NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Mar 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #1,396 of 2,741
Oh, you guys quit whining. It was -12 last night. Try single digits more often than not each week, temperatures averaging the teens most days, with over 110" of snow. I don't even know what I would do with the snow now if I had to shovel this more. LOL

Lol you would throw your back out? Hey now I'm good at whining!

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #1,398 of 2,741

It finally made it above freezing in the Buffalo area yesterday, but now we're back to what has been pretty typical this winter, highs in the teens. Plus, we received another 2-3 inches of snow overnight. The last couple of winters have been relatively decent, so one like this has been bound to come along.

And yes, the A2 has come in handy as a warmer.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #1,400 of 2,741
Just a quick question. I tried searching this thread and didn't get any hits that matched my situation.  I recently bought a demo Asgard 2 last week from a local store (after going through 2 defective Fiio E09k's) to pair with my AKG K702.65 Annies.  I have noticed that it clicks seemingly randomly after it gets hot after about maybe minimum of 1 hour of on time.  It's definitely not the muted power on/off relay click within 10 seconds of powering on/off.  This relay click is much louder than that and it only happens once the unit is nice and toasty warm/hot.  So during a 3 hour listening session it may click once or twice.  Is this behavior normal?  Or is my bad luck with amps just continuing?     

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #1,401 of 2,741
  Just a quick question. I tried searching this thread and didn't get any hits that matched my situation.  I recently bought a demo Asgard 2 last week from a local store (after going through 2 defective Fiio E09k's) to pair with my AKG K702.65 Annies.  I have noticed that it clicks seemingly randomly after it gets hot after about maybe minimum of 1 hour of on time.  It's definitely not the muted power on/off relay click within 10 seconds of powering on/off.  This relay click is much louder than that and it only happens once the unit is nice and toasty warm/hot.  So during a 3 hour listening session it may click once or twice.  Is this behavior normal?  Or is my bad luck with amps just continuing?     

Definitely NOT normal. Time to speak to the salesperson about rectifying the situation.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,403 of 2,741
The question is if the clicking noise is a mechanical noise from the amp or a sound noise through the headphones.

If sound, it could be caused by the amp or your music source.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,404 of 2,741
  The question is if the clicking noise is a mechanical noise from the amp or a sound noise through the headphones.

If sound, it could be caused by the amp or your music source.

It's definitely a mechanical relay click sound.  And it will also click with NO music/sound playing.  While trying to troubleshoot it, I tried turning it on with my headphones plugged in and just sitting around my neck and just leaving it on to heat itself up and it did a click after maybe 45-60 minutes.  

Thanks for confirming that it's NOT normal behavior guys.  I guess it's time to contact Schiit to get this sorted... ugh... I hate dealing with shipping cross-border for RMA purposes.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,405 of 2,741
If you just bought it last week, I would actually just return it from where you bought it. It would most likely be cheaper to buy a new one rather than pay shipping to get this one fixed. Was it HeadphoneBar where you got it from?

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #1,406 of 2,741
  If you just bought it last week, I would actually just return it from where you bought it. It would most likely be cheaper to buy a new one rather than pay shipping to get this one fixed. Was it HeadphoneBar where you got it from?

Yes, it was Headphonebar.  I think I might try returning it next week when they re-open after their holidays.  I would have bought a new unit straight up, but he said that he hasn't been able to get any Asgard 2s from the manufacturer for almost a year now.  Bifrost and Lyrs are no problem, but he just can't seem to get any Asgard 2s, which is why he was selling the demo unit, no point in having a demo if you don't have any regular stock to sell.  *sigh*  and it sounds sooo nice.  Do you know of any other Canadian dealers for Schiit gear?  The only official Canadian dealer listed on Schiit's own site is Headphonebar, every other dealer is USA or international.  

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,408 of 2,741
Headphonebar is the only one. I order directly from Schiit. Make sure you ship it with USPS and not FedEx, I've found that way I get hit way less often with border and handling fees.

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #1,409 of 2,741
My track record with repaired items hasn't been good, so now on I try to return to the vendor and just start over with a new item.

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #1,410 of 2,741
I thought so.  fenderf4i, thanks for the tip for shipping.  I thought it was FedEx Ground that was the equivalent to UPS Canada Standard in terms of being super gouged for brokerage fees.  I guess the FedEx Int'l isn't much better.  I ordered a joystick from the US during black friday for $60 USD + free shipping and it unknowingly shipped via UPS Std... UPS wanted $42 at the door... of which, only $7.20 was the actual PST+GST, the other ~$35 was their brokerage/disburstment/processing/collection fees.  

Anyway, I think I'll try to return the A2 next week and use the money to order one directly from Schiit.  I might as well add a Vali to the order too while I'm at it since it doesn't add anything to the $43.75 shipping.  It's kinda funny that the shipping is the same price for 1x Vali, or 1x Asgard2, or Vali+Asgard2.  I wanted to try out the Vali but balked at the ~$44 shipping for a $120 amp, but $44 for $370 worth of amps is more palatable.  Thanks for the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back