NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Mar 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #196 of 2,741
Okay, you got me. 
size]
 But, in my defense it took me a while to really assimilate the sound and listen to lots of material to get a feel for how each amp performs overall. The vintage amp is really fantastic  with certain parts of the spectrum such as sub bass...tight and textured and incredible impact.  So in some cases the those numbers change depending on the material. So I admit that I got a little giddy from excitement over my free amp in the attic that feel only a few notches short of a $500 amp. 

Overall the lyr is still king. You can't beat the lyr with good tubes for hp's that can handle the power and not suffer from noise issues. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #197 of 2,741
I just dropped off my Asgard 2 for the return trip back to California. I felt the product was a little rushed and not up to the standards it should have been. I wanted to love it but just couldn't.  I'm glad I didn't sell my original Asgard when the 2 was on its way.

Now to the more pressing issue; Lyr or Burson Soloist SL for my HD600 and soon to be ordered HE-500.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #198 of 2,741
What are everyone's thoughts on the Asgard 2 + HE-400? Has anyone compared Magni + HE-400 to Asgard 2 + HE-400?

I just bought some used HE-400s and am currently amp-less, so I'm looking to buy one. I'm leaning toward Schiit for quality and aesthetics.

Also, I'm unfamiliar with pre-amp outs, so can someone please explain to me what exactly they are for and why they are called *pre*-amp? I read somewhere that they are for desktop speakers, but all the speakers I've seen have copper wire connections... not RCA. Does this mean the Asgard 2 acts as a speaker amp also? Or are the pre-outs just a simple pass through?

Thanks!

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #199 of 2,741
Quote:
What are everyone's thoughts on the Asgard 2 + HE-400? Has anyone compared Magni + HE-400 to Asgard 2 + HE-400?

I just bought some used HE-400s and am currently amp-less, so I'm looking to buy one. I'm leaning toward Schiit for quality and aesthetics.

Also, I'm unfamiliar with pre-amp outs, so can someone please explain to me what exactly they are for and why they are called *pre*-amp? I read somewhere that they are for desktop speakers, but all the speakers I've seen have copper wire connections... not RCA. Does this mean the Asgard 2 acts as a speaker amp also? Or are the pre-outs just a simple pass through?

Thanks!

The Asgard 2's preamp outputs won't power speakers. They're intended to be used with external amplifiers or powered monitors. The output signal varies depending on the volume knob position which can be a major convenience in some setups. Personally, I find it to be one of the most exciting new features but there are many that won't need that functionality. I'm loving the idea of being able to integrate the A2 as a key player in my stereo listening experience, instead of it just being a uni-tasker, as Alton Brown may call it.

As for the HE-400s, I can't speak from personal experience yet but I do recall reading an impression in one of the Schiit threads several days ago. From what I remember, the guy seemed unable to notice any glaring differences between the Schiit and his old amp. Apparently orthodynamic headphones aren't as sensitive to differences in headphone amplifiers. I'm sure someone much more qualified than myself will be able to chime in with some firsthand insight.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #200 of 2,741
Quote:
The Asgard 2's preamp outputs won't power speakers. They're intended to be used with external amplifiers or powered monitors. The output signal varies depending on the volume knob position which can be a major convenience in some setups. Personally, I find it to be one of the most exciting new features but there are many that won't need that functionality. I'm loving the idea of being able to integrate the A2 as a key player in my stereo listening experience, instead of it just being a uni-tasker, as Alton Brown may call it.

As for the HE-400s, I can't speak from personal experience yet but I do recall reading an impression in one of the Schiit threads several days ago. From what I remember, the guy seemed unable to notice any glaring differences between the Schiit and his old amp. Apparently orthodynamic headphones aren't as sensitive to differences in headphone amplifiers. I'm sure someone much more qualified than myself will be able to chime in with some firsthand insight.

Thanks for the info. I am quite unfamiliar with pro audio gear such as powered monitors. That usage seems to make a lot of sense, since you could easily swap between monitors and headphones. How exactly would you switch the output though? If you have headphones plugged in, does it automatically output through headphones and if you don't, it outputs through the monitors? I don't currently have any desk speakers... but I like the idea of being able to add some. I also see it as a big advantage over the Magni.

I looked around and found this picture of the rear of an M-Audio monitor. I don't see any RCA input so I'm wondering how you would connect something like this to the Asgard 2? I have no idea what TRS or XLR are...
http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/media_hqpics/BX8-back.jpg

I faintly remember reading that post also, and how orthos aren't affected by amps as much as dynamics. I understand that the difference *between* amps may not be that great, but what about from NO amp to the Asgard 2?

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #201 of 2,741
Quote:
I got one of the A2's with a hum I can hear across the room. It's strangely high in pitch unlike 60hz hum. However, when I pressed with my hand on top of the chassis it quieted down to where I could only hear it with my ear next to the amp. I put a heavy book on the transformer side away from the top vent for the weekend. I think the noise was amplified by the chasis.

I took the amp to a silent area of the home here and took some time to listen. It does seem like the hum is resonating or ringing with the case and this is making it much worse than it should be.

I find if I take my fist and just rest it on the Schiit logo it cuts the noise by about half. As well putting it up on some isolation cones has helped a bit. I wonder if the fellow who had taken his apart had noticed how the transformer is fixed to the board as this may be something that could be fixed with silicone washers and a little damping etc.

The amp itself sounds good so far, although I don't have a lot of hours on it. I really want to love this thing so I don't know what to do. Do you think Schiit would let me trade up to the Lyr? How would the sound be comparable?

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #202 of 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlitun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find if I take my fist and just rest it on the Schiit logo it cuts the noise by about half. As well putting it up on some isolation cones has helped a bit. I wonder if the fellow who had taken his apart had noticed how the transformer is fixed to the board as this may be something that could be fixed with silicone washers and a little damping etc.

Looks like it's soldered directly to the PCB.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #203 of 2,741
Quote:
The new backorder hit my order status today. I thought I was in the clear but now it'll be a long and painful 3 weeks before they even start shipping again.
frown.gif
This thing better be worth the wait. On the plus side, I like how the FiiO E07K handles my HE-400s. That should help with my impatience, at least for a few days.
wink.gif

I ordered Asgard on January 7th. Still no word. Through french shop, so I don't have direct contact to Schiit, sadly.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #205 of 2,741
Latest update on my Asgard 2 "noise" through headphones and transformer hum.

Just swapped out my Modi with the newly arrived Bifrost on the Asgard 2.  With foobar muted and voume turned up full the noise through the HD800's is lessoned drastically with the Biforst, only hear slight hum (higher pitched but a lot quieter), a very faint tick, and the the small hiss of volume. This is with the charger plugged into the laptop.  Not even loud enough to record now.  Unplug the laptop from the charger and after about ten seconds it is dead silent.

The hum of the transformer can now only be heard with my ear about one inch away as apposed to the four or so inches it was a few days ago.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #206 of 2,741
Good to hear.

My A1 and first A2 are noisy as well.  When I plugged my V-Moda M-80s into them and cranked the volume to max, it heard a loud hiss and a 60 hz hum (not a ground loop, though).  With my higher impedance headphones, I can't hear a thing.

My A2 had a transformer hum that I could hear clear across the room.  My replacement A2 is arriving tomorrow, so I'm impatiently waiting for it.  Except for the hum, the A2 sounded bloody good.

Quote:
Latest update on my Asgard 2 "noise" through headphones and transformer hum.

Just swapped out my Modi with the newly arrived Bifrost on the Asgard 2.  With foobar muted and voume turned up full the noise through the HD800's is lessoned drastically with the Biforst, only hear slight hum (higher pitched but a lot quieter), a very faint tick, and the the small hiss of volume. This is with the charger plugged into the laptop.  Not even loud enough to record now.  Unplug the laptop from the charger and after about ten seconds it is dead silent.

The hum of the transformer can now only be heard with my ear about one inch away as apposed to the four or so inches it was a few days ago.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #207 of 2,741
Got my A2 today in Australia. No noise through my 300ohm HD600s on high gain either and I'm young so my hearing should be quite good.
Sounds really good. Much better than the Audioengine D1 I had been using (which I'm now just using as a DAC). Also works well as a preamp to my Audioengine A2s.
I know the heat is supposed to be normal. But I really wish it didn't affect the volume knob so much, it's quite annoying when I'm trying to fine tune the volume.
But anyway, pretty happy with it at the moment at this early stage, even considering the extra $100 AUD (102.3 USD :wink: ) that us Australians have to pay if we want one.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #208 of 2,741
Jason,

Are you going to sell the A2 though amazon?

I want to buy one with my amazon card.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #209 of 2,741
I'm guessing once Audioadvisor gets their stock, you can buy from them through Amazon.

Quote:
Jason,

Are you going to sell the A2 though amazon?

I want to buy one with my amazon card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back