New releases from Meelec: HT-21 Portables, CC51 Ceramic IEMs, A151 Armatures
Jan 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #76 of 89
All these damn new models from Meelectronics is confusing. I hope they drop some older ones so it isn't just a shopping list worth of models on their website.

Anyway I hope some of their new models continue to be a good bang for the buck like some of their previous models while providing good amount of accessories and excellent customer service.

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #77 of 89
Meelec does feel like the second hippo, they're just trying too hard to be everything for everyone.

Personally, I think they should just keep the m6 and m9 for entry-fi, and focus on building more sub-100 contenders.

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #78 of 89
Take out the M11, replace with the SP51. I agree, don't try something new if something is already working for you. I think that they are hoping that the new earphones will catch a rave and be bought as often as the M6/M9. It is now worse for people hoping for a great IEM in the MEE grab bag, now it is filled with more low IEM's I would assume.

Quote:
Meelec does feel like the second hippo, they're just trying too hard to be everything for everyone.

Personally, I think they should just keep the m6 and m9 for entry-fi, and focus on building more sub-100 contenders.

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #79 of 89

Quote:
Take out the M11, replace with the SP51. I agree, don't try something new if something is already working for you. I think that they are hoping that the new earphones will catch a rave and be bought as often as the M6/M9. It is now worse for people hoping for a great IEM in the MEE grab bag, now it is filled with more low IEM's I would assume.

I think such judgments should be reserved until after we have some impressions of what all of the new ones sound like. While the M9 and M6 are good, I think we can all agree that they aren't perfect. Also, while unnecessary proliferation is one thing, trying to hang on to past laurels usually doesn't work out so well. Look at Maximo - a year and a half ago they were very popular and the iM-590 was considered one of the best <$60 all-rounders. However, their line hasn't really been updated all this time and they've all but dropped off the radar around here. 

I think Mee did a good job with separating the new models out into different ranges. The M-line and Rhythm series probably won't be particularly popular around head-fi but the 'Clarity'-series models are quite good. From the ones I've spent time with, I actually prefer the M21, CW31, and CX21 (along with the A151 and CC51) to the M11+ so I don't think the grab bag will be any riskier in the future than it was in the past.

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #80 of 89
Thanks for the info Joker, will be looking forward to your detailed reviews on their models. And I'll also be hoping to pick up at least the CC51's and A151's given that you've already recommended them :)
I can say I'm really looking forward to this new lineup of theirs especially after enjoying my HT-21's.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #81 of 89
The A151 is pricy for a Meelec phone but it's a good listen, competing wll with the SM PL50 and UE SuperFi5. The cable is an absolute joy to use - I know this won't happen but I wish Mee would just use that cable on all of their earphones instead of the old clear one.

Joker, a question about the A151 cable, are they similar to the coated braid style of the brainwavz cable? Or are they more like the braided cable from westone?

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #82 of 89
Just got the MEE newsletter with the release dates and pricing for all of the new models. Will add it to the OP when I have time.

Model MSRP Pre-sale Est. arrival date
A151 $74.99 Jan 14th Jan 21st
CW31/CW31P $49.99/$54.99 Jan 21st Jan 28th
CX21/CX21P $39.99/$44.99 Jan 21st Jan 28th
CC51/CC51P $79.99/$89.99 Jan 28th Feb 4th
SP51/SP51P $59.99/$69.99 Jan 28th Feb 4th
M31/M31P $44.99/$49.99 Feb 4th Feb 11th
M21/M21P $34.99/$39.99 Feb 4th Feb 11th
M16/M16P $24.99/$29.99 Feb 4th Feb 11th
RX11 $24.99 Feb 11th Feb 18th

Quote:
Joker, a question about the A151 cable, are they similar to the coated braid style of the brainwavz cable? Or are they more like the braided cable from westone?

Definitely more like Westone but a bit softer and more flexible

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #83 of 89

Quote:
Quote:
I gotta admit, those comments about the A151 are a little disappointing.  I was hoping they'd be quite a bit better than the PL50.  I hope you'll put up a detailed review when you get a chance.  Thanks!

Well this is coming from someone who actually likes the PL50s and by 'competes well with' I meant 'a little bit better than'. I think the biggest issue I had with the PL50 was the relative lack of air to the presentation and the A151 performs better in that regard.

Gotcha.  But based on Meelectronics' price to performance ratio - and the price of these being 50% higher than the PL50, I was hoping they'd be more competitive with the ER4 than the Soundmagic's.  But I guess I should reserve judgement until the full review comes out.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #84 of 89
Sure hope a151 beat out the PL50. Or it will be a MAJOR dissapointment at that pricepoint.When will u have your review up joker?
Btw the pre sale offer is available now.

Tbh I am interested in the VB lookalike. If it equals or better the VB performance it will be a big time winner. Do u have this one on test Joker?

What other headphones are ceramic made? And what are the characteristics of these sort of headphones?

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #85 of 89

Quote:
Sure hope a151 beat out the PL50. Or it will be a MAJOR dissapointment at that pricepoint.When will u have your review up joker?

Tbh I am interested in the VB lookalike. If it equals or better the VB performance it will be a big time winner. Do u have this one on test Joker?

What other headphones are ceramic made? And what are the characteristics of these sort of headphones?

Joker says that the A151's are indeed better than the PL50's almost in everything except comfort. Ceramic made phones supposedly does [size=11pt]"not resonate in the audio frequencies[/size]". Joe says that he does prefer the more natural sound of the CC51's to the A151's. I think I will still order the A151's after |Joker's full review is posted.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #86 of 89

Quote:

A151 review up in multi-thread.

The VB-lookalike (aka SP51) is different from the Hippo set. It's a more conventional basshead earphone, i.e. mid-bass over sub-bass. I haven't spent much time with it since I like the A151 and CC51 a lot more.

There's a Nakamichi set that's ceramic. No clue what it sounds like but it's priced at around $200.

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #87 of 89
(I had to put a hat on to write this message)

Hats off to anyone employed at Meelectronics and that had anything to do with the design. Stupendous! Designed goods are my life; the CC51s, A151s, CX21s and CW31s struck me right away as very refined and mature, they look superb. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #88 of 89
Hey guys! Not to steal any of Joker's thunder, but I got a few samples of the upcoming IEM's. The CC51, M31, and M21 to be exact. 

So far (I've had them for about an hour, so nothing detailed yet, and all this can change.) the CC51 is obviously the most balanced, although with a bit of a bass hump (there's so much more to say, but Joker's said a good bit already so anyone interested can read what he's said. I'll comment on the latter two of which he's said little, if anything, about so far.), the M31 has the most mid bass (kinda struggles with low bass) yet the mids are pretty forward at the same time, and the M21 sounds a bit more spacious than the M31 with less of a bass hump, and more distant (They don't sound recessed, they're just deeper into the soundstage, which probably explains the illusion of more spaciousness. Compared to the M9, the M21 seems like a bit of a sidegrade, with a different, less bassy sound. The M9 is a bit more detailed and visceral though (using UE tips, which are my favorite to use with them. Haven't tried other tips with the new ones yet. The M31's and M21's didn't come with any extra tips. The CC51 does, because the microdriver sits at the end of the IEM therefore the nozzle is kinda huge. And to anyone planning on getting the CC51's, avoid covering the vents with the tips. They sounded more compressed imo.)

The M31's are probably the perfect budget IEM for pop, rock, and rap (ie. most modern radio music), and the M21 is more balanced and better for classical and most jazz. Again, these are very initial impressions and should be taken with a grain of salt until I've had more time with them. Just haven't read much about either and stating some stuff about them since there's not much said about them. Especially the M31, which I'm quite liking for what it is.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #89 of 89
I've only heard the M31 and M21 briefly but I clearly remember preferring the M21 for the reasons you are describing. I like the M21 better than the M11+, too, which I was quite happy about since the MSRP is $20 lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back