New releases from Meelec: HT-21 Portables, CC51 Ceramic IEMs, A151 Armatures
Nov 16, 2010 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
Caught two press releases from Meelec today - one for the new HT-21 portable headphones and one for the CC51 Ceramic IEMs. Both look quite nice and the prices are very promising.

Edit: 3rd press release details the new A151 Single Balanced Armature IEMs. 

HT-21 Portable Headphones

Press release for the HT-21: Link
Product Page: http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_HT_21_Portable_Headphone_p/hp-ht21-bk.htm

Edit: HT-21 review is now posted here

CC51 Ceramic IEM

Press release for the CC51: Link
Product Page: http://www.meelec.com/Clarity_Series_CC_51_Ceramic_In_Ear_Headphone_p/ep-cc51-mee.htm

Relevant bit:

Quote:
MEElectronics, manufacturer of award winning earphones and accessories, has announced the release of the CC51 earphone, also known as in-ear headphone, that features a ceramic housing for resonance-free reproduction of sound resulting in less distortion and improved accuracy.

The CC51 uses a new 6.0mm micro-driver that delivers full, accurate, detailed sound and, when housed in the ceramic housing, eliminates resonance that might cause distortion-inducing harmonics. Due to the driver being located very close to the ear, driver size does not limit reproduction of full range sound.

”Ceramic is an extremely hard, durable material that does not resonate like other housings, resulting in a very clean, clear, ear-pleasing sound signature, while looking fantastic and holding up extremely well to wear and tear,” said Joe Daileda, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for MEElectronics. “Ceramic is not usually practical for larger enclosures, but for in-ear headphones it works very, very well. We think this product offers a new, unique style, great sound, and is an excellent value in today’s budget-conscious world.”

The CC51, which will retail for $79.99, comes in black or white.

A151 Single Balanced Armature IEM

Press release for the A151: Link
Product Page: http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_A151_Balanced_Armature_In_Ear_Headph_p/ep-a151-bk-mee.htm

Relevant bit:

Quote:
Dec 13, 2010 – BA in-ear headphones are highly regarded among discerning listeners and audiophiles for their accuracy and detail level. MEElectronics’ first balanced armature offering, the A151, brings the BA sound signature to the MEE lineup in a stylish housing, perfect for everyone from business travelers to students. Designed to be worn over-the-ear, the A151 is comfortable to wear, stays in place securely, and uses a twisted cable that is very flexible, further enhancing the user experience.

“We are excited to be able to deliver balanced armature technology to our customers, offering the MEE flavor of sound together with the accurate, extremely detailed sound BAs are known for,” said Joe Daileda, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for MEElectronics. “As is always the case with MEE, the A151 offers great sound in an affordable price range with a distinct, classy style that we believe will be widely accepted.”

The A151 will be available late Q1 2011 for $74.99. Accessories include a protective case and 5 sets of ear tips.

Other models, as of yet unannounced:

MEElectronics Clarity Series CX21 In-Ear Headphones

MEElectronics Clarity Series CW31 Wooden In-Ear Headphones 

MEElectronics Rhythm Series RX11 In-Ear Headphones

MEElectronics SP51 Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound Tuning

Original M Series M16 In Ear Headphone

Original M Series M21 In-Ear Headphone

Original M Series M31 In-Ear Headphone

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 89
I would try a MEE portable!

Not quite sure how close since I am not looking it up ATM but the ceramics bring to mind the Nakamichi ones.

Nov 16, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 89
These look interesting, PortaPro/PX100 competitor 
happy_face1.gif

And high(er)(ish) end IEMs from Meelec? I shall wait for reviews upon these.

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 89

Quote:
The HT21 doesn't look very foldable based on the picture, I wonder how the folding mechanics works.

Something like this:

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 89

Quote:
Both of these look interesting.  I presume you'll be reviewing both at some point? 
biggrin.gif

I wonder what the inspiration for the ceramic housing was... HJE-900 perhaps?

Actually Meelec's offices are only a couple of zip codes away from where I live and I've had a chance to hear the sets briefly but hopefully will get them for a proper review closer to release. The CC51 is not the first ceramic on the market though the motivation behind using the material is low resonance, just like the motivation behind the CZ used in the HJE900s.

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 89
Yep, CC51 seems to share the same kind of housing as Nakamichi NEP-XT1, though XT1 is $50+ more expensive.

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #13 of 89

Quote:
ljokerl said:
Actually Meelec's offices are only a couple of zip codes away from where I live and I've had a chance to hear the sets briefly but hopefully will get them for a proper review closer to release. The CC51 is not the first ceramic on the market though the motivation behind using the material is low resonance, just like the motivation behind the CZ used in the HJE900s.

Yeah, I figured the concept was the same for both but I didn't know there were other ceramic phones on the market.  I used to play roller hockey and bought some ceramic skate bearings and they were crazy expensive at the time (probably still are), so I'm somewhat familiar with the material.  I'll probably end up buying the CC51 just out of curiosity as I love my M6's and my HJE900's.   

Can't wait for your reviews.  

BTW- how come when I quote a post that quoted another post, the default to quote the whole conversation? That's pretty annoying imo, up there with unnecessary quoting of pics.  

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #14 of 89
Joker, where is the Meelec office? Their phone number has the 909 area code, so they might not be that far away from where I live.

I might be able to do some reviews and impressions on the Meelec products for other HFers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #15 of 89

Quote:
The ceramic ones look very impressive. ljokerl, you're very fortunate to live near the Meelec HQ :) If it were me, I would spend all day there :D

Ha, it's still a bit of a drive but Meelec was nice enough to mail me the sets for a bit - luckily almost any mail is overnight mail within my county.

Quote:
Yeah, I figured the concept was the same for both but I didn't know there were other ceramic phones on the market.  I used to play roller hockey and bought some ceramic skate bearings and they were crazy expensive at the time (probably still are), so I'm somewhat familiar with the material.  I'll probably end up buying the CC51 just out of curiosity as I love my M6's and my HJE900's.   

Can't wait for your reviews.  

BTW- how come when I quote a post that quoted another post, the default to quote the whole conversation? That's pretty annoying imo, up there with unnecessary quoting of pics.  

The CC is definitely a bit of a sonic departure for Meelec being a more consumer-friendly sound than the light-on-mids, heavy-on-treble M9/M6. It's an interesting earphone and one that should compete fairly well at the higher price. Based on what I heard out of it, it should be a lot less polarizing than MEE's other models.

The multi-tier quoting is a new feature and it's actually pretty annoying. I'm not sure why they changed it.

Quote:
Joker, where is the Meelec office? Their phone number has the 909 area code, so they might not be that far away from where I live.

I might be able to do some reviews and impressions on the Meelec products for other HFers.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's in the Walnut/West Covina area. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back