NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Mar 11, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #1,456 of 2,741

Sorry, I didn't see your post. 

It improves the sound when compared to what? Were you using a different preamp or another headphone amp with preamp outs? Thanks.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #1,457 of 2,741
  Sorry, I didn't see your post. 

It improves the sound when compared to what? Were you using a different preamp or another headphone amp with preamp outs? Thanks.

Compared to just the speakers plugged into my laptop...

Mind you, the DAC going into the amp is probably the reason for sound improvement... as the preamp is outputting the signal into the speakers...

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #1,458 of 2,741
Picked up an open box Dragonfly 1.2 from best buy today and have been using it with my Asgard 2.

Pretty great results!  I was using an ELE D01 ($15 from China) and it's miles ahead.  Not a fair comparison, but it's the only one I can make!

It is significantly more detailed and the sound stage is a lot more pronounced, those are the first things I've noticed.

Probably not as good as a Bifrost (which I'll have to save up for), but for $120 it's more versatile than the Modi (doesn't look as good though).

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,459 of 2,741
Anyone using the Asgard 2 in a stereo amp and speaker setup as a single source preamp and headphone amp? I've never heard either version of the Asgard.

I run the preamp on the Asgard 2 directly to the main-in on my HK 3390 receiver, bypassing the pre-amp in the receiver. Works great for me. I think it evens sounds better than using the pre-amp in the HK.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,460 of 2,741
  Anyone using the Asgard 2 in a stereo amp and speaker setup as a single source preamp and headphone amp? I've never heard either version of the Asgard.

I already own the Lyr and LOVE it with my planar magnetics (and my K701's), but my easier to drive headphones like the B&W P7's don't require that much juice and I'd like to use a well designed headphone amp w/preamp outputs as both a preamp and headphone amp in my office system (two birds, one stone kinda thing). I would "think" that a fully discrete Class A design like the Asgard 2 would work really well as a preamp to either my Parasound A23 or A21. 

Any feedback on how it preforms as a preamp (I trust that it works very well as a HP amp) would be greatly appreciated.  

The Asgard 2 works wonderfully as a preamp and as a headphone amp :)  It's the best $250 I've ever spent!

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #1,461 of 2,741
Thanks SO much for the feedback, I guess I now know what I'll be buying myself for my birthday in a week. <grin>

Has anyone seen specs anywhere for the voltage output at the preamp outs for both the high and low gain settings? I'm assuming that it would make for a preamp with a quieter background at its low gain setting...or maybe they're both noise free.

I have no problem getting full output from either Parasound amp when using my Creek OBH-22 passive (all my DAC's output right at 2V) so I'll be fine with ANY gain at all.  

I used the Lyr for a while as a preamp/HP amp, and it sounded great, very dynamic and vocals were stellar through a Parasound A21 and Magnepan 1.7's. I wish the Lyr had High/Low gain switch on the back BUT ya can't have everything. The guys at Schiit Audio are doing an incredible job producing wonderful gear at very reasonable prices.  

Thanks again!

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,462 of 2,741
  Perfect! Thanks. My hearing is crazy sensitive, so I'm always looking for volume controls that don't add a lot of gain.

I'm excited for the 3 settings on Ragnarok+speaker outs, but my upcoming roommate change will require me to go back to headphones w/occasional monitor use. A2 is my top choice right now.

Anywho, I don't mean to hijack KLJTech's question; anyone else with preamp-specific A2 feedback care to chime in?

I'm using the A2 pre-out to a Pioneer SX-880 receiver, and the gain switch does affect the volume as others have stated. I tend to use the high gain setting when using my DT880-600's, and the low setting when using the Pioneer to listen to my JBL L110 speakers.

One of my reasons for choosing the A2 was due to the fact that it had the pre-out jacks.

And since the Emotiva XDA-2 was mentioned, I'll add that I had one but returned it before the end of the 30 day trial period. It was decent, but I wasn't overwhelmed by any aspect of it. Plus it was huge. I paid $249 for it with special holiday pricing, the same as what the A2 goes for, but the A2 I feel is a much better piece in all ways.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,463 of 2,741
  The Asgard 2 works wonderfully as a preamp and as a headphone amp :)  It's the best $250 I've ever spent!

I totally agree. I have the pre-outs going to my M-Audio Studiophile 4's. I'm sure it will work equally well feeding a power amp. But, I have yet to try it.

Dave

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #1,464 of 2,741
I have an Asgard 2 amp, which drives my HD650, AKG702, DT800 (250 ohms) and A900X very nice, but I am considering to add a Hifiman HE500

Any experience/feedback anyone can share of this rig: Asgard2 + HE500?. Sorry if this was already discussed in this thread, but I couldn’t find it

Jaime

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #1,465 of 2,741
  I have an Asgard 2 amp, which drives my HD650, AKG702, DT800 (250 ohms) and A900X very nice, but I am considering to add a Hifiman HE500

Any experience/feedback anyone can share of this rig: Asgard2 + HE500?. Sorry if this was already discussed in this thread, but I couldn’t find it

Jaime

See this thread: LINK

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,467 of 2,741
I totally agree. I have the pre-outs going to my M-Audio Studiophile 4's. I'm sure it will work equally well feeding a power amp. But, I have yet to try it.

Dave

Nice dude!

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #1,468 of 2,741
Just for kicks last weekend I put my A2 in place of my preamp on my very capable (but 20+ year old) stereo system in the living room consisting of Adcom gear driving some Vandersteen 2c speakers. The A2 did an admirable job considering its cost and primary purpose as an amp. Yet the Adcom GFP-555 delivered noticeably clearer, open and realistic sound in comparison.

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #1,469 of 2,741
Has anyone tried the TH900s with their Asgard 2? If so, how did they pair together?

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #1,470 of 2,741
My new toy... second time around with these... 

They scale very nice with the beefy beast of an Asgard 2... 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back