-PSU for $510 ($380 + $130).

I have the second option and think it's fantastic.  I think I could be equally as happy with the first option.

And, how about the Peachtree Dac-It? Good reviews-just under $500 -USB, Coax and optical. I think they're coming out w/ a "new and improved" version which may just top $500, but I'm not sure. I'm  looking at all these to use w/ my Sonos Streaming source for my digital files and digitized music in my collection to use w/ my stereo and HP's.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #638 of 2,741
I haven't heard the Dac iT, but the reviews are positive.  There are two things that concern me, but those might get fixed in the new edition.  The first is it does not support asynchronous usb transfer.  It relies on the Saber DA chip itself to reclock.  Maybe not a big deal.  The second is its wall wart power supply does not have an easy upgrade path, which the V-DAC does have.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #639 of 2,741
Quote:
And, how about the Peachtree Dac-It? Good reviews-just under $500 -USB, Coax and optical. I think they're coming out w/ a "new and improved" version which may just top $500, but I'm not sure. I'm  looking at all these to use w/ my Sonos Streaming source for my digital files and digitized music in my collection to use w/ my stereo and HP's.

I'll see what i can find out, I am interested too and a buddy of mine owns/runs that company! Maybe we could arrange a group buy?

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #641 of 2,741
Quote:
I haven't heard the Dac iT, but the reviews are positive.  There are two things that concern me, but those might get fixed in the new edition.  The first is it does not support asynchronous usb transfer.  It relies on the Saber DA chip itself to reclock.  Maybe not a big deal.  The second is its wall wart power supply does not have an easy upgrade path, which the V-DAC does have.

It will be asynchronous and it will have the same type power supply.  Still a month or so away.  iDac will be getting a MAJOR upgrade within the next 6 months. I was told it will have some cool stuff, but got no details
frown.gif

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #642 of 2,741
Quote:
The new DAC iT is available for pre-order, and it does finally does support asynchronous usb.  But, the wall wart still doesn't have a manufacturer, easy upgrade path.

http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/dac-it-x-digital-to-analog-converter.html

Hodgjy, you've been a good resource for me in Head-fi. Do you have an opinion between the Bifrost Uber vs Dac It?

My other thought would be to sit tight, save some pennies and see what these new Schiit products Jason is going to announce later in the year. I'm currently happy w/ my A-2.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #643 of 2,741
Why thanks!  
beerchug.gif

Honestly, I've never heard the DAC iT, so I can't comment.  It has very strong reviews, though.  I do think dedicated, non-wall wart power supplies are the way to go.  That's just my opinion, though.  But, the engineers designed it around a wall wart, and I'm sure they know a lot more than I do, so there you have it!  
L3000.gif

Quote:
Hodgjy, you've been a good resource for me in Head-fi. Do you have an opinion between the Bifrost Uber vs Dac It?

My other thought would be to sit tight, save some pennies and see what these new Schiit products Jason is going to announce later in the year. I'm currently happy w/ my A-2.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #644 of 2,741
Quote:
Why thanks!  
beerchug.gif

Honestly, I've never heard the DAC iT, so I can't comment.  It has very strong reviews, though.  I do think dedicated, non-wall wart power supplies are the way to go.  That's just my opinion, though.  But, the engineers designed it around a wall wart, and I'm sure they know a lot more than I do, so there you have it!  
L3000.gif

Your comment about the wall wart power supplies may be true up to a point, but consider this. The V-Dac II comes with a wall wart power supply, but the company also sells an upgraded power supply for it, and there are several retailers that say you can even do better than that for power and they sell an even heftier power supply for it. Obviously the standard wall wart leaves a lot to be desired. So bottom line, I totally agree with your comment saying dedicated power supplies are the way to go. What I find odd is that a power supply would change the sound of a dac all that much, an amplifier..sure they need a fair amount of power to do what they do, but there are dac's running off usb power just fine. I just find it strange that they would need all that much power to do their job.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #645 of 2,741
I first purchased the V-DAC II fully knowing I had an upgrade path with the power supply.  When the price of the V-PSU II dropped from $249 to $129, it was a no brainer for me to upgrade then.  I used the V-DAC II with the wall wart for about a year.  After swapping in the V-PSU II, I did notice some improvements.  They weren't drastic, but present.  The noise floor lowered, the bass got a little more tight and snappy, and the cymbals got more life-like and realistic.

Quote:
Your comment about the wall wart power supplies may be true up to a point, but consider this. The V-Dac II comes with a wall wart power supply, but the company also sells an upgraded power supply for it, and there are several retailers that say you can even do better than that for power and they sell an even heftier power supply for it. Obviously the standard wall wart leaves a lot to be desired. So bottom line, I totally agree with your comment saying dedicated power supplies are the way to go. What I find odd is that a power supply would change the sound of a dac all that much, an amplifier..sure they need a fair amount of power to do what they do, but there are dac's running off usb power just fine. I just find it strange that they would need all that much power to do their job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back