NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Mar 8, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #211 of 2,741
"STATUS: Backordered. We expect to begin shipping Asgard 2s again March 21."

Wow, that's pretty much a lot, seems they have to re-work the unit quite significantly. Personally I'm not in a hurry and would prefer to wait till a mature product comes out, but am sorry for those who ordered and have to wait now. Wish Schiit would come up with some sort of cool and stylish satisfaction to those in a wait :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #212 of 2,741
Quote:
"STATUS: Backordered. We expect to begin shipping Asgard 2s again March 21."

Wow, that's pretty much a lot, seems they have to re-work the unit quite significantly. Personally I'm not in a hurry and would prefer to wait till a mature product comes out, but am sorry for those who ordered and have to wait now. Wish Schiit would come up with some sort of cool and stylish satisfaction to those in a wait :)

In regards to the long wait, I believe it was actually mentioned by Jason that they just have a lot of orders to fulfill.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #213 of 2,741
Quote:
In regards to the long wait, I believe it was actually mentioned by Jason that they just have a lot of orders to fulfill.

Well, I read it differently, but whatever :) By the way, one of the European distributors told me that precisely because of the hum issue they are also waiting for a first batch to arrive to the EU in 3-4 weeks time only.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #215 of 2,741
Quote:

Thats the way ,I understand it,as well.

I emailed Jason about 7-10 days ago concerning the humming,his reply was:
"Issue has been fixed"
Does anyone,have any thoughts about the sound being similar, to the mjolnir?

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #216 of 2,741
I was gonna order on release day but didn't get my tax check yet, now i think i'll wait until the transformer buzz is worked out and they're no longer on back order.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #217 of 2,741
Quote:
I emailed Jason about 7-10 days ago concerning the humming,his reply was:
"Issue has been fixed"

In my correspondence with Jason at the beginning of the week I was under the impression that the hum wasn't necessarily fixed, but all units were being tested to ensure the hum wasn't audible from more than a few feet away.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #218 of 2,741
I just received my replacement A2.  This one was supposedly "handpicked" to be quiet with respect to transformer hum.  The good news is it is better than my first one.  The bad news is it still hums.  I can hear it from about three feet away.  My old one I could hear clear across the room.  So, it's an improvement, but I'm still disappointed a little, especially if this one was handpicked for its quietness.

Oh well.  You win some, you lose some.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #219 of 2,741
Hey all,

A quick update on Asgard 2:

1. The real problem is highly variable transformer mechanical hum, coupled with a relatively loud production environment that masked the worst of the problems. Think traffic noise and trains--our facility is on a busy road, and next to a train station. Our fault--we did not anticipate this problem, due to the prototype transformers being silent.

2. We've done two things about this:

a. Created a special "quiet room" for transformer hum verification to sort the transformers. We ended up pulling a lot of them out of production and sending them back to the manufacturer in the later part of the first run. 

b. Worked with the transformer manufacturer on a new process to reduce hum. The protos seem fine, but we'll see what happens when the real articles come for production in a couple of weeks.

3. When we start shipping again, all Asgard 2s will be sorted through the new "quiet room" and any noisy transformers culled before shipping. I'm hoping they're *all* quiet, but if they are not, we'll work with the transformer manufacturer until it is right.

Apologies if you've been affected by these teething issues. If you have any problems with your Asgard 2, contact us and we'll make it right.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #220 of 2,741
The Asgard was said to match very well with low impedence phones like Grados. Still as good a match with the Asgard 2?

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #221 of 2,741
The Asgard was said to match very well with low impedence phones like Grados. Still as good a match with the Asgard 2?

That's what the low gain switch will do for you. :)

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #222 of 2,741
My A2 has no hum at all - even with the ear in contact with the volume knob. Maybe different as this is a 230V version?

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #223 of 2,741
Quote:
That's what the low gain switch will do for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I know, but I meant in terms of "synergy"

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #225 of 2,741
As always, Jason and Schiit have made it right.  They are once again taking proper care of me.  Gotta love a great company with great customer service.

Quote:
I just received my replacement A2.  This one was supposedly "handpicked" to be quiet with respect to transformer hum.  The good news is it is better than my first one.  The bad news is it still hums.  I can hear it from about three feet away.  My old one I could hear clear across the room.  So, it's an improvement, but I'm still disappointed a little, especially if this one was handpicked for its quietness.

Oh well.  You win some, you lose some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back