New Questyle CMA400i
Apr 27, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #976 of 1,014
I compared the 400 and twelve for hours with my HD800's in a local shop before i got my 400.. i really couldnt tell any difference in sound signature other then turning the volume knob closer to half on the 400 against the 12's 10 o'clock. 400 has loads of spare power even being the 'little brother' hence my choice. U need a really power hungry hp to run short.
I can't compare with the regular Twelve, but I find the Twelve Master to be audibly better than the CMA400i.. Everything is more finished, has a much more refined and layered presentation, detail... I also agree about it being more powerful than the CMA400i, but to me that not only translates to a position on the volume knob, but really to a more solid round and mature foundation in the entire sound.. As I said earlier, perhaps not $1100 better, but definitely more than $600 better

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #977 of 1,014
I can't compare with the regular Twelve, but I find the Twelve Master to be audibly better than the CMA400i.. Everything is more finished, has a much more refined and layered presentation, detail... I also agree about it being more powerful than the CMA400i, but to me that not only translates to a position on the volume knob, but really to a more solid round and mature foundation in the entire sound.. As I said earlier, perhaps not $1100 better, but definitely more than $600 better
I was a regular twelve (black) so can't comment on a master.. i bought mine 2nd hand for the (funny) amount of 400 euros 2 years ago.. hard to beat that price/quality ratio😊 it was since i modded it with analog input when it really started to shine with my Chord DAC gear hooked up
See how its done here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/adding-an-analog-input-to-an-dac-amp-which-doesnt-have-one.912647/

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #978 of 1,014
My balanced cables arrived for the HD800. Can't really notice much difference between xlr balanced vs SE output base on a few songs tested with. They both sounded good. The only thing I can say for sure is the power output is higher. The volume knob is now at 9 instead of 10 o'clock at normal listening volumes.

Going to do some more comparing over the weekend.

I tried using the 2.5mm balanced output on a Sennheiser HD569 that is relatively easy to drive. Had to turn down the volume from 9 to 8 o'clock. Could channel imbalance become an issue that this level? Luckily the cable was only $20 shipped from eBay.

May 3, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #979 of 1,014
At the risk of sounding like shill, holy +1 on Deoxit (thanks to this thread I believe).

Was getting terrible ground hum - narrowed it down to the potentiometer (again, thanks to this thread). Was able to mostly mitigate with a 3-prong to 2-prong cheater, but still...

Picked up som Deoxit (D5) and sprayed it insode the pot. Tested it out this morning and 100% gone. Amazing.

So yeah, I guess if you're having THAT problem, give that a try - it's super easy (don't really have to take anything apart other than the top cover.

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #980 of 1,014
Just wanted to chime in now that I have had the CMA400i for 3 years and have not had any problems. Recently got the Fostex TH900 Pearl White and it is an amazing pairing. Overall for its price point, it checked all the boxes for me:
  • 4-Pin Balanced XLR output - Using with balanced cable for Focal Elear and Fostex TH900 PW, provides ample power to both headphones, don't need to go higher than 11 o'clock on the dial.
  • 2.5mm Balanced output - Using balanced cable for Shure SE846 and there is no background noise, pure black background.
  • DAC output - Using RCA stereo cable to KEF LS50 Wireless for DSD playback since the LS50 wireless does not support DSD.
  • USB OTG Support - Connected iPhone via OTG Camera Cable to USB input on CMA400i. Able to play all files native full resolution including DSD.
Overall I have been very happy with the CMA400i and see no need to upgrade any time soon.
Hi there, I’ve just got the CMA400i and can’t seek to get anything more than 48 khz from my iPhone with a lightning to USB camera adaptor. this includes hifi setting on Tidal, Apple Music lossless etc. any tricks to getting full resolution?

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #981 of 1,014
Hi there, I’ve just got the CMA400i and can’t seek to get anything more than 48 khz from my iPhone with a lightning to USB camera adaptor. this includes hifi setting on Tidal, Apple Music lossless etc. any tricks to getting full resolution?
Unfortunately not, mobile phones and tablets are not designed for upsampling.
More would certainly be possible, but that's up to the stream providers.
I think it probably has to do with being able to use something like this on the move.

Unfortunately, there are also no apps that support upsampling by logging in with the streaming provider.

If something interesting could be the Apple iPod touch, which is supposed to come in autumn.
Since Apple has changed, it might be possible to do more with the Apple hardware than what is currently available, possibly even app-based.
For example, no one is interested in the fact that the internal processor already does the preliminary work on where the signal will later go.

There are currently only players as apps in the stores, but without a streaming provider connection.
If they do, the files have to be pulled over, have Flac format or the music has to be purchased.
Then you can change the resolution, actually old baking for someone who listens to music is uninteresting.
Very few people still buy music.

Aug 8, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #982 of 1,014
Unfortunately not, mobile phones and tablets are not designed for upsampling.
More would certainly be possible, but that's up to the stream providers.
I think it probably has to do with being able to use something like this on the move.

Unfortunately, there are also no apps that support upsampling by logging in with the streaming provider.

If something interesting could be the Apple iPod touch, which is supposed to come in autumn.
Since Apple has changed, it might be possible to do more with the Apple hardware than what is currently available, possibly even app-based.
For example, no one is interested in the fact that the internal processor already does the preliminary work on where the signal will later go.

There are currently only players as apps in the stores, but without a streaming provider connection.
If they do, the files have to be pulled over, have Flac format or the music has to be purchased.
Then you can change the resolution, actually old baking for someone who listens to music is uninteresting.
Very few people still buy music.

I'm using a chord upscaler but the cma's spdif input accepts only 192k max. While the scaler can do 768khz.. So I use a chord dac in between

Sep 6, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #983 of 1,014
My balanced cables arrived for the HD800. Can't really notice much difference between xlr balanced vs SE output base on a few songs tested with. They both sounded good. The only thing I can say for sure is the power output is higher. The volume knob is now at 9 instead of 10 o'clock at normal listening volumes.
I had some balanced cables made for my Focal Elear by Custom Cans in the UK, and even with the gain turned to low, 10 o'clock is the maximum listening volume I can handle. This thing has a ridiculous amount of power.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #984 of 1,014
Is this thing still worth it 2022? Im thinking of buying a used unit for 400 euro. Does it make any sense to buy?

Would this be an improvement soundwise over Topping DX3 Pro+?

Im listening my (metal) music with Focal Elear and DT 1990 pro. Ive been using that Topping so far with these and now looking for something better.

May 3, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #986 of 1,014
I would second the comments from @Deleeh.

The soundstage, imaging, layering are all very good. It has enough power (or current output) to drive some of my less efficient planar headphones. It also has 2.5mm balanced output which is great for IEMs.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #987 of 1,014
Hello,

Yes, absolutely.
The good piece beats her topping with ease and it's worth it.
400€ for the unit is absolutely okay.

If you can do without Mqa or are not a fan of it, it is worth the money.
Thanks for that. Yes, me personally I dont care about mqa.

Unfortunately I dont have a chance to test listen it.

I dont wanna buy it if sound quality is pretty much the same or a little bit better than in Topping Im using. It has to be better so you can clearly tell.

May 4, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #988 of 1,014
The Questyle still has the Akm chip installed, which is quite good.
And it also has more power than the Topping.
So it is also very future-proof in terms of headphone drive.
In terms of sound, it will also be even better than the Topping.
Much more layers, silkier, smoother, more open, more pressure available.
You will probably notice this immediately after plugging in the headphones for the first time.

Aug 12, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #989 of 1,014
Hello everybody, is there someone who has Windows 11 and Questyle CMA 400i? On official web is only driver for Windows 10. I am planning to switch from Windows 10 to Windows 11 but I do not know if it will 100 % work on W11. Thank you very much for any information and have a nice day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back