New Questyle CMA400i
Sep 13, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #736 of 1,014
Thank you. Do you know if Questyle 600i has been fixed regarding end song ticking noises. A ticking noise when a song ends and just before another begins.

I was told that 95% was fixed on models afrer serial number 500? Can you please confirm or input to this for the benefit of owners or buyers. Thank you

It's 100% fixed on current models. Olders models can be upgraded by firmware. The 'over 500' serial number came from a UK customer who had a high 400's serial which was newer and therefore problem free. 500 then became a safe cut off, but earlier models are fine. The point is there shouldn't be a reason for any CMA600i owner to be suffering with the original click problem. If yours is it should be returned to your nearest distributor for upgrade.

However, to fully clarify. The original problem was a seriously obtrusive click, this has been 100% fixed. As with numerous other DACs, it is still possible to hear extremely quiet clicks when PC sound settings are not set-up correctly, because of mis-matching the system sample rate. This can effect playback from online platforms like YouTube but this isn't an issue specific to, or a fault with, Questyle. It's just a matter of getting audio settings correct.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #737 of 1,014
It's 100% fixed on current models. Olders models can be upgraded by firmware. The 'over 500' serial number came from a UK customer who had a high 400's serial which was newer and therefore problem free. 500 then became a safe cut off, but earlier models are fine. The point is there shouldn't be a reason for any CMA600i owner to be suffering with the original click problem. If yours is it should be returned to your nearest distributor for upgrade.

However, to fully clarify. The original problem was a seriously obtrusive click, this has been 100% fixed. As with numerous other DACs, it is still possible to hear extremely quiet clicks when PC sound settings are not set-up correctly, because of mis-matching the system sample rate. This can effect playback from online platforms like YouTube but this isn't an issue specific to, or a fault with, Questyle. It's just a matter of getting audio settings correct.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the quick reply.
Just to clarify what serial numbers onwards should be fixed?

Sep 13, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #738 of 1,014
Does the balanced cable connection of Focal Clear to the CMA400I sound better than SE?

Hard to say. Lately I've listening mostly SE and love it, but this only possible because I have the CMA at half a meter from my head. Otherwise balanced extra power feels a bit more "sharp", less forgiving on the highs.

Sep 13, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #739 of 1,014
Really tempted by this. Already have a Mimby so may just for go for a Jotunheim for half the price. Still going back and forth though

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #740 of 1,014
Thank you for the quick reply.
Just to clarify what serial numbers onwards should be fixed?

There isn't an official cut-off that I know of. As above though, if you have the original problem you will know about it! For those who are considering a second hand purchase you just need to confirm the firmware version. This can be checked by looking in system sound control panel > properties (with CMA600i selected) > properties (again in the general tab) > driver tab. Under 'driver version' it needs to say v6.F3, this means it's either been updated or is a newer model without the problem in the first place. The older version is v6.C5, you don't want that. Not sure how you look on a OSX but I guess in a similar place, in sound settings.

upload_2018-9-14_8-13-0.png

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #741 of 1,014
Really tempted by this. Already have a Mimby so may just for go for a Jotunheim for half the price. Still going back and forth though
If you want a flexible setup I'd say stick with a stand-alone amp. Maybe look into an entry level violectric if you have budget for a CMA400?

Hard to say. Lately I've listening mostly SE and love it, but this only possible because I have the CMA at half a meter from my head. Otherwise balanced extra power feels a bit more "sharp", less forgiving on the highs.
Huh! Thought I was imagining things because I was using different cables.

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #742 of 1,014

The Jotunheim is half the price of the CMA400I or CMA600i in your location? Is that with AK4490 DAC OPTION?

In the UK prices are:
Jotunheim with AK4490 DAC = £510.
CMA400I = £795.
CMA600i = £1,099 - £1,199.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #743 of 1,014
The Jotunheim is half the price of the CMA400I or CMA600i in your location? Is that with AK4490 DAC OPTION?

In the UK prices are:
Jotunheim with AK4490 DAC = £510.
CMA400I = £795.
CMA600i = £1,099 - £1,199.
I am in the USA
Jot is $399 no tax amp only or $499 with same dac chip as CMA400i (I have a Mimby already so $399 for amp only)
CMA400i is $799

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #744 of 1,014
I am in the USA
Jot is $399 no tax amp only or $499 with same dac chip as CMA400i (I have a Mimby already so $399 for amp only)
CMA400i is $799
just get the jotunheim if you dont need the preamp function. I personally find it unacceptable that the jotunheim has no buttons to toggle the functions

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #745 of 1,014
Hi

I'm curious about the CMA400i (but not in a position to purchase yet), could someone clarify the following for me:

1) Can I use my QP1R via optical out to feed the CMA400i?
2) If so, will this allow the CMA400i to play my DSD files on my QP1R OK? (I understand that the CMA600i needs to use JRiver for this function to work and would by via PC - not a Mac?)
3) How does the DAC in the CMA400i compare to the DAC in the QP1R? 4) With regard to the CMA600i, I can't tell from the pictures but is that a remote sensor between the SE outputs and the internal/external toggle switch?

Many thanks

Sep 28, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #746 of 1,014
Hi

I'm curious about the CMA400i (but not in a position to purchase yet), could someone clarify the following for me:

1) Can I use my QP1R via optical out to feed the CMA400i?
2) If so, will this allow the CMA400i to play my DSD files on my QP1R OK? (I understand that the CMA600i needs to use JRiver for this function to work and would by via PC - not a Mac?)
3) How does the DAC in the CMA400i compare to the DAC in the QP1R? 4) With regard to the CMA600i, I can't tell from the pictures but is that a remote sensor between the SE outputs and the internal/external toggle switch?

Many thanks

Hi, CMA400i has an optical input so I guess 1) is yes
I post to notice however that AFAIK CMA400i only accepts DSD over the USB input, not on the optical or coaxial inputs

My 2 cents

Oct 1, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #748 of 1,014
Hi, CMA400i has an optical input so I guess 1) is yes
I post to notice however that AFAIK CMA400i only accepts DSD over the USB input, not on the optical or coaxial inputs

My 2 cents

Please someone correct me if my understanding is wrong here but I'm pretty sure DSD only ever works over USB? Optical/SPDIF cannot support it from file > DAC. Max via Optical is 96/24bit and max via SPDIF (coaxial) is 192/24bit. For anything else you have to connect via USB, regardless of the brand/product. Also it is only Questyle's True DSD direct system that does not work via MAC, which is shame but this is due to the Mac architecture. However, that doesn't mean you can't play DSD via a Mac. It still supports DSD over DoP64 and DoP128, which is how many other DACs handle DSD.

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #749 of 1,014
Thanks Matt

I didn't know that DSD only worked over USB. I have some of my DSD files converted to ALAC to allow playback on my Mac, so all is not lost!

Do you have any comments / insight on the relative merits of the DACs in the CMA400i and the QP1R?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back