***NEW*** RHA (Reid Heath Acoustics) T10i IEM to debut at IFA 2014
Aug 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #31 of 258
  This thing looks really good; while I can't say it's doing any one thing in a revolutionary way, the way RHA has put so many things people want in a product together into one tight, great-looking package that hits a very good price point is remarkable. The product manager for the T10i needs a raise!

(1) The ear guides look semi-soft and pliable, which would be ideal for memory wire applications IMHO; the ones that use metal wire are too stiff (as well as the big bulky one on the Nuforce Primo 8), while the Sony ones on the XBA-H series border on being too soft (in addition to being too thick). Of course, we'd have to use it to really know, but this one seems to hit the spot.

(2) The molds seem ready for the future; if they want to take the gamble and go with removable cables, they can probably easily retrofit them with removable cables (likely some enterprising fellow from HK, China, or Japan will go ahead and do it anyway). The shape looks different from other IEMs, but seems to be properly derived from ergonomic research. I like the lightly brushed, slightly unfinished look, but I'm sure they can polish that up into a mirror-finished (or whatever) limited edition easily. I've seen lots of MIM-casted IEMs made with Nickel alloy, but not Stainless Steel, so this is new, and it shows that RHA pays attention to process engineering integrating with industrial design, like does Apple Inc. and other successful companies.

(3) I'd privately predicted they might go with interchangeable filters, which are either found in ultra-expensive models (SE846, K3003) or cheap, ugly, mediocre-sounding ones (they look so bad, the model names escape me), so putting this feature in at this sub-$200 (sub-£150) price point is great. However, I can't tell whether those filters are made from plastic or SS, as the photographer chose a very soft lighting technique that minimizes specular highlights.

(4) I'm not sure why they chose to go with the additional red/blue markings when the housings themselves have "R" and "L" so clearly marked. It seems a little extraneous and doesn't quite fit with the overall grey-cast aesthetic. People who actually know that red stands for "right" and blue stands for "left" probably also know how to tell which side is which on an over-ear design by looking at the chiral shape of the housings themselves (or just verify with the L/R markings). If they used the raised dot convention (I believe it's a dot for the left side and no dot for the right), it'd at least be more useful for people who want to put them on in the dark.

Overall, bravo! Even without listening to a single note, I can tell this is a well thought-out product, and it should do well. Looking forward to hearing much more about it.

Thanks for all the feedback tomscy2000! We're very proud of the product and and the features we've managed to include at the price point. We've responded to a few bits below!

1. On the ear hooks - it's actually a patented system that uses a zero elastic spring, making it highly durable and highly mouldable. They're very comfortable.
2. Using stainless steel was very important in this product, we really wanted to maintain the build quality and durability levels we'd established with the MA750i and it's a fantastic metal to work with when developing housings and drivers to partner them.
3. I can confirm that the filters are stainless steel, the same as the housings.

Thanks again!

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #33 of 258
  Thanks for all the feedback tomscy2000! We're very proud of the product and and the features we've managed to include at the price point. We've responded to a few bits below!

1. On the ear hooks - it's actually a patented system that uses a zero elastic spring, making it highly durable and highly mouldable. They're very comfortable.
2. Using stainless steel was very important in this product, we really wanted to maintain the build quality and durability levels we'd established with the MA750i and it's a fantastic metal to work with when developing housings and drivers to partner them.
3. I can confirm that the filters are stainless steel, the same as the housings.

Thanks again!

Thanks for filling in the bits and pieces!

That's great to hear that the filters are also made from SS. Using a different material would've likely cheapened the look/feel of the product. I've always liked stainless steel; one of my favorite "cult" earphones is the Final Audio FI-BA-SS, which was constructed with spun-cast stainless steel. It seems like a nice material that minimizes unwanted housing resonances.

Regardless of what it sounds like, It looks like RHA has essentially hit the nail on its head with respect to features and pricing. If it can offer up an accurate response, the T10i should be a hit.

Aug 28, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #34 of 258
  The announcement is out!  http://www.head-fi.org/t/732332/introducing-the-t10i-an-all-new-iem-from-rha 
smile.gif

Now these look really exciting! Based on how much I love my MA750i's I expect I'll be right at the front of the line to snag a pair of these when they come out.

(4) I'm not sure why they chose to go with the additional red/blue markings when the housings themselves have "R" and "L" so clearly marked. It seems a little extraneous and doesn't quite fit with the overall grey-cast aesthetic. People who actually know that red stands for "right" and blue stands for "left" probably also know how to tell which side is which on an over-ear design by looking at the chiral shape of the housings themselves (or just verify with the L/R markings). If they used the raised dot convention (I believe it's a dot for the left side and no dot for the right), it'd at least be more useful for people who want to put them on in the dark.

Personally I really like the red/blue markings, it makes it quite a bit easier for older guys whose eyesight isn't quite what it used to be. :wink:

Aug 28, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #35 of 258
  This thing looks really good; while I can't say it's doing any one thing in a revolutionary way, the way RHA has put so many things people want in a product together into one tight, great-looking package that hits a very good price point is remarkable. The product manager for the T10i needs a raise!

(1) The ear guides look semi-soft and pliable, which would be ideal for memory wire applications IMHO; the ones that use metal wire are too stiff (as well as the big bulky one on the Nuforce Primo 8), while the Sony ones on the XBA-H series border on being too soft (in addition to being too thick). Of course, we'd have to use it to really know, but this one seems to hit the spot.

(2) The molds seem ready for the future; if they want to take the gamble and go with removable cables, they can probably easily retrofit them with removable cables (likely some enterprising fellow from HK, China, or Japan will go ahead and do it anyway). The shape looks different from other IEMs, but seems to be properly derived from ergonomic research. I like the lightly brushed, slightly unfinished look, but I'm sure they can polish that up into a mirror-finished (or whatever) limited edition easily. I've seen lots of MIM-casted IEMs made with Nickel alloy, but not Stainless Steel, so this is new, and it shows that RHA pays attention to process engineering integrating with industrial design, like does Apple Inc. and other successful companies.

(3) I'd privately predicted they might go with interchangeable filters, which are either found in ultra-expensive models (SE846, K3003) or cheap, ugly, mediocre-sounding ones (they look so bad, the model names escape me), so putting this feature in at this sub-$200 (sub-£150) price point is great. However, I can't tell whether those filters are made from plastic or SS, as the photographer chose a very soft lighting technique that minimizes specular highlights.

Overall, bravo! Even without listening to a single note, I can tell this is a well thought-out product, and it should do well. Looking forward to hearing much more about it.

Not sub-$200, mate: more like $250 USD. There goes my wallet again...........

One thing I wanted to ask from the R&D guys: what made them want to change from the trumpet-design to the current design now?

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #37 of 258
Oh thank God I'm wrong! Now take my money!

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #39 of 258
  Personally I really like the red/blue markings, it makes it quite a bit easier for older guys whose eyesight isn't quite what it used to be. :wink:

That's a good point, but again, you know what red/blue stand for, most don't. The people that don't will identify more with "L" and "R", and the L/R markings look pretty large on the T10i, as opposed to the way they're marked on other brands' models.

At the end of the day, a company like RHA will likely make a decision based on market research, and unfortunately, if I were a betting man, I'd say people with presbyopia won't be regarded as importantly as the ones that stress aesthetic presentation. However, they made the choice to go with the red/blue markings, so you're in luck.

There is a trend to go with color-coded cables, such as the addition of a red ring to the right side of the Logitech UE900S' cable. My belief is that color coding removable cables is a good idea, because it's easier to differentiate between left and right when the two cable legs look exactly the same. There's less real estate to print a large "L" or "R" on those overmolds.

For the case of the T10i, because the cables are not removable, there's one less variable to contend with (i.e. accidentally plugging the left side cable into the right housing, and vice versa), and thus the only thing to consider is whether or not left and right are easy to distinguish from one another. If you're a veteran IEM user, then regardless of whether or not there are even left/right markings, knowing which side is which is not an issue when it comes to over-ear designs. Over-ear designs have a clear "handedness" to them, much like chiral organic molecules. With muscle memory and general shape recognition, it's very simple to distinguish which side is which, even via blindfolded tactile response. That's the main reasoning why I thought the "L" and "R" markings were "enough".

Non-over-ear designs are much more difficult to distinguish between left and right by shape because they're almost always made in the shape of a radially symmetrical barrel, and thus need additional visual/tactile cues to help users distinguish left from right.

It's clear that RHA's choice was to give users a redundant visual cue for distinguishing left from right, just like how roads have both a big red, octagonal STOP sign as well as a painted STOP on the road.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #42 of 258
Very cerebral response. Color coding can be a bit more universal, though, and don't require everyone to use the same alphabet. That said, not sure exactly how universal red = right is...

mostly it is . you can see colors easily even under low light conditions , but its harder with small letters .

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #45 of 258
  mostly it is . you can see colors easily even under low light conditions , but its harder with small letters .

You do realize that argument goes against science, right? Your color vision is significantly diminished under low light. It's more that your eyes are more sensitive to red than blue under low light, so you can detect changes in luminosity on the red side than the blue side. It would be a more compelling point if the color-coded strain reliefs were larger and reflective, such as reflective tabs on backpacks and bags for bicycling use.

Anyway, I don't want to make this a big deal; it's not that big an issue. I merely wanted to highlight how companies choose to include or leave out certain features according to market research, aesthetic design considerations, ergonomic considerations, and budget.

Bumps, the best and most recommended,than colors......have light or its dark,no matter.

That's what I mentioned originally. A tactile response reinforces the visual cue of letters. Colors would also reinforce letters as well, as the Stroop Effect helps couple the association between "red" and "right".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back