New releases from Meelec: HT-21 Portables, CC51 Ceramic IEMs, A151 Armatures
Dec 14, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #46 of 89

Quote:
Wow, I spend one day away from Head-Fi and Meelec throws out... 5 new earphones? The armature looks great. I've heard the CC51 ceramics and think they are tuned towards the consumer end of the audio spectrum. Hopefully the A151 will be tuned for Head-Fiers 
wink.gif
. I've heard prototypes of the CX21 and CW31 and unless they've been re-tuned the CX21 should become a real community favorite in bang/buck. No idea what the RX11 and SP51 are without photos. I'll add all the info to the OP tomorrow.

Have they improved the quality of the silicone tips in this latest generation? I picked up a couple m6p and m9p to give away as early x-mas gifts, and each set had at least 1-2 tips that were damaged or had irregularities in shape. Also, the tips themselves are made of a very thin silicone compared to say, Sony hybrids. Granted, this doesn't really effect the usability, but I can imagine one would need to buy new tips sooner rather than later.

The tips were the only disappointment I've had with these otherwise great budget IEMs.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #47 of 89

Quote:
Wow, I spend one day away from Head-Fi and Meelec throws out... 5 new earphones? The armature looks great. I've heard the CC51 ceramics and think they are tuned towards the consumer end of the audio spectrum. Hopefully the A151 will be tuned for Head-Fiers 
wink.gif
. I've heard prototypes of the CX21 and CW31 and unless they've been re-tuned the CX21 should become a real community favorite in bang/buck. No idea what the RX11 and SP51 are without photos. I'll add all the info to the OP tomorrow.

here are pictures of the rx11 and sp51. I wasn't able to save the pictures while they were still up on the website but after looking through my entire cache I found them.

rx11:

sp51:

I also found pictures of other stuff that they are releasing such as the updated m series but I wont post that unless you guys really want me to because meelec has been really nice to me and I don't want to ruin it for them.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #49 of 89

Quote:
lol now they're releasing a hipoo vb clone. 

Yeah, I was totally about to come in here and disagree with you (respectfully of course!) upon seeing the last post blurb on the forum page but now that I see the picture...yeah, that seems to be exactly what it is.

Still, I'd very much like to listen to these. Should sound pretty good, at least.

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #51 of 89
Quote:
Have they improved the quality of the silicone tips in this latest generation? I picked up a couple m6p and m9p to give away as early x-mas gifts, and each set had at least 1-2 tips that were damaged or had irregularities in shape. Also, the tips themselves are made of a very thin silicone compared to say, Sony hybrids. Granted, this doesn't really effect the usability, but I can imagine one would need to buy new tips sooner rather than later.  
The tips were the only disappointment I've had with these otherwise great budget IEMs.
I've never had an issue with the Meelec tips aside from a pair missing from my very first M6, which they were quick to replace. If you get defective tips just email them - they're very good with fixing such things. I think the clear tips are a little thicker than the black ones so if thin tips are an issue you probably want a pair with clear tips. Gray tips such as the M9 balanced bi-flange are thicker still but I don't know what else they are included with.

Quote:
here are pictures of the rx11 and sp51. I wasn't able to save the pictures while they were still up on the website but after looking through my entire cache I found them.

rx11:

sp51:

Thanks, definitely haven't seen those before. The SP51 looks a lot like the Hippo VB.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #53 of 89

Quote:
I wonder if sp51s are using the mylar 10mm driver as the driver they're using themselves is said to be 10mm. 

Apparently the driver is different from the one used in the VB (according to MEE). Same goes for the CC51 - same shells as the Nakamichi ceramics but different internals.

Dec 14, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #55 of 89

Quote:
So with some snooping around their site's product index

http://www.meelec.com//pindex.asp

I found these:

Are these old earphones? or part of the new line?

m16

(no pic)

m21

m31

yup those are the new line. how did you manage to save photos? I was able to save photos of everything in their new line including the m16 but they just took off all the photos.

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #56 of 89

Quote:
I've never heard the HD218 but I think the HT-21 is about on-par with the HD228 in terms of sound-quality. It does isolate more and seems to be built a little better so I'd pick the Meelec set any day. The HT-21s are bass-heavy phones but overall balance is still good. Plus they don't clamp very hard so a bit of the bass is lost (same story with HD228 actually). I think their strongest selling point is the soundstage which is quite decent for a close and generally aggressive-sounding portable. I've only compared them directly to the ATH-FC700 so far and they make the Audio-Technicas sound muddy and congested. I've got some more serious comparisons lined up against things like the AKG K430 and dbLogic SPL2. Hoping to have the full review added to my review thread next Monday.

Wow Thanks Joker.  I was debating whether it is worth a pre-order since I already own a FC700 and SQ5 and now I am more comfortable in giving it a try.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #57 of 89

Quote:
Wow Thanks Joker.  I was debating whether it is worth a pre-order since I already own a FC700 and SQ5 and now I am more comfortable in giving it a try.

Well the FC700 is crap IMHO but the SQ5 is just a bit more refined than the HT-21 to my ears. They are similar in balance but the HT-21 is more aggressive so it seems to have more bass and a more forward midrange than the SQ5. The HT-21 has really balanced itself out with burn-in. It is now bass-heavy only out of a weak source such as my phone. With a powerful player like the J3 the treble really steps up which is weird because bass is usually what goes away with lack of power, not treble.

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #60 of 89

Quote:
Posted HT-21 review here.

Added all the pictures of the new sets to the OP. Big thanks to everyone for the detective work!

great review joker!!! What would you recommend for me to recommend to friends looking for headphones around $50: these, sony xb500, creative aurvana live or the jvc rx700? They usually listen to lots of hip-hop, pop, and rock and of course they like the average consumer sound sig with tons of bass.

since no one else has a pic of the m16 and it has pretty much been revealed, heres a pic:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back