New Questyle CMA400i
Feb 23, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #961 of 1,014
.. YES! Very good synergy with the AH-D9200, also in comparison to many more expensive amps in my collection :)

I only got this severe hissing issue with DSD files (e.g. Foobar) on the CMA400i when using PC and Master Volume in the Questyle Audio Control Panel is not set to zero:
Questyle.jpg
...but since you using DAP , this might be different reason.

In fact that turned out to be the solution. @Davy Wentzler from UAPP suggested to push the hardware volume in UAPP all the way up... So I set UAPP to Native DSD and shoved the sliders to maximum... And voilà.. It suddenly started working.. I still have to stay away from the M15 volume button, but that's only a minor issue. Bottom line is that it now works in all its DSD glory... ❤️🔥

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #962 of 1,014
Turns out UAPP has a -18db safety setting because the DSD landscape is so diverse.. With manufacturers putting in both digital gain and a physical volume control .. Where the digital gain then ruins the DSD signal. Since UAPP is not able to detect whether or not a DAC has a physical volume control, it puts the -18db as a safety. In the next version of UAPP the Questyle DAC will be added so that the automatic -18db setting does not apply to this particular DAC...

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #963 of 1,014
.. YES! Very good synergy with the AH-D9200, also in comparison to many more expensive amps in my collection :)

I only got this severe hissing issue with DSD files (e.g. Foobar) on the CMA400i when using PC and Master Volume in the Questyle Audio Control Panel is not set to zero:

...but since you using DAP , this might be different reason.

Update: I literally have been living inside my Denon AH-D9200 over the last few evenings, even to the extent that my wife started to complain .. But man, the combo of the Denon AH-D9200 and the CMA400i is audiophile bliss .... :hearts:

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #964 of 1,014
So .. a response to a post in another forum got me thinking .. I currently own a FiiO M15 DAP, and at home I connect it USB out to a Questyle CMA400i and use it to drive my Denon AH-D9200. Great pairing ...

But .. would anyone be able to indicate what result I could expect if I were to upgrade from my CMA400i to a CMA600i (both with an AK4490 DAC), and connect my FiiO M15 (dual AK4499) to the CMA600i line-in instead? That would (on paper) give a combination of a newer DAC with the CMA600i AMP section. I realise I should really audition that in order to be able to assess that, but I hope that you could at least give an indication on what to expect
🙂

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #965 of 1,014
So .. a response to a post in another forum got me thinking .. I currently own a FiiO M15 DAP, and at home I connect it USB out to a Questyle CMA400i and use it to drive my Denon AH-D9200. Great pairing ...

But .. would anyone be able to indicate what result I could expect if I were to upgrade from my CMA400i to a CMA600i (both with an AK4490 DAC), and connect my FiiO M15 (dual AK4499) to the CMA600i line-in instead? That would (on paper) give a combination of a newer DAC with the CMA600i AMP section. I realise I should really audition that in order to be able to assess that, but I hope that you could at least give an indication on what to expect
🙂

You can also modify your 400 with analog input.. I use it with my Chord dac sometimes.. the amp section is superb!

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #966 of 1,014
Just wanted to chime in now that I have had the CMA400i for 3 years and have not had any problems. Recently got the Fostex TH900 Pearl White and it is an amazing pairing. Overall for its price point, it checked all the boxes for me:
  • 4-Pin Balanced XLR output - Using with balanced cable for Focal Elear and Fostex TH900 PW, provides ample power to both headphones, don't need to go higher than 11 o'clock on the dial.
  • 2.5mm Balanced output - Using balanced cable for Shure SE846 and there is no background noise, pure black background.
  • DAC output - Using RCA stereo cable to KEF LS50 Wireless for DSD playback since the LS50 wireless does not support DSD.
  • USB OTG Support - Connected iPhone via OTG Camera Cable to USB input on CMA400i. Able to play all files native full resolution including DSD.
Overall I have been very happy with the CMA400i and see no need to upgrade any time soon.

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #967 of 1,014
Got one of these 2 weeks ago to replace an Audiolab M-DAC that is now being used in the living room stereo system. Wanted a DAC that could do 24/192 and DSD over USB. The M-DAC was limited to 24/96 on the USB connection. I was debating between this and the topping D70x Pro. Got this one because the local shop had a month old demo unit they were willing to sell me at a slight discount. Supposedly these are back ordered for the foreseeable future in Canada.

Here are my impressions:
  • The only other DAC or source I have to compare it with is a Audiolab M-DAC, Violectic V200 HPA and a Asus Xonar SE sound card.
  • I'm using it mostly as a DAC. The CMA400i seems to be neutral and detailed. The M-DAC has a punchier abet slightly colored sound.
  • The combination of detail and neutrality of the CMA400i coupled with the warmer sounding Violectric V200 HPA pairs very nicely. Just a nice mix of air, sparkle and detail on the HD800.
  • The headphone out does sound a little bright and dry on the HD800 using the SE output. More sibilant and less smooth compared to the V200. I have some custom balanced 4 pin XLR headphone cables coming in a couple of weeks to try out the balanced out.
  • Sound is fine on the Denon AH-D600 for both V200 and CMA400i SE output. I did not prefer one over the other with this headphone. It's no a hard to drive headphone so I'm not surprised. They even sounded good using the headphone amp on the Xonar SE sound card.
  • No noise could be heard when plugging in my Sony XBA-3 IEMs.
  • Build quality is top notch for the price.
  • The only thing missing is the toggle switch for DAC or AMP mode found on the CMA Twelve. I wish it would remember the last mode being used when powered off. It defaults to AMP mode when I mostly use it in DAC mode.
Hopefully they have their customer service issues sorted out.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #968 of 1,014
Got one of these 2 weeks ago to replace an Audiolab M-DAC that is now being used in the living room stereo system. Wanted a DAC that could do 24/192 and DSD over USB. The M-DAC was limited to 24/96 on the USB connection. I was debating between this and the topping D70x Pro. Got this one because the local shop had a month old demo unit they were willing to sell me at a slight discount. Supposedly these are back ordered for the foreseeable future in Canada.

Here are my impressions:
  • The only other DAC or source I have to compare it with is a Audiolab M-DAC, Violectic V200 HPA and a Asus Xonar SE sound card.
  • I'm using it mostly as a DAC. The CMA400i seems to be neutral and detailed. The M-DAC has a punchier abet slightly colored sound.
  • The combination of detail and neutrality of the CMA400i coupled with the warmer sounding Violectric V200 HPA pairs very nicely. Just a nice mix of air, sparkle and detail on the HD800.
  • The headphone out does sound a little bright and dry on the HD800 using the SE output. More sibilant and less smooth compared to the V200. I have some custom balanced 4 pin XLR headphone cables coming in a couple of weeks to try out the balanced out.
  • Sound is fine on the Denon AH-D600 for both V200 and CMA400i SE output. I did not prefer one over the other with this headphone. It's no a hard to drive headphone so I'm not surprised. They even sounded good using the headphone amp on the Xonar SE sound card.
  • No noise could be heard when plugging in my Sony XBA-3 IEMs.
  • Build quality is top notch for the price.
  • The only thing missing is the toggle switch for DAC or AMP mode found on the CMA Twelve. I wish it would remember the last mode being used when powered off. It defaults to AMP mode when I mostly use it in DAC mode.
Hopefully they have their customer service issues sorted out.
I think the CMA400i really shines when used as all-in-one unit for headphone listening, as pure DAC there are might be better options out nowadays (e.g. the new D70s). Your Violectric V200 HPA most likely is the superior amplifier in comparison (single-ended), but you should check out using balanced with the CMA400i (e.g. I really do like the Denon 9200 more on my CMA400i as on my Violectric V281). I especially like the vocal separation and forwardness of the Questyle, along with class A sweetness. Sibilance was not a characteristic I ever experienced with the CMA400i on any headphone myself. The lack of a hardware-switch (like on the Twelve) to "persist" DAC or AMP mode selection is really a weak point, I agree. Overall I still like the CMA400i very much and if I only could have one single unit, this would probably it!

Apr 20, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #969 of 1,014
Ended up switching to CMA Twelve Master. Feels like having reached my end-game setup... Breathtaking amp. Between the CMA400i and the Twelve Master it feels like going from adolescence to full maturity. The hints are there in the CMA400i, but the Twelve Master definitely brings everything home.

But even with the Twelve doing things better, the 400i is and remains a stellar device. At its price, the CMA400i definitely gives more expensive amps a run for their money. When they say 'The CMA400i is so damn good, it’s almost an existential threat to more upmarket devices' they do have a point...

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #970 of 1,014
Ended up switching to CMA Twelve Master. Feels like having reached my end-game setup... Breathtaking amp. Between the CMA400i and the Twelve Master it feels like going from adolescence to full maturity. The hints are there in the CMA400i, but the Twelve Master definitely brings everything home ❤️
Nice pickup. I was debating whether to get the CMA Twelve instead. The dealer stated it was a noticeable step up in sound quality to the CMA400i. The twelve master must bring the sound up another notches.

Apr 20, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #971 of 1,014
The dealer stated it was a noticeable step up in sound quality to the CMA400i.
...if a dealer would tell you something different, he would be out of business soon:sunglasses:

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #972 of 1,014
Nice pickup. I was debating whether to get the CMA Twelve instead. The dealer stated it was a noticeable step up in sound quality to the CMA400i. The twelve master must bring the sound up another notches.

Some people I spoke with said that the CMA400i and the Twelve are not that far apart actually .. Some of them actually voiced the opinion that the CMA400i is quite an underrated hidden gem delivering way above its price level. And that compared to the CMA400i both CMA Twelve versions were actually a slightly more difficult proposition than one would expect. They are better, yes, especially the Master. But $600 and $1100 better respectively? $600 yes but $1100 not necessarily. They found the CMA400i to be that good.

Once you come across good bargains though, it becomes a completely different proposition. I picked up the Twelve Master from a fellow head-fi member for quite a reasonable price, reducing the price difference between my pre-owned CMA400i and my new pre-owned Twelve Master to approx $675. That difference made me take the plunge as the Twelve Master originally was way above budget. My wife would never allow that 🤣

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #973 of 1,014
Some people I spoke with said that the CMA400i and the Twelve are not that far apart actually .. Some of them actually voiced the opinion that the CMA400i is quite an underrated hidden gem delivering way above its price level. And that compared to the CMA400i both CMA Twelve versions were actually a slightly more difficult proposition than one would expect. They are better, yes, especially the Master. But $1100 and $1600 better respectively? Not necessarily. They found the CMA400i to be that good.

Once you come across good bargains though, it becomes a completely different proposition. I picked up the Twelve Master from a fellow head-fi member for quite a reasonable price, reducing the price difference between my pre-owned CMA400i and my new pre-owned Twelve Master to approx $675. That difference made me take the plunge as the Twelve Master originally was way above budget. My wife would never allow that 🤣
I wasn't willing to spend almost double for the CMA Twelve. Glad you got the master at a discount.

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #974 of 1,014
I wasn't willing to spend almost double for the CMA Twelve. Glad you got the master at a discount.
I compared the 400 and twelve for hours with my HD800's in a local shop before i got my 400.. i really couldnt tell any difference in sound signature other then turning the volume knob closer to half on the 400 against the 12's 10 o'clock. 400 has loads of spare power even being the 'little brother' hence my choice. U need a really power hungry hp to run short.

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #975 of 1,014
I compared the 400 and twelve for hours with my HD800's in a local shop before i got my 400.. i really couldnt tell any difference in sound signature other then turning the volume knob closer to half on the 400 against the 12's 10 o'clock. 400 has loads of spare power even being the 'little brother' hence my choice. U need a really power hungry hp to run short.
Good to know. I definitely don't need the extra power. I listen to music between 9 and 10 o'clock 90% of the time. Max is 11 o'clock. This is on the lowest gain setting on all 3 of my amps with the HD800. My other HPs even lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back