New Questyle CMA400i
Jan 16, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #272 of 1,014
Hey guys got my CMA400i last week and have been having problems getting the unit to operate in exclusive mode, i.e windows volume control still works. I have both exclusive options checked, have disabled all enhancements, and still nothing i have a peachtree nova150 set up the same way and have never had these problems as it operates in exclusive mode no matter the app. Anyone else having this issue or is just me.

Jan 17, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #273 of 1,014
You know what guys, how about a negatives roundup for this awesome little dac/amp. Just because why not, we all know it sounds good by now. Me and YVWM will start:
Hey guys got my CMA400i last week and have been having problems getting the unit to operate in exclusive mode, i.e windows volume control still works. I have both exclusive options checked, have disabled all enhancements, and still nothing i have a peachtree nova150 set up the same way and have never had these problems as it operates in exclusive mode no matter the app. Anyone else having this issue or is just me.
Very yes, I also experienced this and thought it was just me. I just leave my volume on full tilt because other applications sound seems blocked.

Negative point 2 I have about this unit:
Considering the time and effort they put into manufacturing it and coating it so very nicely, would it have hurt to use a nicer power switch? I mean it quite literally looks like something from any electronics hobby store. Maybe use a heavy model (like on old lab equipment) and powder coat it like the rest of the unit for example. This thing seems like it can snap off or bend pretty easily.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #274 of 1,014
I don't get why the power level switches are on the bottom and also are difficult to move. If you switch between sensitive IEMs and big cans frequently it's a huge PITA.

Why is the 6.35mm output recessed? I literally had to use pliers to get a 3.5mm/6.35mm adapter out after the headphones popped out when I removed them.

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #277 of 1,014
LOL me too! I forgot about that incident. It does look nice, but then why not recess the 2.5mm?!

I'm actually glad the 2.5mm doesn't, most 2.5mm cables are L-plug and they'd never fit.

Also, as cool as the vertical stand is, I admit that the thing isn't really designed to look right sitting on its side. Getting a stand anyway, but still.

I do find it funny that the only negatives we got are in the physical design though.

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #278 of 1,014
The old prototype CMA400i shown at CES had a recessed 2.5mm plug, that was probably the first criticism of the unit. The other Questyle products such as the CMA800i, CMA800R, CMA600i also have a recessed 6.35mm. Little bit of a choice Questyle made and has stuck with over time.

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #279 of 1,014
Yeah I'm not sure I get why they did it, but hey. If the only criticisms I've got are related to aesthetics and physical traits, I'm happy.

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #280 of 1,014
Questyle does listen, the CMA400i finally has an indicator on the volume knob! Probably one of the most common things I heard feedback wise was that it was tough to know where the volume was on the older units. The little gain switches on the bottom are a little hold over from the CMA800P where we had to take the top off the unit to adjust the gain.

Questyle does things a bit differently but least they help out with gradual changes over time.

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #281 of 1,014
Hey given the output I'm sure not going to raise too much of a stink over a few little quibbles.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #283 of 1,014
YVWM47 said:

spookanide said:
Very yes, I also experienced this and thought it was just me. I just leave my volume on full tilt because other applications sound seems blocked.
Sounds like a good thing to make Questyle aware of. They seem to be decent at releasing firmware and drivers for their products and I imagine that issue could be fixed with one.

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #285 of 1,014
Questyle does listen, the CMA400i finally has an indicator on the volume knob! Probably one of the most common things I heard feedback wise was that it was tough to know where the volume was on the older units. The little gain switches on the bottom are a little hold over from the CMA800P where we had to take the top off the unit to adjust the gain.

Questyle does things a bit differently but least they help out with gradual changes over time.
@TSAVAlan, about volume indicator, is it lighted? on my unit I can only spot light passing thru those tiny holes, initially I thought it was something like lighted optical fibre. I wonder if something about the volume indicator is not working on my unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back