New Radiohead album in 5 days!!!
Feb 25, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #151 of 169
Quote:

Then you need to listen to more genres. Splittercore, Breakcore and neoclassical metal for the most part have no "emotion". Large elements of pattern-based progressive jazz also have little of it. Nor does Gabber, or most dance genres that spawned from the industrial and acid movements. One could argue noise has emotions attached to it, but I doubt anyone is going to sit down and actually tell you which one it is. Lots of house also lacks emotion, so does futurism and serialism. Even dubstep for the most part

And I'm just scraping the surface here.

You forgot to end that post with "In my opinion"

There certainly are people out there that can find emotions in the genres that you listed... never mind the people who created the music. You just can't get any emotion out of it because everyone is different.

I personally can't get emotion out of genres like that either, but that doesn't give me the right to claim that there is no emotion in it, simply the right to claim that I personally cannot find it.

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #152 of 169
Some great points raised. Music is sooo complex, I actually love listening to music that doesn't promote any obvious emotion; love, anger, melancholy, motivation etc. Sometimes, I like to be in a alien place.. this for me is proper escapism and to be fair thats what I think Radiohead try to achieve. Just like Pink Floyd used to do..

The genius with Radiohead (and floyd) as far as I'm concerned is that they know how to tune into our normal emotions every now and again and the impact is massive!  

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #153 of 169
Pshhh I need to listen to more genres.
Maybe I do but why do you have to talk like your some music god.
But either way you haven't convinced me that some genres don't have emotion.
I listen to house music sometimes and I see emotion.
I think its easier to see it than not see it.

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #154 of 169

Quote:

MUSIC GOD HERE! HOW DARE YOU!! read again what I actually said.
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #156 of 169
Quote:

Mr. Green has spoken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #158 of 169

Quote:
I don't think he was addressing you with those comments.

Quote:

hahaha no lugbug1 i didnt know to quote a certain section so i didnt quote what mr.green responded to me.
my bad if you got it wrong....that wasnt pointed toward you.

HA HA NO PROBS! coff.. sorry, no probs!
wink_face.gif

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #159 of 169

Quote:

You forgot to end that post with "In my opinion"

Why would I do something so completely superfluous? I do so occasionally on these forums because people forget that music is, save for musicology, largely subjective. Adding "in my opinion" is just stating the obvious. It borders on tautological.

Forgive me if I think it's okay to leave a post hanging out there without it.

But anyway, I'd appreciate it if, for once, this site could get over the way I post, and either let threads be about WHAT is posted or WHAT the topic is and WHY we feel the way we do about particular things instead of WHO said what and HOW they said it. My memory is a bit fuzzy at the moment but I think this was a radiohead thread, not a Mr Green thread.

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #160 of 169

Quote:
Why would I do something so completely superfluous? I do so occasionally on these forums because people forget that music is, save for musicology, largely subjective. Adding "in my opinion" is just stating the obvious. It borders on tautological.

But anyway, I'd appreciate it if, for once, this site could get over the way I post, and either let threads be about WHAT is posted or WHAT the topic is and WHY we feel the way we do about particular things instead of WHO said what and HOW they said it. My memory is a bit fuzzy at the moment but I think this was a radiohead thread, not a Mr Green thread.

I actually like they way you post, and although I enjoy this album, I agree with most of what you have said so far in this thread.  I thought adding IMO would have been redundant myself, but whatever...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #161 of 169
I just completely disagree with the idea that some music has no emotion.  Any time someone plays an instrument, they are putting some of themselves into it.  You can't play an instrument or make music without communicating at least something about who you are.  Unless you just completely suck because then the music is just about a lack of skill.  But even math rock or whatever you want to call it, may be very technical and sterile sounding, but it is still communicating something about the humans that made the music. 

That's kind of the whole point of music, and it is why robots can't make music- because they are not humans and don't know what it is like to be a human.  And if there is a computer program that can make music, it is because the program was made by a human, who put themselves into it. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #162 of 169

Quote:
I just completely disagree with the idea that some music has no emotion.  Any time someone plays an instrument, they are putting some of themselves into it.  You can't play an instrument or make music without communicating at least something about who you are.  Unless you just completely suck because then the music is just about a lack of skill.  But even math rock or whatever you want to call it, may be very technical and sterile sounding, but it is still communicating something about the humans that made the music. 

That's kind of the whole point of music, and it is why robots can't make music- because they are not humans and don't know what it is like to be a human.  And if there is a computer program that can make music, it is because the program was made by a human, who put themselves into it. 

I think you could definitely program a computer to make music - it's a pretty simple medium. Many genres actually are largely written by machines with what's called arps (arpeggiators) and gates. In a way people are still playing and they've got to play the right thing, but it's also just them holding a button for a long period of time. House music would be an easy genre to replicate.

I'd love to know what emotion you think Thomas Bangalter is trying to portray in all his music (and let's face it, he oversaturates the French House genre).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0v1a-Ec8YU

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #163 of 169
Some of the more experimental stuff that Radiohead (and Floyd) have produced are not too far away from what John Cage was doing in the 1940's and 50's using electricity for the first time in music. If you listen to any recording of John Cage you wont feel any obvious emotion, in fact he was trying get you to look beyond our normal human emotions (if that is possible). He used large silences so you could contemplate, and every sound was as random as possible. He would give very minimal instructions to the orchestra, just point them in a certain direction.

I would say that there is no such thing as no emotion in any music, only new or alien feelings that can be brought out of us. Rock n Roll was once this! and it must have felt good!        

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #164 of 169

Quote:
Some of the more experimental stuff that Radiohead (and Floyd) have produced are not too far away from what John Cage was doing in the 1940's and 50's using electricity for the first time in music. If you listen to any recording of John Cage you wont feel any obvious emotion, in fact he was trying get you to look beyond our normal human emotions (if that is possible). He used large silences so you could contemplate, and every sound was as random as possible. He would give very minimal instructions to the orchestra, just point them in a certain direction.

I would say that there is no such thing as no emotion in any music, only new or alien feelings that can be brought out of us. Rock n Roll was once this! and it must have felt good!        

I'm hesitant to put radiohead on the same level as John Cage. By and large John Cage produced statements, moreso than music. In a way, Brian Eno did a similar thing, but I think Brian, although far from my favourite ambient artist, was largely more successful in creating new types of music than Cage ever was.

Furthermore, there are earlier instances of electricity in music from futurism, for example Machina Typographica which also used one of the oldest synthesisers.

As for the random thing, I think there are a lot of solo percussion pieces that are very unmusical and similarly, many ambient recordings that are "random" in a way that is unskilled - and tends to let the patches, programs, and field recordings do the talking which I am not really a fan of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcHJySm7ZO0

I strongly recommend listening to Machina Typographica, if only for out experimental and 'out there' it is. Futurism really did give serialism a run for it's money. There's also a lot of "music" that is more of less just sound effects, and largely works on emotion

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #165 of 169

Quote:

Fair enough.

The only reason why I said that is because I (and a few others) felt that you were speaking rather objectively.

But never mind. This clears things up. Let's get back to the music.

Quote:
LugBug1 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

As far as emotion goes, I think this is a pretty accurate statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back