New Sansa Clip Zip is out!
Nov 4, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #91 of 402
Actually, from the RMAA results it looks like the Zip and Clip+ have microscopically less output impedance than the original Clip. But yeah, as already said before: "night and day!" when the dip at 5kHz with the SE530 is either -0.2 or -0.3dB. :D

These are some output impedances to worry about, but not the Zip. :)

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #92 of 402
I agree, but just curious about the Zip's exact number. That's why I said "for the record", I know it's insignificant IRL.

The Zip is clearly a winner in OI. What's interesting is how it does better on the 32ohm load than the 16ohm one. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #93 of 402

So I finally got my Clip Zip, and here's my (overall positive) feedback:

The Good:
  • Hardware: The clip is visibly sturdier, even if the two side hinges could still benefit from being a little thicker.
  • Hardware: With the Clip+, I very often pressed two buttons at once, just by not pressing on the exact middle of a side of the square. No such problem with the Clip Zip!
  • Hardware: It looks better in person than on the pictures. It looks better than the Clip+.
  • Software: Much simpler and more logical basic organization.
  • Software: And more options to boot!

The Bad:
  • Hardware: After a couple of days using it, the minus side of the volume button stopped clicking. It still works, but the tactile feedback is about gone.
  • Software: Sometimes, as with the Clip+, the pause function doesn't work (no, I didn't lock the Clip): it stutters then keeps going; I have to turn it off and on again for the pause function to work again. It can be embarrassing when I try to understand something said to me.
  • Software: In the original Clip, with audiobooks, you could rewind over tracks. With the Clip+ and the Clip Zip, you can't: if you miss a passage and it happens to be over two tracks, you have to go to the tracks menu, then to the track before, and then press forward until nearly the end of the track -- which you can't do without looking.

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #94 of 402
For those that haven't seen it yet, the user interface:

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #96 of 402

Quote:
SQ wise, this or shuffle 4g?

I have both players, and they both sound very good, assuming the proper earphones are involved. However, the Zip has an adjustable EQ, more capacity and expandability, a screen, etc.(along with a Rockbox port being developed) If I had to choose one or the other, especially as my primary player, Zip hands down.

Nov 11, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #97 of 402
I just got mine today. Combined with a Best Buy certificate, a 4GB red one cost me $10. Loving the SQ. Using a set of SA6 canalphones with it and a card loaded with FLAC files. The sound is quite pleasing. Glad to know it uses the AMS SoC instead of the Fuze+ system.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #99 of 402
Dec 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #100 of 402
So I ran a battery bench over night. The music was distributed thusly....
731MB on the internal memory, 29.3GB on a class 4 SanDisk card.

Other assorted settings...ReplayGain was set to track gain if shuffling, clipping prevention enabled, pre-gain set at 4.5db, volume was at -24db, EQ was disabled, playback was set to shuffle all tracks.

Breakdown of content.....3,914 tracks, average bitrate of 228kbps, MP3 (96.3%); WMA (3.0%); AAC (0.7%).

Total runtime, 15 hours, 23 minutes, 46 seconds.
Let's see somebody get that with the stock firmware!

Dec 3, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #101 of 402
For those that has the clip+ and the zip, which one do you think is better? I like the look of clip+, and the button arrangement better so i'm thinking to just get the clip+

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #103 of 402

Quote:
For those that has the clip+ and the zip, which one do you think is better? I like the look of clip+, and the button arrangement better so i'm thinking to just get the clip+

I like the looks of the Clip+ more too... much more, actually. It also feels somewhat more solidly built. However, the color screen of the Zip is a solid argument (even if it's low quality), and when I pick a player, it is the Zip at the moment. I'm just a sucker for album art. The other two advantages of the Zip don't matter to me at all, AAC and RDS support. I use Rockbox anyways and never listen to radio.

Looks (subjectively): Clip+ > Clip > Zip
Build quality (objectively): Clip > Clip+ > Zip

YMMV.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #104 of 402

Quote:
I just hope they've fixed the faulty headphone jack. Seriously, it's ridiculous. I am on my second Clip+ and already experiencing channel drop out and distortion at times. If I don't move it's fine.

Never had any issue with the headphone jack, on 2 original Clips, 2 Clip+, and now a Zip. On the other hand, for the first time ever, I broke a clip on one the other day when someone bumped into me.....and that was on a 2 year old Clip+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back