New RHA IEMs: The MA750i and MA600i
Nov 27, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #316 of 542
  A question for everyone: I received the RHA MA750is from Amazon.com (US site) last week. The cable cinch is really hard to operate because of how sticky/tight it is, and today, when I was trying to adjust it, the left part of the cable snapped. Needless to say, I'm left with a dead pair. I've already contacted RHA support, but can anyone tell me how their customer support is? And how exactly do I return/exchange the product?

They also asked me for a receipt number, but since I bought the pair from Amazon, I don't exactly have a receipt number (and since I rarely buy anything online, I'm not entirely used to dealing with such things). I listed all alphanumerical series of digits on my packing slip, plus the order number. Just to clarify, though, which set of digits is the receipt number? Thanks!

Exactly where did the cable break? 
I would expect more out of a kevlar reinforced cable with this thickness out of a week use. I guess a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #318 of 542
Hi Pieman3141,

We're very sorry and surprised to hear that you've experienced a fault with your cable, this is very unusual and concerning. Your headphones are covered by our comprehensive three year warranty so our Customer Care team will be able to arrange a repair or replacement. Your receipt number, or Amazon Order ID, is a 16 digit number that appears in this format; 000-0000000-0000000.

We aim to respond within 24 hours, so we'll be in touch soon. If you could please provide a much detail as possible and ideally an image, we'll be keen to gather information on this case.

Our apologies.

Thanks,
RHA Team

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #319 of 542
Hello RHA! I've already contacted RHA support with the order number, and I've already received one e-mail back asking for a photo. As I told the person from support, I do not have a working camera at the moment, and the damage is invisible. Let me explain:

The issue is where the cable splits into two ( Y  <--). I was trying to adjust the cinch, and might've tugged on the cable a bit too hard (by the way, the cinch is very difficult to use, but necessary to prevent the heavy remote/mic from flopping around). I felt something snap, and when I looked, the the part where the left cable comes out of the metal splitter was thinner than the right side. After investigating further, it turns out that the internal wire was detached from the splitter, but the outer sheath was still attached. Which means that basically, I can't show any damage through pictures.

Does this help? I've also explained this to RHA support, and I'm waiting for another e-mail.

And in case people are wondering:

The sound has been amazingly nice, by the way. Fairly neutral, with a bit of a shift to the warm side. The highs aren't screechy at all (a bit overly rounded, IMO), the mids are fantastic and accurate. The bass is where the warmth shows up the most. My previous favourites, the JVC HA-FXT90 had a quicker bass and higher treble than this pair, so I'm still adjusting. The detail on the MA750i has been outstanding, and the soundstage is wider than most IEMs I've used. The build quality is fantastic too (and the metal is quite nice to look at), and the eartips are very secure (and this is a huge plus, because you would not believe how easy eartips come off on some IEMs).

There are some issues, however. The sheathing for the cable is quite sticky, and the cinch is very tight. This may have contributed to the issue I have. The cable also sticks to my clothes easily, and this can cause tugging. The eartips don't quite fit me, but I've found that the smallest single-flange size works best for me so far. If anyone has tried other tips, let me know! And finally, the wrap around wire occasionally hurts sometimes. I'm still getting used to these, so that final problem may go away. Also, I don't like how the cable is packaged. I feel that there is potential for damage if someone isn't too careful with unwrapping the cable from the.... plastic ... thing - I have no idea what it's called. I've seen elsewhere that the plastic holder thing can cut through the sheathing if someone isn't too careful.

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #320 of 542
  Hello RHA! I've already contacted RHA support with the order number, and I've already received one e-mail back asking for a photo. As I told the person from support, I do not have a working camera at the moment, and the damage is invisible. Let me explain:

The issue is where the cable splits into two ( Y  <--). I was trying to adjust the cinch, and might've tugged on the cable a bit too hard (by the way, the cinch is very difficult to use, but necessary to prevent the heavy remote/mic from flopping around). I felt something snap, and when I looked, the the part where the left cable comes out of the metal splitter was thinner than the right side. After investigating further, it turns out that the internal wire was detached from the splitter, but the outer sheath was still attached. Which means that basically, I can't show any damage through pictures.

Does this help? I've also explained this to RHA support, and I'm waiting for another e-mail.

And in case people are wondering:

The sound has been amazingly nice, by the way. Fairly neutral, with a bit of a shift to the warm side. The highs aren't screechy at all (a bit overly rounded, IMO), the mids are fantastic and accurate. The bass is where the warmth shows up the most. My previous favourites, the JVC HA-FXT90 had a quicker bass and higher treble than this pair, so I'm still adjusting. The detail on the MA750i has been outstanding, and the soundstage is wider than most IEMs I've used. The build quality is fantastic too (and the metal is quite nice to look at), and the eartips are very secure (and this is a huge plus, because you would not believe how easy eartips come off on some IEMs).

There are some issues, however. The sheathing for the cable is quite sticky, and the cinch is very tight. This may have contributed to the issue I have. The cable also sticks to my clothes easily, and this can cause tugging. The eartips don't quite fit me, but I've found that the smallest single-flange size works best for me so far. If anyone has tried other tips, let me know! And finally, the wrap around wire occasionally hurts sometimes. I'm still getting used to these, so that final problem may go away. Also, I don't like how the cable is packaged. I feel that there is potential for damage if someone isn't too careful with unwrapping the cable from the.... plastic ... thing - I have no idea what it's called. I've seen elsewhere that the plastic holder thing can cut through the sheathing if someone isn't too careful.

This is one of my biggest non-sound quality issues with these phones.  

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #321 of 542
Oh! And before I forget: I actually prefer a L-connector than the straight one. An L-connecter fits into jeans and jackets (where I usually store my iPhone) far better than a straight one. This is a very minor quibble though, as the spring does a really good job.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #322 of 542
  My Review is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/rha-ma750i-noise-isolating-premium-in-ear-headphone/reviews/9969

Thanks again RHA Team I had a lot of fun. I really hope MA750 sells well for you because you guys truly deserve it. You put in a great effort and what we see here on Head-fi for that price often doesn't come anywhere near the value, build and SQ of your MA750.

beerchug.gif

Excellent review, thank you!

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #326 of 542
The mic works, and IIRC the play/pause buttons works as a call answer button.  But I don't think the up and down buttons do a thing... pretty much like every other iDevice remote.

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #327 of 542
thanks for the reply. how about the forward/back  for music. I checked with RHA customer care if the are going to release a android version. -ve there. The 10$ difference is hard to ignore, hence the validation from my end. 

Thanks.

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #328 of 542
You know, now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind an Android version.  Since both my phone and tablet run Android, this would kinda help me.

How about it people, anyone else out there want to see an MA750a? 
smile.gif

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #329 of 542
Android is something RHA has looked at in the past, however it's not straightforward. Due to the universal standards in both software and hardware for Apple devices, we're able to build headphones with remote/mic units that will work with any product in the Apple range. 

Due to Android being open-source, manufacturers can not only build entirely unique hardware, they can also customise Android as much as they want (as seen in 'skins' such as HTC's Sense, Samsung's Touchwiz etc). There is no uniformity in either hardware or software for Android devices, meaning that unfortunately blanket native support is impossible.

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #330 of 542
It may not be 100% uniform, but I have several Android-compatible pairs of earphones and they all work perfectly with my S3 mini (and even the Galaxy Ace I had before that). I'm not sure I've ever heard of Android users having trouble with an Android remote on this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back