New Sansa Clip Zip is out!
Sep 2, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #61 of 402
Better battery life for one.

Better UI but the one on the Clip+ isn't too bad. Rockbox is better though.

Also I wanted a stronger clip. 

I'm not sure though honestly. The Clip+ was a pretty great little player.

Sep 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #63 of 402
I just got mine today - and so far I'm enjoying it immensely. I put a 32gb (filled to the almost MAX!!!) micro SD card in it and the data refresh is taking over 10min so far. I did insert the card while the player was on, so I think that makes a bit of a difference perhaps. Eh, I'm restarting the CZ and letting it redo the DB refresh - looks like it got a bit hung up I'm afraid,...

SQ wise, I've only tried the player w/the preloaded tracks, so I'm still wanting a more personal test. But, I will say, I absolutely LOVED the SQ. I was actually surprised how good my Sony MDR-V900HD's sounded, and they are darn hard to make sound good IMO. This is straight out the HP jack, no amping. 

I also love how I can remove unused menu items from the home screen - "Books" & "Voice" are quite unnecessary for my usage. 

Overall a nice little update IMO. 

Now, if the fuze+ had only had tactile controls like this, I think we might all be singing it's praises as well,...hopefully next time, perhaps?!?!?!

PS: Does it sound slightly louder than the clip+? Or, as I'm thinking, is it placebo?

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #64 of 402
I'm running an Ogg Vorbis battery life test right now.
I haven't done any back-to-back comparisons since I upgraded the firmware, but with the other one, I am almost positive that they finally eliminated the slight pitch error that was still present in the Clip+ if it is running the Sansa firmware (of course, Rockbox eliminates that on the Clip+). Hopefully the new firmware doesn't change that.
L3000.gif

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #65 of 402
This sounds promising. What are the advantages of Sony A or S series players over the Sansas, if any? (and vice versa)

Do the Sansas do gapless, or on-the-fly playlists?

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #68 of 402
Cool. Might get this to replace the old Clip+ my gf uses.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #70 of 402
It's buggy as hell. Several times it randomly rebooted when I pressed an unlikely combination of buttons (play, then immediately back). It crashes with some types of AAC files. Large resolution or large filesize covers aren't read at all.

The screen is mediocre, trading color for the brightness and contrast of the two-tone OLED.

I think I might just loan this one out and stick to the Clip and Clip+.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #72 of 402
 There are some issues with AAC compatibility, it seems....it didn't seem happy with Nero AAC encoded files when I tried to run a battery life test.....froze up during the database refresh. Since updating the firmware, and reloading just high bitrate LAME mp3, mine has been solid though.

Also,  the album art is supported up to 100kb filesize....beyond that will not display, and some are speculating that the bigger art files are causing the hiccups some people are experiencing.(only just so much room for RAM in the little thing,maybe?

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #73 of 402

Quote:

Also,  the album art is supported up to 100kb filesize....beyond that will not display, and some are speculating that the bigger art files are causing the hiccups some people are experiencing.(only just so much room for RAM in the little thing,maybe?

Thanks...Anything over 100kb will not display.  I have my single tracks embedded mostly 600 x 600 and upon looking at the size a couple were over the 100kb size and did not display.  Quick fix took care of it and all is well with album art.  In reference to AAC, I can't advise, since I don't use.  All ogg and flac files play perfect though...

Thanks achmed...

Cheers

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #74 of 402

Quote:
I have had mine freeze up several times.  And it takes quite a while to get it to turn off.  Perhaps a firmware update will get this resolved. 

The Zip really needs a hard reset button combination, like the iPods have (or had). Maybe there is a way to reboot the device when it freezes like that, but it's undocumented. Anyway, waiting ten to twelve hours on a frozen screen is unacceptable.

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #75 of 402

Quote:
The Zip really needs a hard reset button combination, like the iPods have (or had). Maybe there is a way to reboot the device when it freezes like that, but it's undocumented. Anyway, waiting ten to twelve hours on a frozen screen is unacceptable.

There is.....hold the power button. It should turn itself off within a minute or so, and after that restart normally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back