NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Mar 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #181 of 2,741
Quote:
How is this amp with the HD650? Anyone tested it?

It's a very good pairing. I run the A2 on high gain for powering the 650. In short it improves on the original Asgard across the board. The phrase refined power comes to mind. Detail retrieval is improved, sub bass is  better (more texture and punch) and sound stage appears to be a bit wider and deeper than what I remember on the original. This is a good amp with nice features with the gain control and pre-amp out.  A sure hit for Schitt!!
size]

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #182 of 2,741
I, too, like it quite a bit. Its a noticeable improvement over the original Asgard. There are a couple problems for me.

With my JH5's, I still get a static noise floor, regardless of high or low gain. Is there no way around that? Or perhaps its just the fact of life when using it with a computer. . . .

Also, the high/low gain switch... when I turn it to low gain, only the right channel gets softer, so its pretty much not useful for me. This is with my JH5's or my DT990s. Anyone else see this?

FWIW, I'm using A2 with Bifrost out of the optical on my MacBook... Also putting my ear right up to it (burning sensation in my ear lol) I can hear a slight buzz from the unit itself, but it doesn't bother me at all. The computers in the office are much noisier.

I'll be contacting Schiit and I fully expect them to be excellent in dealing with my issue, but just wanted to see if it was more widespread, especially the gain issue...

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #183 of 2,741
Quote:
I, too, like it quite a bit. Its a noticeable improvement over the original Asgard. There are a couple problems for me.

With my JH5's, I still get a static noise floor, regardless of high or low gain. Is there no way around that? Or perhaps its just the fact of life when using it with a computer. . . .

Also, the high/low gain switch... when I turn it to low gain, only the right channel gets softer, so its pretty much not useful for me. This is with my JH5's or my DT990s. Anyone else see this?

FWIW, I'm using A2 with Bifrost out of the optical on my MacBook... Also putting my ear right up to it (burning sensation in my ear lol) I can hear a slight buzz from the unit itself, but it doesn't bother me at all. The computers in the office are much noisier.

I'll be contacting Schiit and I fully expect them to be excellent in dealing with my issue, but just wanted to see if it was more widespread, especially the gain issue...

A2 seems to be quite bad noise/hum wise with headphones that have low impedance (see my posts #168 & 171 in this thread).

I assume your DT990 has low impedance too? Mine are 600 Ohms and they have virtually zero noise/hum.

My A2 does not have "one channel" gain issue though.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #184 of 2,741
A2 seems to be quite bad noise/hum wise with headphones that have low impedance (see my posts #168 & 171 in this thread).

I assume your DT990 has low impedance too? Mine are 600 Ohms and they have virtually zero noise/hum.

My A2 does not have "one channel" gain issue though.

Thanks. Yep, thats what I am getting. Even with no cables connected to input, the 21 ohm JH5 IEMs are causing a loud "shhhhhh" sound at any volume level in High Gain mode. This is what I was experienced on the A1.

If I flip it to Low Gain mode, I just have the "shhhhhh" in the left earbud. So I think the circuit is working OK for me in Low Gain mode.

My DT990 is 600 ohm. I don't have the "shhhh" sound at all because of the 600 ohm, but the faulty Hi/Lo gain switch problem appears with these as well.

thanks much for your help

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #185 of 2,741
Quote:

Clearly there is some issue related to the gain.  Refer to my post #138 on this thread where I include this picture from the bottom of the PCB.  The cut trace you see at the top of the "scratch" leads directly to the gain switch:

Quote:
Thanks. Yep, thats what I am getting. Even with no cables connected to input, the 21 ohm JH5 IEMs are causing a loud "shhhhhh" sound at any volume level in High Gain mode. This is what I was experienced on the A1.

If I flip it to Low Gain mode, I just have the "shhhhhh" in the left earbud. So I think the circuit is working OK for me in Low Gain mode.

My DT990 is 600 ohm. I don't have the "shhhh" sound at all because of the 600 ohm, but the faulty Hi/Lo gain switch problem appears with these as well.

thanks much for your help

Looks like a faulty switch to me. It appears that not everything was right with the switch from the beginning (as blasjw discovered; see the quote above).

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #187 of 2,741
Quote:

It's a very good pairing. I run the A2 on high gain for powering the 650. In short it improves on the original Asgard across the board. The phrase refined power comes to mind. Detail retrieval is improved, sub bass is  better (more texture and punch) and sound stage appears to be a bit wider and deeper than what I remember on the original. This is a good amp with nice features with the gain control and pre-amp out.  A sure hit for Schitt!!
size]

So Matt, after being the number 1 advocate for the Lyr + HD 650 combo... how does the A2 stack up against it?  Do you have a partial preference for one over the other?  And how's the deathmatch going?  or should I ask that back in our other thread?
deadhorse.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #188 of 2,741
While I really enjoy the A2 with the 650, when it's all said and done the A2 is not a lyr killer...nor was it ever intended to be. You shouldn't be able to put a $250 amp against one that's nearly twice the price and have very comparable products. 

In my estimation the lyr with the 650 and a nice set of tubes is one of the best listens in the game period. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #191 of 2,741
Quote:
While I really enjoy the A2 with the 650, when it's all said and done the A2 is not a lyr killer...nor was it ever intended to be. You shouldn't be able to put a $250 amp against one that's nearly twice the price and have very comparable products. 

In my estimation the lyr with the 650 and a nice set of tubes is one of the best listens in the game period. 

Matt, do you still think your older Denon receiver sounds better than both A2 and Lyr?

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #192 of 2,741
The new backorder hit my order status today. I thought I was in the clear but now it'll be a long and painful 3 weeks before they even start shipping again.
frown.gif
This thing better be worth the wait. On the plus side, I like how the FiiO E07K handles my HE-400s. That should help with my impatience, at least for a few days.
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #193 of 2,741
Quote:

Matt, do you still think your older Denon receiver sounds better than both A2 and Lyr?

I have been really dialing in where I'm at with the performance of all of those amps in the past 24 hours. Right now, I'd give them the following scores out 100:

1. Vintage amp=80

2. Asgard 2=86

3. lyr=95

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #194 of 2,741
Could someone play this through their A2 and report back?  Thanks.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/4/4064574/nins-head-like-a-hole-mashed-with-call-me-maybe-is-perfect

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #195 of 2,741
Quote:

I have been really dialing in where I'm at with the performance of all of those amps in the past 24 hours. Right now, I'd give them the following scores out 100:

1. Vintage amp=80

2. Asgard 2=86

3. lyr=95

Quote:
And then, I made the vintage amp discovery. And yes, the 650 got even better. 
size]
  Yes, you can quote me. The hd650 on the 20+ year old amp that I forgot was in my attic, sounds better than the lyr. 
size]
 <the guy with the stick=headfi community, the whipped dog is MattTCG

lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back