NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Mar 10, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #1,442 of 2,741
  1540 bros! 
beerchug.gif

You have an Emotiva XDA and a Bifrost? Which XDA is that? 1 or 2?

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #1,445 of 2,741

Ah gotcha. Good idea too. Have you taken the time to compare it as a DAC to the UberFrost? I was thinking of going with the XDA-2 over the UberFrost myself but there arent many people who have both.

No i haven't done a direct comparison to the Bifrost Uber (I got mine super cheaper earlier this year for $250) but I can tell you the headphone amplifier isn't that powerful.  It's more of an entry level dac/amp to me.  Actually it looks like the XDA2 has been marked down to $269, which is still a sick deal vs the $400 it used to cost.  As a headphone amplifier i think the XDA2 is lacking, Emotiva also sells the Stealth DC-1 which has two of the same DAC chips as the XDA2 and dual headphone outputs.  I can't tell if it's more powerful than the xda2 though.  Judging from the gear you have listed in your signature, I would skip the XDA-2 as a DAC or amp.  I have done a comparison of the xda2 as an amp against my Asgard 2, the A2 blows the XDA2 out of the water, IMO.  I love my Bifrost+A2 stack.  I would suggest you look at the Peachtree DAC-itx, http://www.amazon.com/Peachtree-Audio-DAC-iTX-Converter-Asynchronous/dp/B00E4WSPBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394563381&sr=8-1&keywords=dac+itx.  That's the only other DAC i considered based off all the research I did before getting my Bifrost Uber.  If you look at the reviews you will see that the Bifrost is warmer and the Peachtree is more analytical.  Pm me if you have any other questions though as i don't want to derail the thread any further :D

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #1,446 of 2,741
Anyone using the Asgard 2 in a stereo amp and speaker setup as a single source preamp and headphone amp? I've never heard either version of the Asgard.

I already own the Lyr and LOVE it with my planar magnetics (and my K701's), but my easier to drive headphones like the B&W P7's don't require that much juice and I'd like to use a well designed headphone amp w/preamp outputs as both a preamp and headphone amp in my office system (two birds, one stone kinda thing). I would "think" that a fully discrete Class A design like the Asgard 2 would work really well as a preamp to either my Parasound A23 or A21. 

Any feedback on how it preforms as a preamp (I trust that it works very well as a HP amp) would be greatly appreciated.  

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,447 of 2,741
I'm curious on its use as preamp as well, specifically if the gain switch affects the pre-out.

My search-fu is failing me, sorry if this has been covered.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #1,448 of 2,741
I'm using my Asgard 2 as a preamp on my desktop speakers (Creative T40II)... if thats what you ask. The preamp improves the sound quality and the gain switch does affect volume output.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #1,449 of 2,741
  I'm curious on its use as preamp as well, specifically if the gain switch affects the pre-out.

My search-fu is failing me, sorry if this has been covered.

I've had no luck via search either. 

I'd be using it as a preamp feeding a stereo amp not a powered set of speakers. Not sure if the gain switch works with the preamp outs or not. The Lyr sounds good as a preamp, but I really have to keep the volume down low to use it but luckily the tracking balance is damn near perfect on mine. I think the Asgard 2 would make a great preamp for the phones i use most now, but

I'd love to hear from some others as to how it preforms as a preamp. I would "assume" that it would sound very clean with a quiet background. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,450 of 2,741
  Anyone using the Asgard 2 in a stereo amp and speaker setup as a single source preamp and headphone amp? I've never heard either version of the Asgard.

I already own the Lyr and LOVE it with my planar magnetics (and my K701's), but my easier to drive headphones like the B&W P7's don't require that much juice and I'd like to use a well designed headphone amp w/preamp outputs as both a preamp and headphone amp in my office system (two birds, one stone kinda thing). I would "think" that a fully discrete Class A design like the Asgard 2 would work really well as a preamp to either my Parasound A23 or A21. 

Any feedback on how it preforms as a preamp (I trust that it works very well as a HP amp) would be greatly appreciated.  

I've used the A2 as preamp with a speaker setup. The A2 seems to deliver a very nice clean  signal without changing the character of the sound from the dac to the amp. 

What do you guys think abouat the A2 powering the new hifimans? Think that the A2 will do the trick?

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #1,451 of 2,741
I'm using my Asgard 2 as a preamp on my desktop speakers (Creative T40II)... if thats what you ask. The preamp improves the sound quality and the gain switch does affect volume output.

Perfect! Thanks. My hearing is crazy sensitive, so I'm always looking for volume controls that don't add a lot of gain.

I'm excited for the 3 settings on Ragnarok+speaker outs, but my upcoming roommate change will require me to go back to headphones w/occasional monitor use. A2 is my top choice right now.

Anywho, I don't mean to hijack KLJTech's question; anyone else with preamp-specific A2 feedback care to chime in?

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,452 of 2,741

I've used the A2 as preamp with a speaker setup. The A2 seems to deliver a very nice clean  signal without changing the character of the sound from the dac to the amp. 

What do you guys think abouat the A2 powering the new hifimans? Think that the A2 will do the trick?

Well, when MLE reviewed the ADs on his thread with my A2, he mentioned that the dial was past 1 o'clock on high gain... 

Are the new Hifimans harder to drive than the ADs?

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #1,454 of 2,741

Does the Gain Switch alter the output a the preamp Outputs? 

I've read that headphone amps with preamp outs "can" make for great single source preamps as they often feature a simple/clean circuit design than a lot of full feature preamps. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #1,455 of 2,741

Does the Gain Switch alter the output a the preamp Outputs? 

I've read that headphone amps with preamp outs "can" make for great single source preamps as they often feature a simple/clean circuit design than a lot of full feature preamps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back