PCM: No
Bluetooth: Yes
Type: Home Amplifier
WIFI: No
SP200 SNR: 130dB, A-Weighted
SP200 Output Noise: 2.8uV, A-Weighted
SP200 THD+N (1kHz, 32 Ω): -122dB, 0.00007%
SP200 THD+N (20-20kHz , 32 Ω, -3dB): -117dB, 0.00013%
SP200 THD: -125dB, 0.00006% (1 kHz, 16 Ω, -3dB,)
SP200 Output Impedance: Near 0 Ω
SP200 Frequency Response: 0.1Hz - 500kHz(-3dB)
SP200 Gain: Low(+6dB), High(+18dB)
m200 Inputs: USB Type-B/Optical (SPDIF)/Coaxial
m200 PCM Sampling Frequencies: 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192/352.8/384/705.6/768 kHz
m200 Material: Metal
m200 Outputs: Balanced Out
m200 PCM Word Length: 16-bit/24-bit/32-bit
m200 Bluetooth: Yes
https://hifi-express.com/collection...-m200-audio-dac-sp200-headphone-amplifier-set
H3924c08aacaa4a4c92d97ba0dfdd9306c.jpg
Hfff4be51adc948a98813b79fd2168eda7.jpg

H8af79080becd4bd79a21c76033aaa0f1z.jpg
Hde09c691cc9842c38b0e84ae8ece0747h.jpg
Ha4f108e898404f1297d9dfa918a924f5T.jpg

Hi Mandy! Will the SP200 drive 600-ohm headphone okay? Look like it has enough power to do so, but not in the range of your recommended impedance. Thanks.

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #34 of 43
I don't have much to compare the m200 to as this is my only setup. I recently got my second pair of headphones - hifiman sundara because I was curious to hear what planar magnetic headphones sound like. The sundara's have a much clearer and bright sound. But the hd660s sound warmer and very musical. I love the sound of both and I love experimenting with different types of music. As my setup is all still very new I will need more time to burn in the equipment but I'm loving every minute of it.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #36 of 43
I am interested in the M200 for my home stereo. Directly into a power amp, so the SP200 isn't relevant to me.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger when M200 came out, but I wanted to see the measurements on ASR first. When Wolf posted his measurements about a month ago, that cooled me down. Not that Wolf's measurement were terrible (I think his commentary was a bit unfair) but they were quite different from the measurements on the ShenzhenAudio website. And Wolf's measurements were worse, none of them better. I DO believe SMSL's own measurements are honest, but it makes me wonder about Q&A, if there is significant difference between individual units.

I see a few comments from users here and there, and a few public reviews (VERY few). Owners mostly like the DAC based on subjective listening, and I am still pretty sure this is the one for me. If I could spend $500 I'd go with the Topping D70 for its dual AK4497 chips (which does measure better) since I'll be using XLR balanced out. But I am a poor schmuck and $500 isn't going to happen. So M200 still seems the right balance of features and price range for me.

But I am waiting for SOMETHING to resolve that discrepancy, that concern about quality control. Either another ASR measurement by amir or Wolf; or SMSL stating there was a bad batch; or Wolf posting that there was a problem with the cables or the APx555; or SMSL posting updated measurements of another unit (or several units); or whatever. Basically ANYTHING to explain what happened and/or resolve this.

I know I could return it, but I don't own an AP Audio Analyzer (!) so I wouldn't know whether I got a bad unit. And yes, it still matters :yum:

Please do NOT perceive this as SMSL bad mouthing. On the contrary, my point is precisely that I WANT to buy this thing, I think it's a fine DAC for the money. But something is off here.

@smsl mandy: Can you provide any insight that might explain what happened or help resolve this discrepancy? Thank you in advance!

(Note: I am not an ASR member, which is why I post here instead, seeing as Mandy is on both forums.)

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #38 of 43
Huh. Interesting deal. Been thinking about that amp anyway.

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #42 of 43
I am interested in the M200 for my home stereo. Directly into a power amp, so the SP200 isn't relevant to me.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger when M200 came out, but I wanted to see the measurements on ASR first. When Wolf posted his measurements about a month ago, that cooled me down. Not that Wolf's measurement were terrible (I think his commentary was a bit unfair) but they were quite different from the measurements on the ShenzhenAudio website. And Wolf's measurements were worse, none of them better. I DO believe SMSL's own measurements are honest, but it makes me wonder about Q&A, if there is significant difference between individual units.

I see a few comments from users here and there, and a few public reviews (VERY few). Owners mostly like the DAC based on subjective listening, and I am still pretty sure this is the one for me. If I could spend $500 I'd go with the Topping D70 for its dual AK4497 chips (which does measure better) since I'll be using XLR balanced out. But I am a poor schmuck and $500 isn't going to happen. So M200 still seems the right balance of features and price range for me.

But I am waiting for SOMETHING to resolve that discrepancy, that concern about quality control. Either another ASR measurement by amir or Wolf; or SMSL stating there was a bad batch; or Wolf posting that there was a problem with the cables or the APx555; or SMSL posting updated measurements of another unit (or several units); or whatever. Basically ANYTHING to explain what happened and/or resolve this.

I know I could return it, but I don't own an AP Audio Analyzer (!) so I wouldn't know whether I got a bad unit. And yes, it still matters :yum:

Please do NOT perceive this as SMSL bad mouthing. On the contrary, my point is precisely that I WANT to buy this thing, I think it's a fine DAC for the money. But something is off here.

@smsl mandy: Can you provide any insight that might explain what happened or help resolve this discrepancy? Thank you in advance!

(Note: I am not an ASR member, which is why I post here instead, seeing as Mandy is on both forums.)

Surprisingly little discussion of the M200 DAC, here and everywhere. I still haven't pulled the trigger on it -- other, less enjoyable matters have dominated my life lately.

But I am still interested. I really wish @smsl mandy would chime in on a possible explanation for the significant difference between its official SMSL measurements and the measurements posted on ASR. That discrepancy continues to baffle me. The cheaper SMSL M300 MkII (which also uses a single AK4497) measured considerably better on ASR.

All the excitement has now moved on to the new SMSL SU-9, which looks to be a great piece of kit, with much better design, build quality and interface -- of course at $440 compared to the $280 of M200. And using ES9038PRO.

While I would love the design and interface of the SU-9, I am still more interested in M200 -- and not only because of its lower price: I am not a big fan of ESS DACs when it comes to driving my Bryston amp and PMC speakers. I prefer a voltage-out DAC like the AK4497, with the resulting simpler output stage.

The m200 is excellent. As good as my benchmark or bryston dacs.

Thank you for sharing this. Those are high marks. I gather that you are using the M200 mostly with your SP200 (lovely picture). But have you also tested it directly into a power amp for driving floor speakers? And are you still satisfied after using it a few months?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #43 of 43
I've posted an M200 video review. In future videos I'll compare it to other DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back