New Radiohead album in 5 days!!!
Feb 23, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #138 of 169
I am totally OK with people disliking the album.

but i regreat the 9$ i wasted. ill stick with the old ones for now, maybe in the future this grows on me who knows (but it appears to n¡be another  in rainbows, so i dont think so)

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #140 of 169
the album is "OK" 
popcorn.gif

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #141 of 169
I've listened to it a fair amount of times now, and have acquired quite a liking to it; it's definitely better than what most rock bands have produced lately. But it isn't Radiohead's most striking. Kid A was indeed a more ground-breaking album. That doesn't make this one uninteresting. It indeed has quite some affiliation with In Rainbows in the second part, and in the first part, the collaboration of Thom on Fly-Lo's Cosmogramma is palpable, albeit in a slow, measured way. That influence isn't to displease me, but I can see it would disappoint lovers of a more traditional rock sound, but then Radiohead likes exploring new grounds. I'm not sure however that it was most appropriate for those tracks to be released in that way, maybe a separate EP would have been better. But then we'd have only 4 tracks on the album, kind of a bit light. Maybe this whole release has been too hasty. This makes me curious about their next one, and about the contents of the bonus disc with the Newspaper Album.

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #142 of 169
It doesn't matter how technically skilled someone is.  Music isn't about how many complex rhythms and structures you can fit into 3 minutes.  It's about feeling, emotion.  It's art.  It's not a talent show. 

I haven't been that impressed by the album it seems a bit boring on my first couple listens.  But if this was the first album of a band called "My Girlfriend Wears Purple Stripes" or something like that, I think it would likely be hailed as one of the best of the year. 

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #145 of 169
I totally agree with that, all music needs emotion. I'd say that without emotion, you couldn't consider it music any more, just sound. The word music carries a certain meaning, which its etymology reveals.

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #146 of 169
Not their best, but I don't think it's trying to be. Also I think it would be pretty hard to back up In Rainbows, my personal favourite from them. Having said that, I agree with a few of the other users, TKOL is still better than what most groups are currently putting out there, which to be honest is not much. I'll give it a few more listens and see how I feel.

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #147 of 169
Really warming to the first half of the album. To me, the substance of the work is made apparent when taken in its entirety. The first few tracks aren't disconnected from the rest, as I initially thought. There's an arc here, subtle but focused, reaching rarified and pristine air midway through, with an immense payoff at the end. It's led me to rediscover how important Radiohead's music is to me. This is now my favourite since Kid A.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #148 of 169

Quote:
i'd say all music needs emotion.

Then you need to listen to more genres. Splittercore, Breakcore and neoclassical metal for the most part have no "emotion". Large elements of pattern-based progressive jazz also have little of it. Nor does Gabber, or most dance genres that spawned from the industrial and acid movements. One could argue noise has emotions attached to it, but I doubt anyone is going to sit down and actually tell you which one it is. Lots of house also lacks emotion, so does futurism and serialism. Even dubstep for the most part

And I'm just scraping the surface here.

Quote:
the wizard of oz said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I totally agree with that, all music needs emotion. I'd say that without emotion, you couldn't consider it music any more, just sound. The word music carries a certain meaning, which its etymology reveals.

That's not your call to make. You can certainly say "I dislike music that doesn't have emotion" (For example, I think splittercore, breakcore and house (that isn't deep or microhouse) are terrible - but I can't say they're not music.) Furthermore, there's even genres I hate that have emotion (post rock - easily one of the most homogeneous genres ever; and even rock music itself).

But whatever, you can sit there and call things you don't like "not music" if you like.

Quote:
olor1n said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really warming to the first half of the album. To me, the substance of the work is made apparent when taken in its entirety. The first few tracks aren't disconnected from the rest, as I initially thought. There's an arc here, subtle but focused, reaching rarified and pristine air midway through, with an immense payoff at the end. It's led me to rediscover how important Radiohead's music is to me. This is now my favourite since Kid A.

The first half of the album is still the blatantly superior half, in my opinion. I think the middle tracks are probably the best.

Quote:
coolguyalex said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not their best, but I don't think it's trying to be. Also I think it would be pretty hard to back up In Rainbows, my personal favourite from them. Having said that, I agree with a few of the other users, TKOL is still better than what most groups are currently putting out there, which to be honest is not much. I'll give it a few more listens and see how I feel.

I thought the bonus disc was better than the album for In Rainbows.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #149 of 169

Quote:
It doesn't matter how technically skilled someone is.  Music isn't about how many complex rhythms and structures you can fit into 3 minutes.  It's about feeling, emotion.  It's art.  It's not a talent show. 

I haven't been that impressed by the album it seems a bit boring on my first couple listens.  But if this was the first album of a band called "My Girlfriend Wears Purple Stripes" or something like that, I think it would likely be hailed as one of the best of the year. 

Or possibly pushed to the back of the shelves in a few days and never heard of again :)

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #150 of 169

Quote:
Then you need to listen to more genres. Splittercore, Breakcore and neoclassical metal for the most part have no "emotion". Large elements of pattern-based progressive jazz also have little of it. Nor does Gabber, or most dance genres that spawned from the industrial and acid movements. One could argue noise has emotions attached to it, but I doubt anyone is going to sit down and actually tell you which one it is. Lots of house also lacks emotion, so does futurism and serialism. Even dubstep for the most part

And I'm just scraping the surface here.

You can listen to music in a purely technical way I suppose, or at least mostly technical way but humans are emotional creatures and unless you have severe psychological issues you can't listen purely technically without feeling anything even if what you are feeling is simply awe.  But that is sad because music is not an ego battle.  All music itself has emotion.  No one can play an instrument without conveying some human emotion, without putting something of themselves into it.  In fact, there isn't much we can do without putting something of ourselves into it.

The only music that i think comes close is the music that is completely produced by corporations to create profits and has nothing to do with the artists playing the songs.  But even then, there are emotions even if they are totally contrived and fake- like sex, loneliness, heartbreak, friendship, and well mostly just sex. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back