NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Jun 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #661 of 2,741
The Asgard 2 is not available in my country yet. When I heard the Asgard 1 a few months back, I thought it was nice but lacking in timbre and tone. Look forward to hearing if the Asgard 2 improve on this area.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #662 of 2,741
Quote:
MattTCG requesting your advice please about the synergy between the Asgard 2 & the HD650.  I'm new on Head-fi & own both HD6XX & am trying to decide on a Headphone amp to buy.  The Asgard 2 is one of them.  Thanks. 
popcorn.gif

I have no issue giving the Asgard2 very high marks. It pairs very well with the 650 and in this price range, you won't find a better amp IMO. You  can find a better amp for the 650 but you'd have to spend 2x the money and it would not sound 2x as good. My 2c...

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #663 of 2,741
This.

I didn't hear improvements over the Asgard 2 until listening to amps that crossed the $1000 barrier.  Of all the amps I've auditioned in my home (and there were several), only my Trafomatic Head One has been better, and that is a $1600 amp.  It's better than the Asgard 2 in very slight ways, but mainly in the mids.  Soundstage, PRAT, and bass control are about dead even.

Quote:

I have no issue giving the Asgard2 very high marks. It pairs very well with the 650 and in this price range, you won't find a better amp IMO. You  can find a better amp for the 650 but you'd have to spend 2x the money and it would not sound 2x as good. My 2c...

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #664 of 2,741
Thanks to all of you for your great & very helpful feedback.  I'm basically down to 3 choices : the Asgard 2, the Burson Soloist & the TEAC HA-501 (about which no online or Head-fi reviews concentrating on the "sound aspect" seem to exist).  I'm leaning more & more towards the Asgard 2 based on the great feedback & reviews I've read so far & of course the price difference 
beyersmile.png

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #665 of 2,741
Quote:
This.

I didn't hear improvements over the Asgard 2 until listening to amps that crossed the $1000 barrier.  Of all the amps I've auditioned in my home (and there were several), only my Trafomatic Head One has been better, and that is a $1600 amp.  It's better than the Asgard 2 in very slight ways, but mainly in the mids.  Soundstage, PRAT, and bass control are about dead even.

Thanks hodgly.  Much appreciated.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #666 of 2,741
Quote:
Thanks hodgly.  Much appreciated.

Thanks MattTCG also much appreciated.  I'm not sure if these replies are going to the respective member it's aimed for; as stated in my original message, I'm new here guys & right now it's trial & error with some reply options.  I'll try & educate myself better on the site somewhere.
confused_face_2.gif

-Old Groucho

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #667 of 2,741
Quote:
Another one you might want to look at is the Music Streamer 2+, it is in that same realm and gets a lot of good reviews. I have been looking at a lot of stuff but overall the Bifrost is coming out looking pretty good just wish it included usb but can't have everything...at that price anyway. Just need to decide on Lyr or Asgard 2 now.

Quote:
I think we have two great choices in the $500ish DAC category.

You can get the Bifrost Uber USB for $520.
You can get the V-DAC II (which has async USB) and the V-PSU for $510 ($380 + $130).

I have the second option and think it's fantastic.  I think I could be equally as happy with the first option.

Quote:
And, how about the Peachtree Dac-It? Good reviews-just under $500 -USB, Coax and optical. I think they're coming out w/ a "new and improved" version which may just top $500, but I'm not sure. I'm  looking at all these to use w/ my Sonos Streaming source for my digital files and digitized music in my collection to use w/ my stereo and HP's.

Quote:
The new DAC iT is available for pre-order, and it does finally does support asynchronous usb.  But, the wall wart still doesn't have a manufacturer, easy upgrade path.

http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/dac-it-x-digital-to-analog-converter.html

All of these look like great options.  Going to keep these in mind; thanks guys!
Quote:
Did you buy it through eBay with Paypal?  If so, you should be protected.  Sucks, though.

I can't believe that the guy sold it without the styrofoam.  The A2 is so new....too new for boxes to get thrown out.

These were my thoughts, too....Ironically enough, I just sold my DT770 80s in that box...best packing job ever...it really was some serious protection.  Pic is relevant:

Quote:
MattTCG requesting your advice please about the synergy between the Asgard 2 & the HD650.  I'm new on Head-fi & own both HD6XX & am trying to decide on a Headphone amp to buy.  The Asgard 2 is one of them.  Thanks. 
popcorn.gif

Ironically, my newly acquired HD 650 will be arriving tomorrow.  I couldn't resist the deal and the fact that I had to ultimately know if I would like the HD 650 better than the HD 600 or not.  Here are a few findings that have me believe the synergy of the A2 and HD 650 will be good:

The Asgard 2 is a 'bright' amp.  I will stand by this assumption, and this is after around 150-200 hours of use, so any type of 'burn-in' on the amp is most likely out of the way.  The HD 600s (via others opinions) are anything but a harsh headphone, but the Asgard 2 can take a few tracks and put it to its' limits.  The HD 650 is supposedly a 'dark' headphone with a 'veiled' treble.  If my assumptions are right, The A2 will brighten that top end of the HD 650, tighten its slightly more 'better' bass response, and overall just match it to the teeth.  Being as the HD 600 is fairly neutral, I feel that based on these assumptions/findings the HD 650s will excel with the A2 moreso than the HD 600s.  I also think that if this is true, the HD 600 would be better suited for a tube amp over the HD 650.

Of course these are all baseless assumptions until I get the HD 650s tomorrow, but boy, am I excited.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #668 of 2,741
Quote:

All of these look like great options.  Going to keep these in mind; thanks guys!
These were my thoughts, too....Ironically enough, I just sold my DT770 80s in that box...best packing job ever...it really was some serious protection.  Pic is relevant:

Ironically, my newly acquired HD 650 will be arriving tomorrow.  I couldn't resist the deal and the fact that I had to ultimately know if I would like the HD 650 better than the HD 600 or not.  Here are a few findings that have me believe the synergy of the A2 and HD 650 will be good:

The Asgard 2 is a 'bright' amp.  I will stand by this assumption, and this is after around 150-200 hours of use, so any type of 'burn-in' on the amp is most likely out of the way.  The HD 600s (via others opinions) are anything but a harsh headphone, but the Asgard 2 can take a few tracks and put it to its' limits.  The HD 650 is supposedly a 'dark' headphone with a 'veiled' treble.  If my assumptions are right, The A2 will brighten that top end of the HD 650, tighten its slightly more 'better' bass response, and overall just match it to the teeth.  Being as the HD 600 is fairly neutral, I feel that based on these assumptions/findings the HD 650s will excel with the A2 moreso than the HD 600s.  I also think that if this is true, the HD 600 would be better suited for a tube amp over the HD 650.

Of course these are all baseless assumptions until I get the HD 650s tomorrow, but boy, am I excited.

Thanks for sharing your listening observations on the A2 Pez.  Having owned the HD650 for a while now I conquer with your opinion on the probable synergy between the A2 & the HD650 exactly for the technical reasons you sited.  IMHO when the HD650 is properly matched & driven there is no veil.  This is an Asgard 2 thread so I don't know if you'll want to share your experience on this thread or on the HD650 appreciation thread once you hear the two matched together.  Try & get some sleep tonight 
confused_face.gif
 by not getting anxious about tomorrow.  We will be patiently awaiting your description 
popcorn.gif
about the pairing seemingly made in heaven. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #669 of 2,741
Yes, those headphones were packed , oh I don't know? About a thousand times better that my Asgard 2 was! Seller gave me a full refund and the product to "toss in the garbage", new switches are on the way from Schiit and I already talked to an amp repair guy about putting them in for me.  Fingers crossed that all that is wrong is a bit of cosmetic damage after the surgery!

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #670 of 2,741
Quote:
'veiled' treble.  If my assumptions are right, The A2 will brighten that top end of the HD 650, tighten its slightly more 'better' bass response, and overall just match it to the teeth.  Being as the HD 600 is fairly neutral, I feel that based on these assumptions/findings the HD 650s will excel with the A2 moreso than the HD 600s.  I also think that if this is true, the HD 600 would be better suited for a tube amp over the HD 650.

Haven't heard HD650 and most of Sennheisers but the 600 which I tested with a Naim amp is a very dark pair of headphones.
I do have a preference for brighter phones like the AKG & some Beyers

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #671 of 2,741
Quote:
I'll see what i can find out, I am interested too and a buddy of mine owns/runs that company! Maybe we could arrange a group buy?

Another thought might be to pick up the "old" Dac-It on sale. I don't know enough about the technical  differences between the new Dac-that is available just now vs the one that has been out for the past year or so. Maybe the improvements are significant and the new one is worth spending a little more. Maybe not?I had a conversation about the Dac-It with a home theater store and the salesman mentioned that he had a couple of the Dac-It's on sale for $300 ish. Gotta make room for the new product.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #672 of 2,741
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your listening observations on the A2 Pez.  Having owned the HD650 for a while now I conquer with your opinion on the probable synergy between the A2 & the HD650 exactly for the technical reasons you sited.  IMHO when the HD650 is properly matched & driven there is no veil.  This is an Asgard 2 thread so I don't know if you'll want to share your experience on this thread or on the HD650 appreciation thread once you hear the two matched together.  Try & get some sleep tonight 
confused_face.gif
 by not getting anxious about tomorrow.  We will be patiently awaiting your description 
popcorn.gif
about the pairing seemingly made in heaven. 
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I'm still very excited.  FedEx is really varying in the time they arrive here.  It can be anywhere from noon until 6 PM.  I'm hoping I don't become an unlucky case and they don't deliver until tomorrow 
frown.gif
.  However, my sinuses seem to be a bit congested today, so I might have to hold off on some impressions 
confused_face.gif
.  And I will try to share my opinion in all applicable threads.  I'm not a true expert like some here as the A2, HD 600 and HD 650 are my first real foray into the full-sized spectrum.  Of course I have my DT770s and Grado SR325i, but I still feel they are of a different level...hard to really express/explain.

Quote:
Yes, those headphones were packed , oh I don't know? About a thousand times better that my Asgard 2 was! Seller gave me a full refund and the product to "toss in the garbage", new switches are on the way from Schiit and I already talked to an amp repair guy about putting them in for me.  Fingers crossed that all that is wrong is a bit of cosmetic damage after the surgery!

Yeah, I sell/trade quite a bit of stuff (mostly on the computer forum I frequent) and I always believe getting stuff shipped properly is paramount.  I used a box twice the size I needed once just because I wanted to be sure of no problems arising.  I'd rather do that and spend the extra $5 than to end up needing to refund the money for a broken product that is then useless.  Sorry for your bad experience :frowning2:.

Quote:

Haven't heard HD650 and most of Sennheisers but the 600 which I tested with a Naim amp is a very dark pair of headphones.
I do have a preference for brighter phones like the AKG & some Beyers

I am the same way, and because of this I was very skeptical about trying the likes of the Sennheiser HD 6xx series.  I came directly from Grados and Beyers, so I was used to really 'sparkly' treble.  And I liked it.  I still do like the Beyers.  The Grados don't really match well with the A2, in my opinion, though, and drove me to disliking them.  This probably is why the recommendation is to use Grados with a tube amp for ultimate synergy.

The HD 600s, to me, have some of the most natural sounding treble I've heard from a full-sized headphone or IEM.  The Ultrasone HFI-780s I tried were terribly sparkly, sibilant, and unnatural (hated them), Grados gave treble a shine that actually made it unnatural, but highly enjoyable, the Beyers gave it a sparkle that made you forget about the not-so-hot mids, but the HD 600 give such an accurate representation of how things like cymbals should sound that it's almost scary.

However, the HD 600 seem to be very dependent on production of music.  I don't expect the the HD 650s to be completely different monsters, but I think a lot has to do with the bass response.  Just from looking at a few FR graphs, you can see the bass response of the HD 600 drops after a certain point, leaving much to be desired in the sub-bass area of things.  This really only applies to more modern music (pop, hip hop, rap, and even certain hardcore sub-genres), as things like Yes, Pink Floyd, The Beatles sound quite brilliant, and the HD 600s sit there, stare you in the face and tell you "these artists took time to produce their music the right way."  Rightly so, this leaves things like Dubstep, EDM, rap, hip hop, and other similar 'bassy' genres to leave a feeling of dissatisfaction.  Of course, if you're like me, and anticipated this, you have a pair of headphones to remedy for this (in my case, the DT770 LEs).

To comment more on the A2 and what it does:

The A2 does a great deal to improve separation over a non-amped source.  This is even true with the 32 ohm DT770s.  At the same time, it constantly brings up the point that "Hey, this band you really like; when they made this album in the studio, they didn't use 20 different mics on each drum like they should have." Or "Hey, they didn't level match any of the instruments properly, and that's why this cymbal and guitar note sound awful together."  This is a disadvantage for around 60% of my music as I listen to a lot of hardcore, metalcore, and progressive metal from some not-so-known or wealthy artists.  Therefore, I don't blame them, my equipment does.  This was truly evident with the Grados.  The HD 600s are a bit revealing of this characteristic, but nothing like the Grados.  In turn, this probably means a slightly more 'colored' headphone will sound better and not point out some of the glaring flaws that certain music has.

These are bands that sound great through the A2 + HD 600 combo:

Between the Buried and Me
Despised Icon
Yes
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Meshuggah
My Morning Jacket
Nights Like These
Oh Land
One Day As a Lion
Protest the Hero
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Red Hot Chili Peppers (though does bring out the distortion in the recordings; more specifically on Californication)
Say Anything

There are many more, but I feel that is a good representation of things it excels at.  Quite a bit of difference in styles there, though it's nowhere near a complete one.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #673 of 2,741
Quote:

Yeah, I'm still very excited.  FedEx is really varying in the time they arrive here.  It can be anywhere from noon until 6 PM.  I'm hoping I don't become an unlucky case and they don't deliver until tomorrow 
frown.gif
.  However, my sinuses seem to be a bit congested today, so I might have to hold off on some impressions 
confused_face.gif
.  And I will try to share my opinion in all applicable threads.  I'm not a true expert like some here as the A2, HD 600 and HD 650 are my first real foray into the full-sized spectrum.  Of course I have my DT770s and Grado SR325i, but I still feel they are of a different level...hard to really express/explain.

Yeah, I sell/trade quite a bit of stuff (mostly on the computer forum I frequent) and I always believe getting stuff shipped properly is paramount.  I used a box twice the size I needed once just because I wanted to be sure of no problems arising.  I'd rather do that and spend the extra $5 than to end up needing to refund the money for a broken product that is then useless.  Sorry for your bad experience :frowning2:.

I am the same way, and because of this I was very skeptical about trying the likes of the Sennheiser HD 6xx series.  I came directly from Grados and Beyers, so I was used to really 'sparkly' treble.  And I liked it.  I still do like the Beyers.  The Grados don't really match well with the A2, in my opinion, though, and drove me to disliking them.  This probably is why the recommendation is to use Grados with a tube amp for ultimate synergy.

The HD 600s, to me, have some of the most natural sounding treble I've heard from a full-sized headphone or IEM.  The Ultrasone HFI-780s I tried were terribly sparkly, sibilant, and unnatural (hated them), Grados gave treble a shine that actually made it unnatural, but highly enjoyable, the Beyers gave it a sparkle that made you forget about the not-so-hot mids, but the HD 600 give such an accurate representation of how things like cymbals should sound that it's almost scary.

However, the HD 600 seem to be very dependent on production of music.  I don't expect the the HD 650s to be completely different monsters, but I think a lot has to do with the bass response.  Just from looking at a few FR graphs, you can see the bass response of the HD 600 drops after a certain point, leaving much to be desired in the sub-bass area of things.  This really only applies to more modern music (pop, hip hop, rap, and even certain hardcore sub-genres), as things like Yes, Pink Floyd, The Beatles sound quite brilliant, and the HD 600s sit there, stare you in the face and tell you "these artists took time to produce their music the right way."  Rightly so, this leaves things like Dubstep, EDM, rap, hip hop, and other similar 'bassy' genres to leave a feeling of dissatisfaction.  Of course, if you're like me, and anticipated this, you have a pair of headphones to remedy for this (in my case, the DT770 LEs).

To comment more on the A2 and what it does:

The A2 does a great deal to improve separation over a non-amped source.  This is even true with the 32 ohm DT770s.  At the same time, it constantly brings up the point that "Hey, this band you really like; when they made this album in the studio, they didn't use 20 different mics on each drum like they should have." Or "Hey, they didn't level match any of the instruments properly, and that's why this cymbal and guitar note sound awful together."  This is a disadvantage for around 60% of my music as I listen to a lot of hardcore, metalcore, and progressive metal from some not-so-known or wealthy artists.  Therefore, I don't blame them, my equipment does.  This was truly evident with the Grados.  The HD 600s are a bit revealing of this characteristic, but nothing like the Grados.  In turn, this probably means a slightly more 'colored' headphone will sound better and not point out some of the glaring flaws that certain music has.

These are bands that sound great through the A2 + HD 600 combo:

Between the Buried and Me
Despised Icon
Yes
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Meshuggah
My Morning Jacket
Nights Like These
Oh Land
One Day As a Lion
Protest the Hero
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Red Hot Chili Peppers (though does bring out the distortion in the recordings; more specifically on Californication)
Say Anything

There are many more, but I feel that is a good representation of things it excels at.  Quite a bit of difference in styles there, though it's nowhere near a complete one.

pez, 
if you have a tracking number you can follow your FedEx delivery progress (I won't mention "or lack of" 
frown.gif
) From my listening experience the HD650 is non fatiguing & does basically everything well.  It does them even better, when the synergy exists between "it" and the amp + good source.   I also agree that the quality of the recording will affect the end result. Then I seem to discover some hidden side of the HD650 previously not perceived using a different or lesser amplifier/source. On average though with a good synergy on all levels this headphone will surprise you and then some : a previously undistinguished or buried/muffled sound, instrument in the midrange or background will appear to come out of nowhere, sometimes the treble will be very clear even sounding ever so slightly bright, quite surprising for a "Dark" labeled HP.  I've owned much more expensive headphones in the past but have always come back to my HD650. Again if the source, amp synergy & recording is decent, they can be played loud without any distortion  and under those circumstances there is no veil which I've never experienced with the HD650 in the first place 
deadhorse.gif

Between me and the HD650 it's a love affair.
beyersmile.png
  My apologies to members of this thread, as I realize this is an Asgard 2 thread.  I just wanted to share my personal view on the HD650's sound/synergy prospect with his Asgard 2. -Thanks.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #674 of 2,741
Quote:
The Asgard 2 is not available in my country yet. When I heard the Asgard 1 a few months back, I thought it was nice but lacking in timbre and tone. Look forward to hearing if the Asgard 2 improve on this area.

Greeni, sorry I didn't respond to your reply before & thank you for your sharing & help.  I owned an Asgard 1 in the past & I also share your description of it's lacking timbre and tone.  I also found the overall sound to be somewhat "closed" & "boxy" .  I too am looking forward to hearing the Asgard 2 which should be an improvement with the new technology as they described it (on Schiit Audio site).
popcorn.gif

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #675 of 2,741
Quote:
pez, 
if you have a tracking number you can follow your FedEx delivery progress (I won't mention "or lack of" 
frown.gif
) From my listening experience the HD650 is non fatiguing & does basically everything well.  It does them even better, when the synergy exists between "it" and the amp + good source.   I also agree that the quality of the recording will affect the end result. Then I seem to discover some hidden side of the HD650 previously not perceived using a different or lesser amplifier/source. On average though with a good synergy on all levels this headphone will surprise you and then some : a previously undistinguished or buried/muffled sound, instrument in the midrange or background will appear to come out of nowhere, sometimes the treble will be very clear even sounding ever so slightly bright, quite surprising for a "Dark" labeled HP.  I've owned much more expensive headphones in the past but have always come back to my HD650. Again if the source, amp synergy & recording is decent, they can be played loud without any distortion  and under those circumstances there is no veil which I've never experienced with the HD650 in the first place 
deadhorse.gif

Between me and the HD650 it's a love affair.
beyersmile.png
  My apologies to members of this thread, as I realize this is an Asgard 2 thread.  I just wanted to share my personal view on the HD650's sound/synergy prospect with his Asgard 2. -Thanks.

I agree.  I read the InnerFidelity article about the difference between the 580, 600, and 650, and I believe they made a good point that people were so used to Grado and Beyer headphones that when they went to the Sennheiser HD 580 and HD 6xx, they felt like they were a 'darker' headphone.

My HD 650 arrived shortly after my post :p.  I've been listening to them for the past 3 hours now and I have to say I'm impressed.  Obviously I've reduced my bias between both pairs as I didn't pay an outrageous price for either one, but so far I'm liking the HD 650 more.  The seller I bought them from said he had put about 100 hours into them, so they're about on par with the usage I've put into the HD 600.

I don't feel either pair are 'veiled'.  The HD 650 do sound 'darker' as they do have a bit more bass (which is VERY nice) and a bit more mid range to them.  I feel the bass colors the sound, but not so much that you wouldn't still consider them as 'serious'.  They're definitely more 'fun' than the HD 600, and as a result, makes them a better 'all-rounder' (IMO).  As I stated about the HD 600, the treble feels natural to the point where cymbals are scary-accurate sounding.  Obviously the bass is still not at DT 770 proportions, but the extension is very nice and welcome.  Enough so that after I've adjusted to the sound, might just sell the LE 32s I have.  

Let me know if I've left anything out :).  I'm gonna give my ears a rest so that I can let the experience resonate a bit 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Greeni, sorry I didn't respond to your reply before & thank you for your sharing & help.  I owned an Asgard 1 in the past & I also share your description of it's lacking timbre and tone.  I also found the overall sound to be somewhat "closed" & "boxy" .  I too am looking forward to hearing the Asgard 2 which should be an improvement with the new technology as they described it (on Schiit Audio site).
popcorn.gif

I too, kinda thought the Asgard 2 had a somewhat 'narrow' sound stage, but I never had an A1 to compare.  It seems to be appropriately distributed.  If a track makes use of positioning, it points it out.  If not, it just sounds 'normal'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back