New Questyle CMA400i
Jun 25, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #707 of 1,014
Hello, guys!
I want to buy this device.
Do I need to change the power cable?

Hi.

No, unless it doesn't reach your plug :zipper_mouth: ...

Seriously, I am not the major cable believer, in special power cables. Saying that, I confess I have fancy Furutech 3/4 inch thick cable with xa-la-la metal plugs on my CMA400i - it looks awesome.
Bottom line, "need"? No.

Regards

Jul 3, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #709 of 1,014
in my experience 400i paired well with both audeze planars and dynamics. i loved that. yesterday i got a chance to use it as a source and a premap for my tube amp in my big stereo system and it sounded lovely. it is a great dac on its own.
Good stuff! Nice to hear you are utilizing the 400i for all that its worth. Sometimes people don't realize the swiss army knife that the 400i and 600i is. I feel like Zeos does a great job of explaining the 400i's versatility on youtube

Zeos explaining the 400i

Glad you're enjoying it

Jul 6, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #710 of 1,014
Hi all,

I have a 2Qute and NJC Reference II powering my HD800S. I’m thinking of replacing the DAC and amplifier with a CMA400i for convenience but can’t help wondering if the DAC section of the CMA400i will be a noticeable come down from the 2Qute. Reports of channel imbalance are a concern too.

Having been to a number of CanJams and upgraded from a STX soundcard, the only change in sound quality with the DACs was marginally less treble harshness / sibilance from the Hugo and 2Qute. However, this could have been due to replacing my solid-state Stax amplifier for a valve Stax amplifier.

I’d need to sell the 2Qute to finance the CMA400i but I’d rather not compromise overall sound quality with my HD800S. The main reasons to change are that the NJC amplifier won’t work in the US (one day I’ll move there to marry my fiancé) and the HD800S may produce better bass (all things being equal) with the CMA400i running balanced.

Thanks,

Martyn

Jul 9, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #711 of 1,014
Hi all,

I have a 2Qute and NJC Reference II powering my HD800S. I’m thinking of replacing the DAC and amplifier with a CMA400i for convenience but can’t help wondering if the DAC section of the CMA400i will be a noticeable come down from the 2Qute. Reports of channel imbalance are a concern too.

Having been to a number of CanJams and upgraded from a STX soundcard, the only change in sound quality with the DACs was marginally less treble harshness / sibilance from the Hugo and 2Qute. However, this could have been due to replacing my solid-state Stax amplifier for a valve Stax amplifier.

I’d need to sell the 2Qute to finance the CMA400i but I’d rather not compromise overall sound quality with my HD800S. The main reasons to change are that the NJC amplifier won’t work in the US (one day I’ll move there to marry my fiancé) and the HD800S may produce better bass (all things being equal) with the CMA400i running balanced.

Thanks,

Martyn

I haven't heard this exact combination but broadly speaking I'd agree with your comments on DACs. My personal experience has been amplification and balanced operation (with some headphones more than others) can have a more pronounced effect. The CMA400i was designed and priced to offer really good value so whilst it cost a bit less than your current products combined I'd expect the HB800S to respond really well on the amping side at least. Seeing as the CMA800 range and current mode circuit itself started life as a better amp for the HD800 specifically, the synergy should be really good.

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #718 of 1,014
Is it possible to have this hooked up to a pair of active speakers as a pre amp, and use to connect to another amp? Like the schiit jot?

cma400i_preamp.png

sorry for large image!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #720 of 1,014
Thanks I saw this! So I'm guess that means I can't do it concurrently at the same time. I can either use as a pre amp, or as a dac and bypass the internal amp to another external amp

I was reading that the RCA and XLR outputs can be used concurrently. In that case you could use one set for the speakers (probably XLR for monitors), and use the other set for your amp. Would like confirmation from an owner that this is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back