New Questyle CMA400i
Jan 18, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #286 of 1,014
I am so confused, seems that are lots of people that have issues with the CMA400i... I am interested, I need a great and transparent, clean reference headphone amp for my LCD-x but seems are many things are not really working correctly with this H.Amp...or is just my perception??

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #287 of 1,014
I am so confused, seems that are lots of people that have issues with the CMA400i... I am interested, I need a great and transparent, clean reference headphone amp for my LCD-x but seems are many things are not really working correctly with this H.Amp...or is just my perception??

Could you be specific about the concerns you have, even better relating to your use case? I'm sure someone can help. We have not had any returned and generally UK customers seem very happy with it.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #288 of 1,014

If you have an X, consider the Deckard. They're literally built to work together.

And I happen to have a spare...

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #289 of 1,014
If you have an X, consider the Deckard. They're literally built to work together.

And I happen to have a spare...

I was thinking about it.... I heard it and like it a lot, but I need a headphone amp that is not colored, or hyped in the high frequencies or low end...I need a really clean reference, as I need it for mixing and not for pleasure with extra bits of color ... and seems that the Deckard is a bit bright... and I want a very natural sound...

Now, I may be wrong with my appreciation about the Deckard, as to be sincere I am not so experienced about headphone amps

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #291 of 1,014
Well, just reading this thread makes me wonder......

Wonder what?

Again we have had no complaints, what I have read on this thread is some issues with the drivers (not had drop-outs since we have had ours in our demo room), gain switches are on the bottom (not an issue unless you change the gain around lots), and the device does not have the stickiest of feet meaning it may slide around on your desk a little.

There was one isolated incident of a screw loose in the device, the owner managed to fix that.

All the rest of the thread has been praise for how good the CMA400i sounds for its size and price.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #292 of 1,014
I was thinking about it.... I heard it and like it, but I need a headphone amp that is not colored, or hyped in the high frequencies or low end...I need a really clean reference, as I need it for mixing and not for pleasure with extra bits of color ...

I have a well recognised recording engineer using 2x CMA800R with LCD2s here. He's really happy with the improvements. Obviously this isn't exactly the same product but the current mode circuit is well suited to what you want to do. Their products don't generally add lots of coloration and the studio market is one we are actively pursuing with Questyle and one they felt their products have relevance to from the start.

I think the other things mentioned here could be considered 'niggles'. Most products have them. There are no serious flaws. :)

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #293 of 1,014
I have a well recognised recording engineer using 2x CMA800R with LCD2s here. He's really happy with the improvements. Obviously this isn't exactly the same product but the current mode circuit is well suited to what you want to do. Their products don't generally add lots of coloration and the studio market is one we are actively pursuing with Questyle and one they felt their products have relevance to from the start.

I think the other things mentioned here could be considered 'niggles'. Most products have them. There are no serious flaws. :)

Now, many companies call their flagship products an improved version because of Extended Low End and Highs (think that can be extra but not real, flat or natural), and I get it...is a market thing and not necessarily always companies want to create the most natural and realistic products based on demand and popular taste.

So which Questyle model is really THE MOST transparent, clean and natural sounding headphone amp?

I am talking about sound, features are a plus but to me sound is the most important thing for my needs...

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #294 of 1,014
Now, many companies call their flagship products an improved version because of Extended Low End and Highs (think that can be extra but not real, flat or natural), and I get it...is a market thing and not necessarily always companies want to create the most natural and realistic products based on demand and popular taste.

So which Questyle model is really THE MOST transparent, clean and natural sounding headphone amp?

I am talking about sound, features are a plus but to me sound is the most important thing for my needs...

I don't think you understand what "extended" means.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #295 of 1,014

I consider Questyle as a 'filter-down' company. They conceived the CMA800R and the current mode circuit first, as a reference product with performance as the goal - it certainly achieved that. The technology developed and incorporated in that has filtered down to the CMA600i and CMA400i, which were designed to hit relative price points as a goal. You can believe it as marketing hype if you like but certainly on paper the specs show the CMA800R to out perform the CMA400i amp section, especially in distortion and SNR, which are key building blocks for a transparent design. But then it should given the price difference.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #296 of 1,014
@TSAVAlan, about volume indicator, is it lighted? on my unit I can only spot light passing thru those tiny holes, initially I thought it was something like lighted optical fibre. I wonder if something about the volume indicator is not working on my unit
It's not a lit volume meter. There are several status LEDs inside the unit besides the ones on the front panel that are bleeding through.

I literally called for a negatives roundup because we love the amp so much. I was curious if people had real problems with it. Most problems you read here are just physical nitpicks if anything. If you want a clean reference Dac/amp it should be more than capable for LCD-X.

I would strongly advise against this unless the person demo'd a Deckard. It has a very different character from the clean precision of a CMA400i.
My take on the Deckards vs. CMA400i: When I demo'd it for a while with LCD2s they blur the stereo imaging quite a bit and seem to add just slight coloration here and there. Someone will love it of course, but not me.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #297 of 1,014
I don't think you understand what "extended" means.
My point about "extended" in so many cases is that Manufacturers for example tend to say this version have "better extension in the lowend".... the product may go lower freq response but most likely they also boost the lower Freq range just to please a market that cares more about extra Lows and extra highs forgetting the importance of the mid-range.

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #298 of 1,014
It's not a lit volume meter. There are several status LEDs inside the unit besides the ones on the front panel that are bleeding through.

I would strongly advise against this unless the person demo'd a Deckard. It has a very different character from the clean precision of a CMA400i.
My take on the Deckards vs. CMA400i: When I demo'd it for a while with LCD2s they blur the stereo imaging quite a bit and seem to add just slight coloration here and there. Someone will love it of course, but not me.

Thanks for your advise....
Yes. I checked the deckard and is good but for me sounded a bit bright with somehow more bite a lil processed... for pleasure maybe be a great headphone amp for so many people, but in my case I need a headphone amp that is very clean, uncolored and well balanced in freq response.

I may need to check the CMA400i

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #299 of 1,014
Thanks for your advise....
Yes. I checked the deckard and is good but for me sounded a bit bright with somehow more bite a lil processed... for pleasure maybe be a great headphone amp for so many people, but in my case I need a headphone amp that is very clean, uncolored and well balanced in freq response.

I may need to check the CMA400i
To give you some context on what I used previously. For a long while I only had a TEAC UD-H01, an sub-par/average headamp with a decent DAC section. I upgraded the amp to an ifi iCan SE, which has a really neat bass boost button, but it was still a tight package in terms of presentation. When I tried the CMA400i it added a whole bunch of depth and room-feel to the music for lack of a better word. I could hear much better what was happening and the detail is addictive to me. I sold/still selling my entire previous setup because it's almost completely redundant now.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #300 of 1,014
To give you some context on what I used previously. For a long while I only had a TEAC UD-H01, an sub-par/average headamp with a decent DAC section. I upgraded the amp to an ifi iCan SE, which has a really neat bass boost button, but it was still a tight package in terms of presentation. When I tried the CMA400i it added a whole bunch of depth and room-feel to the music for lack of a better word. I could hear much better what was happening and the detail is addictive to me. I sold/still selling my entire previous setup because it's almost completely redundant now.

now, often happens that music lovers and audiophiles look for gear that makes music sounds always better, I totally understand that.... people want to have fun and enjoy music as much as they can.

in this specific situation I want a headphone amp that can reveals the good and ugly of that recordings...do you consider that CMA400i would do this?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back