New Radiohead album in 5 days!!!
Feb 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #166 of 169
I think a robot could be programmed to make sound which would be perceived as music by those of the opinion that music requires emotion; in other words, I think a program could produce music and therefore emotion.  Emotion doesn't necessarily need to be in the sound itself, but rather in the listener.

Furthermore, is "emotionless" an emotion?

And do we even care?  This is a Radiohead thread, which while many don't like them, would generally be considered to be music.

Oh, and I almost forgot:

In my opinion  :)

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #167 of 169

Quote:
I think a robot could be programmed to make sound which would be perceived as music by those of the opinion that music requires emotion; in other words, I think a program could produce music and therefore emotion.  Emotion doesn't necessarily need to be in the sound itself, but rather in the listener.

Furthermore, is "emotionless" an emotion?

And do we even care?  This is a Radiohead thread, which while many don't like them, would generally be considered to be music.

Oh, and I almost forgot:

In my opinion  :)

Very funny
biggrin.gif

Wait... what's Radiohead?

Feb 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #168 of 169

Quote:
I'm hesitant to put radiohead on the same level as John Cage. By and large John Cage produced statements, moreso than music. In a way, Brian Eno did a similar thing, but I think Brian, although far from my favourite ambient artist, was largely more successful in creating new types of music than Cage ever was.

Furthermore, there are earlier instances of electricity in music from futurism, for example Machina Typographica which also used one of the oldest synthesisers.

As for the random thing, I think there are a lot of solo percussion pieces that are very unmusical and similarly, many ambient recordings that are "random" in a way that is unskilled - and tends to let the patches, programs, and field recordings do the talking which I am not really a fan of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcHJySm7ZO0

I strongly recommend listening to Machina Typographica, if only for out experimental and 'out there' it is. Futurism really did give serialism a run for it's money. There's also a lot of "music" that is more of less just sound effects, and largely works on emotion

Yeah, I wouldnt put Cage on the same level as Radiohead either. Is'nt all music a statement though? interestin point. I would say that what Cage and later Stockhausen were doing as opposed to the serialist's (who where no different to Beethoven and Brahms with their methodology) was a reaction following the war and a bounce effect from the endless romantic music that had been spurning out of europe for the previous 100 yrs or so. A want for new emotion? After all,nothing was going to be the same after the Nazi's.

I agree there are good and bad examples of Futurism, Avante Garde etc.. The Composers that stand out for me are Nono, Boulez, Cage. All 3 have been instumental in shaping modern music, both popular and classical. Cheers.

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #169 of 169

Live From the Basement, a live studio performance audio & video recording of The King of Limbs is available on pre-order on BD & DVD from Radiohead's website.

This will be my first Blu-Ray Disc! I will need to check out a nice BD drive for my next computer build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back