NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Nov 21, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #1,966 of 2,741
I have used a basic belkin surge protector (about $25) for a couple of years without any problems. I have read that direct into wall helps with power but after trying one night I didn't notice any improvement so I just play it safe. I gave up trying to find a definitive answer to this question after many hours on google which makes me think it's a non issue.

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #1,967 of 2,741
  Okay one question do you prefer the Asgard 2 power cable being plugged in from a power brick or from an outlet from the wall?

I have been plugging all of my audio equipment into UPS units that have "TRUE SINE WAVE" power signatures.  Combo of Eaton and APC.

For my smaller power-draw devices:  Eaton 5125 "1500" Technical Specifications here: http://www.powerprosinc.com/Eaton-5125/

For my larger power-draw devices: APC SUA2200XL Technical Specifications here: http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA2200XL

My ASGARD 2, Home Theater PC (Foobar 2000 or JRiver 20 Media Center software), and DAC run off the Eaton
The HD Television (Major reason why you MUST use a true "SINE WAVE" UPS otherwise you may get dangerous "power pulses" when running off battery power!) and surround sound setup all run off of one of our APC SUA2200XL chassis behind the Entertainment wall.

To be clear, in both our old apartment, and now in our house, we have never experienced power issues or noise/interference from power contamination with this setup.
Before we had it, we lost a lot of equipment to a power surge from a lightning strike, so I will never allow our high-end gear to be plugged directly into a wall socket again.  Its' a PAIN and large cost to replace all of it.  Large enough that it justified putting commercial-grade UPSes in place.  Expensive?  Yes.  But still cheaper to own than risking immediate or long-term intermittent damage troubleshooting headaches from a power spike.  And after we lost lost power for 3 days after last year's hurricane, it was AWESOME being able to run our bare essentials for all three days and have small lamps powered at night!  (Didn't have a generator when we were still in the apartment last year.)

Can you get away with a $1-200 UPS?  Sure.  But if you spend north of $500 on headphones, and north of 10 thousand dollars on your HiFi and Television setup, it seems as silly to me as cutting corners on the protector case for your new $300 + dollar smart phone to save $20-30 on a case that might not protect it from a fall from your coat pocket...  Not to mention that it becomes less likely that will get CLEAN PURE SINE power with very low harmonic distortion, no static or humming noise in that price range.  But more power to you if you find a deal!

Ken N.

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #1,968 of 2,741

By the way, I bolded the "WHEN RUNNING OFF BATTERY POWER" because someone might buy a plain UPS, plug it all up and everything will work fine.  The problem will not show itself until you make the UPS operate under load from its INTERNAL BATTERY.  Then you will likely witness a problem if it is going to happen.  So many have argued that you don't need a true sine wave UPS because their setup "works perfectly" for them.  Problem is: They don't notice the problem until the power goes out for the first time....  Then it's too late.

If you want to try a Belkin, Cyberpower, or other basic UPS, just make sure that you TEST IT under load by unplugging the UPS from the wall or cutting a circuit breaker while your devices are running normally.  That's the best way that I've been able to tell if

A:  The UPS is able to handle the load
B:  The power supplied will be "clean" with no noise or noticeable distortion
C:  The UPS will run for a sufficient length of time  (TVs and amps draw LOTS of power for a UPS designed for a simple PC or laptop...)

Our setup with extended batteries in our media closet adding to the main UPS capacities give us 8 to 12 hours of continuous use.  More than enough to last us 3 or 4 days if we ration power during a prolonged blackout even with recharging our phones and devices and leaving small, high efficiency lamps running when it gets dark.

Long story-short:  If you buy a UPS, charge it up overnight, put it under load un plugged from the wall and test if it will perform the WAY you want, FOR AS LONG AS YOU WANT.

If it doesn't make sure that you buy from a seller who will let you return, or at least trade-up to a grade of UPS that will.  Be prepared to spend money to protect your expensive investments. It may cost you MUCH MORE money and aggravation if you don't.

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,969 of 2,741
  I ordered an Asgard 2 this past Monday but still haven't received an email about the shipping date.

Has anyone that also placed an order gotten any info about the shipping date?

-Mike

No

When I ordered mine, I ordered mine 1 week before Christmas
Never got an email for shipping info or anything, but came 2 days before Christmas  

I don't know about you but I never got one.

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,972 of 2,741
Is it a stupid idea to put the Bifrost over the amp rather then putting the amp on top of the DAC?

Well heat rises so it's gonna heat up that DAC quite a bit. It's definitely not a good idea.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #1,973 of 2,741
I have the Asgard 2 on top of the Gungnir and though the Asgard 2 runs nice and very warm/kinda hot as a "Class A" amp should I've had zero issues. Well, I shouldn't say no issues as I'm spending too much money on music...

I'm sorry, I hadn't refreshed the page in a while and didn't see that others had already answered your question. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #1,974 of 2,741
I have the Asgard 2 on top of the Gungnir and though the Asgard 2 runs nice and very warm/kinda hot as a "Class A" amp should I've had zero issues.

he's talking about putting the DAC on top of the amp. Having the amp on the bottom is fine and I do that with my Asgard 2 & Bifrost Uber. :)

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #1,975 of 2,741
he's talking about putting the DAC on top of the amp. Having the amp on the bottom is fine and I do that with my Asgard 2 & Bifrost Uber.
smily_headphones1.gif

I gotcha, best to put the rather hot running amp on top like others have already said. I'm sorry about that, trying to read and do too many things at once. My mistake. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #1,976 of 2,741
First time poster here.  My Bifrost Uber USB Gen 2 and Asgard 2 were due to arrive this afternoon but were delayed :frowning2:.  They should be here tomorrow.  They are an upgrade to the Fiio e7/e9 combo that I have been running for the last couple of years.  Chain will go Foobar2000 wasapi -> Wyrd -> Bifrost Uber -> Asgard 2 -> HD650 or HD 598.  I am hoping this is a major upgrade in sq for me and I look forward to being able to give my impressions in a few weeks after I have had some significant time with my new gear.  Tomorrow won't get here soon enough!   

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #1,977 of 2,741
  First time poster here.  My Bifrost Uber USB Gen 2 and Asgard 2 were due to arrive this afternoon but were delayed :frowning2:.  They should be here tomorrow.  They are an upgrade to the Fiio e7/e9 combo that I have been running for the last couple of years.  Chain will go Foobar2000 wasapi -> Wyrd -> Bifrost Uber -> Asgard 2 -> HD650 or HD 598.  I am hoping this is a major upgrade in sq for me and I look forward to being able to give my impressions in a few weeks after I have had some significant time with my new gear.  Tomorrow won't get here soon enough!   

If your source files are high quality I think you will be very, very pleased with your purchase. Good luck, I hope you enjoy your new Schiit!   

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #1,978 of 2,741

If your source files are high quality I think you will be very, very pleased with your purchase. Good luck, I hope you enjoy your new Schiit!   

Thank you!  Most of my music collection is ALAC ripped from cd using EAC so 16/44.  I expect I will be very pleased!

Edit:  BTW I love your avatar!  Master Shake is my second favorite character from ATHF after Carl.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #1,979 of 2,741

Thank you!  Most of my music collection is ALAC ripped from cd using EAC so 16/44.  I expect I will be very pleased!

That'll get the job done, check back in after spending some time with your new gear and let us know what you think. Enjoy!

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #1,980 of 2,741
I think you will be very happy the improvement on both the 650s and the 598s I found that with the 650s a better dac/amp help quite a bit and with the hd598 using a dac/amp that may seem like overkill if it's your only headphone will bring them to there peak of sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back