NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Nov 17, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #2,326 of 2,741
Just bought new gear for my Grado RS1i. It's now Schiit Asgard 2 + Bifrost Uber and Schiit's PYST rca cables an usb cable. Must say I,m positively suprised of the build quality and sound of this setup an hasn't yet discovered any cons tough A2 runs very hot but luckily it is winter so extra radiator is not bad at all :D

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #2,327 of 2,741
  Just bought new gear for my Grado RS1i. It's now Schiit Asgard 2 + Bifrost Uber and Schiit's PYST rca cables an usb cable. Must say I,m positively suprised of the build quality and sound of this setup an hasn't yet discovered any cons tough A2 runs very hot but luckily it is winter so extra radiator is not bad at all :D

That's a very nice setup, the Asgard 2 is always going to run hot as it is a true, honest to goodness, no marketing B.S "Class A" amp and real "Class A" runs very warm to hot. If not for a brilliant case designed to help keep cost down, and to dissipate heat, and the guys at Schiit Audio's desire to offer incredible products well below the norm, the Asgard 2 could easily fetch 3 times the retail price.

Now go buy more music and try and forget about the components! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #2,328 of 2,741
I love my Asgard 2 and it has a firm place in my arsenal. My old Theta -> Asgard 2 -> Alpha Dogs is such a great all rounder. At times I prefer the HD600/BH Crack for rock but the Alpha Dogs do almost everything better and more lively.

If I had to go back and do it all again though I would just get the HD600/Crack because it's cheaper and you're almostt end game.

However after getting used to the Alpha Dog bass from the Asgard 2 and Theta it is clear that synergy matters.. Bifrost Uber and Asgard 2 made the Alpha Dog soundstage collapse and it had digititus at the high frequency extremes.

Bifrost MB cures this, but still lacks the weight and unique drive my Theta brings to the system cause of the 4V SE output. I haven't listened to the Bifrost MB in a few weeks but I think I will give it ago again.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #2,329 of 2,741
Just got the Asgard 2, and absolutely loving it! Replaced an M-Audio Firewire 610 I had laying around when I just got into audio production, and now my music sounds MUCH better! Great unit for its price point, and the delivery was insanely quick.

Now that I have a satisfactory setup for now, now to build my Hi-Res library!

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #2,330 of 2,741
i somehow accidentally ordered Asgard 2 and Modi 2U ... I only wanted to see the total in AUD via paypal before paying.. Paypal message says i will be able to review before paying however when I clicked continue.. it says thank you for your order ...

Emailed schiit so hopefully they will be able to provide full refund.

Anyhoo, are A2 and M2U stack good enough for Audeze LCD2 ? 

I just don't feel like spending 400$ on the Bifrost

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #2,331 of 2,741
  Anyhoo, are A2 and M2U stack good enough for Audeze LCD2 ? 
I just don't feel like spending 400$ on the Bifrost

Yes, it's good enough. Also, Bifrost Multibit is totally worth its price.

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #2,332 of 2,741
I have the Asgard 2 with LCD-2 and it's very good. But I think it's quite limit on the power side. LCD-2 requires 1-4W, while Asgard 2 may be able to push only ~900mW in 70 ohms. But not really a problem. It's quite a good setup. I have the Gungnir as DAC.

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #2,333 of 2,741
  I have the Asgard 2 with LCD-2 and it's very good. But I think it's quite limit on the power side. LCD-2 requires 1-4W, while Asgard 2 may be able to push only ~900mW in 70 ohms. But not really a problem. It's quite a good setup. I have the Gungnir as DAC.

LCD-2F has much lower power requirements, than pre-Fazor cans... I never had to turn volume past 9 am on mine.

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #2,334 of 2,741
Volume is the amplitude of the wave, so it's voltage. Power is not the actual volume.

Nov 26, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #2,336 of 2,741

Volume is the amplitude of the wave, so it's voltage. Power is not the actual volume.

Where are you measuring the amplitude? I would think volume is loudness as in the SPL that greets one's ears.

No offense, but instead of picking apart his terminology, maybe you could admit that volume position of a knob (and gain) don't necessarily equate to power at the headphone, which translates into SPL. 
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #2,337 of 2,741

No offense, but instead of picking apart his terminology, maybe you could admit that volume position of a knob (and gain) don't necessarily equate to power at the headphone, which translates into SPL. 
wink.gif

Words are how we communicate. No offence taken, I was just trying to make things technically correct. Yes the volume control affects/adjusts the sound volume that we hear, however, that was not what was originally stated. I asked where the "amplitude" was measured. If it was measured at the ouput of the DAC, then the volume control would not even be a factor.

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #2,339 of 2,741
  Just to reiterate what others have said;  the Asgard 2 drives the LCD-2 fazor very well.  My volume knob doesn't go past 10 o'clock unless I want to hurt myself.

Our household can also confirm that the ASGARD 2 drives our HD-650, HD-800, & T1 ver.2 beautifully.  And that the T1 ver.2 takes HI GAIN with no complaints!

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #2,340 of 2,741
Just opened up my Christmas gift & YESSSSSS I finally got the Asgard 2. So pretty, so clean!!!

Now I want to just say I'm not technically sophisticated at all about my audio gear. I just love music & I want to enjoy it at it's most optimum. 

But I do have a few questions for the seasoned posters on here. Here are my simple specs:

Source: iphone 6 Plus
Headphones: HiFi Man HE 400i
Amp:  Asgard 2

The A2 replaced or will replace the Fiio Mont Blanc & so far honestly I'm not hearing a discernible difference?? In fact the Fiio's bass boost seems to make the enjoyment of listening leaning towards the Fiio...so far! I'm not a bass head but I do have an allotment of music that as a moderate amount of bass. Does the A2 require a "burn in" time like some headphones do?  I have the gain switched up as well.

I tried playing so far a variety of music to see if I hear any major differences:

Ottmar Liebert - Santa Fe
John Coltrane- Dear Lord
The Art of Noise- Moments In Love
RJD2-Weatherpeople
Galimatias & Alina Baraz- Drift

Could it be the HD 400i's? 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Happy Holidays!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back