New Questyle CMA400i
Jan 27, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #317 of 1,014
Just found out about this amp and i looks awesome.
I use a pair of LCD-2F and are in the market for a new amp/dac.

Been looking at Schiit Jotunheim and deckard, but are now reading up on this.
How does it pair with LCD-2?
Like others have said it is excellent with the LCD2. I was using a demo unit we have it was an LCD2 non razor. I thought the synergy was super strong... Full recommendation from me as well

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #318 of 1,014
Question on the Questyle 400i...Do you have recommendations on the gain switches? I'm messing around, having gotten the unit last week, and so far, mostly loving it. I played a high def Grateful Dead album on flat and was disappointed to hear that the drums virtually disappeared...a problem considering they have two drummers. Then, I tried one switch on each side set to standard. Still considering that. Have also tried all four on the higher gain and some tunes were overwhelmed by bass. Maybe I'm still breaking in the unit? But it seemed a bit squishy like that.

Also, for all that design, couldn't they make switches you could move without a tool???

Thanks for your suggestions, advice. This is my first headphone amp...well, second..I also have a Chord Mojo, but wanted something for balanced headphones. Using Mr Speakers Ether Flow C and Westone4 iems.

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #319 of 1,014
Something sounds more than slightly wrong if the drums "disappeared" with a gain setting. There's no reason that should happen, it's not like the drums exist in a separate frequency band than everything else.

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #320 of 1,014
I second @SomeGuyDude , gain shouldn't affect bass. I set all my 4 switches to low, still plenty of volume for my hp, usually between 10 and 11 o’clock.
Saying this I don't know how or if setting the switches on an a unbalanced way can affect bass, as you can set different volumes for the current that is pushing Before the driver and the current that is pulling After. i.e. setting R+ to high and R- to Low will be different from setting R+ to Low and R- to high? Had never thought on it previously; if its the same then you have 3 gain options, H/H L/L and (H/L or L/H); a 3 position switch for each channel would be enough, Low/Mid/High, so why the 2 separate switches? For me is design/circuit wise easier to make since you have 4 separate paths for amplification.
My 2 cents

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #321 of 1,014
All 4 gain switches should be set the same, either all on high or all on low. If you set one on low and one on high on either the right or left channel you are 'unbalancing' the sound on that channel. The reason the gain switches are on the bottom and recessed is so they can be as close as possible to each amp channel electronics and so that they can't be accidentally moved.

Jan 28, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #322 of 1,014
All 4 gain switches should be set the same, either all on high or all on low. If you set one on low and one on high on either the right or left channel you are 'unbalancing' the sound on that channel. The reason the gain switches are on the bottom and recessed is so they can be as close as possible to each amp channel electronics and so that they can't be accidentally moved.
Thanks for the help. I guessed I missed that in the manual...was it in there?

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #323 of 1,014
Love the Amp so far. More than enoeno juiju to handle most headphones. I was wonwonder if anyone tried the input switches. It seems like when i switch from USB to optical, i have to cycle the power switch. Otherwise the volume doesn't seem to work properly.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #325 of 1,014
listening to Coldplay's "Parachutes" album right now with our LCD2 pre favor now out of the 400i. I needed some chill music and a laid back can today. Totally fitting the bill!! This album was such a big deal when it came out. Still excellent today I feel. Run it the whole way through.

Jan 29, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #326 of 1,014
Using Mr Speakers Ether Flow C and Westone4 iems.
Which of these 2 were you using to get a bunch of bass out of the high gain setting?

It seems like when i switch from USB to optical, i have to cycle the power switch. Otherwise the volume doesn't seem to work properly.
Just tried it on the PS3. Can confirm I need to do this when I switch on the PS3 after using the CMA400i in USB mode on the PC. It's a total bug, thankfully a power cycle takes just tiny moment.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #328 of 1,014
Hey,

I been looking all night and day trying to figure out if you can switch between headphone out and PRE out with this all-in-one. I am considering purchasing one but only if it allows me to use the PRE out for my active speakers and headphone amp for my headphones ( Individually ).

The all-in-one I have now mutes the PRE out once a headphones are plugged in. This works for me because I can choose whether to listen to my headphones without my speakers playing, or speakers playing without my headphones playing.

Can anyone help me out here? Thanks.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #329 of 1,014
Hey,

I been looking all night and day trying to figure out if you can switch between headphone out and PRE out with this all-in-one. I am considering purchasing one but only if it allows me to use the PRE out for my active speakers and headphone amp for my headphones ( Individually ).

The all-in-one I have now mutes the PRE out once a headphones are plugged in. This works for me because I can choose whether to listen to my headphones without my speakers playing, or speakers playing without my headphones playing.

Can anyone help me out here? Thanks.

Yes, there is a dedicated Function switch on the front that allows you to choose either the DAC or the Amp. You can only choose one or the other, not both at the same time.

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #330 of 1,014
Which of these 2 were you using to get a bunch of bass out of the high gain setting?

Just tried it on the PS3. Can confirm I need to do this when I switch on the PS3 after using the CMA400i in USB mode on the PC. It's a total bug, thankfully a power cycle takes just tiny moment.

I'm trying to replicate this. I have a PC running JRiver MC connected to USB and a QP2R connected to optical. I can switch between the two by cycling the inputs with no effect on volume. In what way does the volume 'not work properly' when you do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back