New Questyle CMA400i
Dec 5, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #769 of 1,014
Hi just gauging opinion / thoughts on:

- Whether the CMA600i represents better value as it has been reduced to £850 at several outlets over the 400i at £730 (both new)?
- Whether my Shure SE846 would hiss with either?
- Whether I would be better off spending my money on upgrading my headphones (Shure SRH 840) to something else, rather than getting a headphone DAC/Amp combo. I'm kind of interested in Audeze LCD 2 Closed (can't do open backed headphones).

All of the above are currently outside my price range, but am clearing out / selling off some of my audio gear and maybe Santa will make a partial donation, but I want to use any funds wisely.

Thanks

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #772 of 1,014
It wont show up as a playback device if you disable it, could it be that?

It was Windows update (KB4471332) that I think knocked it out. I didn't disable it and it was gone even from Device Manager. I had to click "Show hidden devices", then uninstall it reboot and then reinstall the driver for Windows to see it again. This happened the other day when I updated Windows (KB4471332) and boom the DAC was not plugged in according to Windows. I couldn't figure it out so I just reformated. Then today Windows updated to (KB4471332) and again it was gone even from Device Manager. But, at least I figured out how to fix it.

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #773 of 1,014
Spoke too soon. After a few hours, my speakers starting beeping and again it was gone from Device Manager. This time I could not use the method as it didn't work. After rebooting a few time it now shows up as XMOS DFU in Device Manager.

Dec 18, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #776 of 1,014
I don't even own an optical cable. I'm taking it I need to get one to troubleshoot this thing?
It would definitely provide more info that's for sure. If it works via optical, then there's probably something wrong with the Questyle's USB input. And if it works there's a workaround too. If it doesn't worj, there's probably something wrong farther down the chain. Trying coax and/or using the preamp outs with speakers would tell you more too.

Dec 24, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #777 of 1,014
Ended up purchasing this tonight to replace my sort of dying Liquid Carbon + Stealth DC combo. I hope this won't disappoint after reading all the positive feedback!

Dec 26, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #778 of 1,014
It is a realy nice class a Amp /DAC. not much to dislike. I replace my Schitt kit with it and its a bit of class. No analog in but I suspect that is intentional.

I have a question you guys might be able to help with:

I have had the 400I for about a year now, I have it paired with HD660s's and oppo PM3's, sometimes my fostex 50 mad dogs. Loving it still. But I need some advice:
I need to add a surface pro 4 as a source (input) It only has USB 2.0 and DisplayPort as digital outputs.
I am already using the 400I's USB in for my desktop so I need to use a coax as there are two or optical. I have used an old fiio x3 to convert from USB to Coax but that is yet another device between my source and amp.
Is it possible to get a clean digital audio from the display port connecter on my surface (or any other pc for that matter) ? Or a better way to convert usb to coax /toslink ?
Any ideas welcome. :smile_phones:

Dec 27, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #780 of 1,014
Now why dident I think of that. damn good idea!, I have a USB switch and dident think of it. I have just tested it and it worked briliently, about a 3 second switchover time.

Thanks man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back