NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Mar 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #1,427 of 2,741
What are those?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBAH3-Hybrid-Driver-Headphones/dp/B00FJISZ28

If you love the 1540... these are some nice IEMs to alternate with and have when on the go...

And they absolutely shine on the Asgard 2!

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #1,428 of 2,741
Mar 8, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #1,433 of 2,741
After seeing everyone here talk about using IEMs with their Asgard I plugged in the Triple Fi 10s and was really surprised how good they sounded.

For the price, the A2 seems like a very versatile amp at an awesome price.

2-3 weeks into ownership and I'm not regretting a thing (and it doesn't seem like anyone else here is either).

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,434 of 2,741
  After seeing everyone here talk about using IEMs with their Asgard I plugged in the Triple Fi 10s and was really surprised how good they sounded.

For the price, the A2 seems like a very versatile amp at an awesome price.

2-3 weeks into ownership and I'm not regretting a thing (and it doesn't seem like anyone else here is either).

Agreed...

Very versatile...

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #1,435 of 2,741
  Just a quick question. I tried searching this thread and didn't get any hits that matched my situation.  I recently bought a demo Asgard 2 last week from a local store (after going through 2 defective Fiio E09k's) to pair with my AKG K702.65 Annies.  I have noticed that it clicks seemingly randomly after it gets hot after about maybe minimum of 1 hour of on time.  It's definitely not the muted power on/off relay click within 10 seconds of powering on/off.  This relay click is much louder than that and it only happens once the unit is nice and toasty warm/hot.  So during a 3 hour listening session it may click once or twice.  Is this behavior normal?  Or is my bad luck with amps just continuing?     

Just a little update on my issue.  It turns out I was wrong, it was not a mechanical relay click that I was hearing, it was a crack/snap noise from thermal expansion of the metal chassis.  That explains why it only happened after at least 30-45mins of powered on time when the chassis got really hot.  While testing and timing it over several days last week to narrow down the exact symptoms so that I could report it I happened to press down lightly on the front left of the chassis near the screw to feel for the temperature I heard a crack noise which sounded like a loud relay click.  Then I started pressing down near the other screws and another slightly quieter crack noise popped from the front right screw.  After that there was no more noise.  

I was able to reproduce this consistently for several days after letting the unit fully cool down and then heating it up again.  I then checked the sides and noticed a gap between the silver chassis and gray middle side/back panel piece near the front on both sides.  The gap was bigger near the front of the unit versus the back.  So I checked the screws and they appeared snug and not loose.  I tried unscrewing them a few turns, then flicked it on and tried the heat test again and it still made the crack noise.  After letting it fully cool down again, I pressed down on the front of the chassis to shrink the side gaps and then tightened down on the top front 2 screws and repeated the heat test and now there is no more crack/snap noise.  After 3 days of separate 3+ hour runs there's no more crack/snap noise.  

Yay!  Now I don't have to deal with the hassle of a return/refund/exchange.  Now back to enjoying the music... and saving up for some Alpha Dogs. 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #1,436 of 2,741

Yay!  Now I don't have to deal with the hassle of a return/refund/exchange.  Now back to enjoying the music... and saving up for some Alpha Dogs. 
tongue_smile.gif

It's great you found a solution.  However, I would still let Jason know of it just in case he needs to let the metal guys know.  Also, you never know what warranty work you might need done in the future, so it's nice to document this now to make things less complicated later.

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #1,438 of 2,741
Mar 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #1,439 of 2,741
  I'm thinking about picking up the A2 and keeping either the HD600 or HD650 but I'd like to pair the one I keep (probably the HD600) another open headphone that has a different sound signature but which is stellar with the Asgard 2. So, if you have any recommendations, knowing how the Asgard 2 sounds and where it excels, how would you finish the following. (And...Grados are out.) 

Ipod Classic 7th Gen > Line out > Asgard 2> HD600 + ??? 

OR

Ipod Classic 7th Gen > Line out > Asgard 2. HD650 + ???

Line out is the weak link here. Honestly, don't bother with such a great kit with the music supplied via Line Out. The least you should be looking for is Digital Out from an iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back